BROKEN FLOWERS

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    I just watched the new Jim Jarmusch film BROKEN FLOWERS starring Bill
    Murray. I'm a moderate Jarmusch fan as I liekd COFFEE AND CIGARETTES,
    loved NIGHT ON EARTH and GHOST DOG, and thought DEAD MAN was very good

    As i was watching BROKEN FLOWERS, i was really engaged. Bil Murray was
    quite excellent again in a dramatic role (something that is no longer
    surprising), but added just that touch of acerbic wit in subtle facial
    expressions that made some scene priceless.

    Bill Murray's character (Don Johnston, "with a T") is an aging bachelor
    who gets a letter from an old girlfriend telling him that he has a son
    from their relatinoship. With help from a crime-novel writer friend,
    he revisits his old flames, Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swington
    (was that really her? wow, didn't look remotely the same as in NARNIA
    or CONSTANTINE!).

    Moments between actions tell great bits of story far beyond the actions
    themselves. The bits of the banal elements of life put into a context
    are extremely humorous (eg. the teenage girls jabbering on 20 topics in
    3 minutes) and there is some great dialogue.

    The ending was interesting. I liked it and i also didn't like it. It
    was very fitting and avoided being saccharine or cliche, yet on the
    other hand, it felt a bit hollow and pointless (which i suppose was the
    point).

    In the end, i really liked it. I think that it does require the
    viewere to be more patient than in the typical drama film and so will
    be "boring" or "tedious" to many, but for the others, it's quite an
    enjoyable film.

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 26, 2005

  2. Goro

    moviePig Guest

    Goro wrote:

    > I just watched the new Jim Jarmusch film BROKEN FLOWERS starring Bill
    > Murray. I'm a moderate Jarmusch fan as I liekd COFFEE AND CIGARETTES,
    > loved NIGHT ON EARTH and GHOST DOG, and thought DEAD MAN was very good
    >
    > As i was watching BROKEN FLOWERS, i was really engaged. Bil Murray was
    > quite excellent again in a dramatic role (something that is no longer
    > surprising), but added just that touch of acerbic wit in subtle facial
    > expressions that made some scene priceless.
    >
    > Bill Murray's character (Don Johnston, "with a T") is an aging bachelor
    > who gets a letter from an old girlfriend telling him that he has a son
    > from their relatinoship. With help from a crime-novel writer friend,
    > he revisits his old flames, Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swington
    > (was that really her? wow, didn't look remotely the same as in NARNIA
    > or CONSTANTINE!).
    >
    > Moments between actions tell great bits of story far beyond the actions
    > themselves. The bits of the banal elements of life put into a context
    > are extremely humorous (eg. the teenage girls jabbering on 20 topics in
    > 3 minutes) and there is some great dialogue.
    >
    > The ending was interesting. I liked it and i also didn't like it. It
    > was very fitting and avoided being saccharine or cliche, yet on the
    > other hand, it felt a bit hollow and pointless (which i suppose was the
    > point).
    >
    > In the end, i really liked it. I think that it does require the
    > viewere to be more patient than in the typical drama film and so will
    > be "boring" or "tedious" to many, but for the others, it's quite an
    > enjoyable film.

    Second the recommendation, fwiw. Although Jarmusch fans will certainly
    see it regardless, others may (and should) be drawn by its star-power.

    Btw, although I enjoyed each of the three "co-stars" (and find Swinton,
    in particular, terrific), Lange is the one whose BF character still
    lingers with me... even more than Murray's...

    --

    /---------------------------\
    | YOUR taste at work... |

    moviePig, Dec 26, 2005

  3. Goro

    Goro Guest

    moviePig wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    >
    > > I just watched the new Jim Jarmusch film BROKEN FLOWERS starring Bill
    > > Murray. I'm a moderate Jarmusch fan as I liekd COFFEE AND CIGARETTES,
    > > loved NIGHT ON EARTH and GHOST DOG, and thought DEAD MAN was very good
    > >
    > > As i was watching BROKEN FLOWERS, i was really engaged. Bil Murray was
    > > quite excellent again in a dramatic role (something that is no longer
    > > surprising), but added just that touch of acerbic wit in subtle facial
    > > expressions that made some scene priceless.
    > >
    > > Bill Murray's character (Don Johnston, "with a T") is an aging bachelor
    > > who gets a letter from an old girlfriend telling him that he has a son
    > > from their relatinoship. With help from a crime-novel writer friend,
    > > he revisits his old flames, Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swington
    > > (was that really her? wow, didn't look remotely the same as in NARNIA
    > > or CONSTANTINE!).
    > >
    > > Moments between actions tell great bits of story far beyond the actions
    > > themselves. The bits of the banal elements of life put into a context
    > > are extremely humorous (eg. the teenage girls jabbering on 20 topics in
    > > 3 minutes) and there is some great dialogue.
    > >
    > > The ending was interesting. I liked it and i also didn't like it. It
    > > was very fitting and avoided being saccharine or cliche, yet on the
    > > other hand, it felt a bit hollow and pointless (which i suppose was the
    > > point).
    > >
    > > In the end, i really liked it. I think that it does require the
    > > viewere to be more patient than in the typical drama film and so will
    > > be "boring" or "tedious" to many, but for the others, it's quite an
    > > enjoyable film.

    > Second the recommendation, fwiw. Although Jarmusch fans will certainly
    > see it regardless, others may (and should) be drawn by its star-power.
    >
    > Btw, although I enjoyed each of the three "co-stars" (and find Swinton,
    > in particular, terrific), Lange is the one whose BF character still
    > lingers with me... even more than Murray's...

    wate! Wasn't Lange the animal psychic...er , i mean "Communicator."?
    iirc she didn't have an onscreen BF?

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 26, 2005
  4. Goro

    jaybee Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > DEAD MAN was very good

    Yes!!

    "Have you got any tobacco?"

    jaybee, Dec 26, 2005
  5. In article <>, Goro
    <> wrote:

    > I just watched the new Jim Jarmusch film BROKEN FLOWERS starring Bill
    > Murray. I'm a moderate Jarmusch fan as I liekd COFFEE AND CIGARETTES,
    > loved NIGHT ON EARTH and GHOST DOG, and thought DEAD MAN was very good
    >
    > As i was watching BROKEN FLOWERS, i was really engaged. Bil Murray was
    > quite excellent again in a dramatic role (something that is no longer
    > surprising), but added just that touch of acerbic wit in subtle facial
    > expressions that made some scene priceless.
    >
    > Bill Murray's character (Don Johnston, "with a T") is an aging bachelor
    > who gets a letter from an old girlfriend telling him that he has a son
    > from their relatinoship. With help from a crime-novel writer friend,
    > he revisits his old flames, Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swington
    > (was that really her? wow, didn't look remotely the same as in NARNIA
    > or CONSTANTINE!).
    >
    > Moments between actions tell great bits of story far beyond the actions
    > themselves. The bits of the banal elements of life put into a context
    > are extremely humorous (eg. the teenage girls jabbering on 20 topics in
    > 3 minutes) and there is some great dialogue.
    >
    > The ending was interesting. I liked it and i also didn't like it. It
    > was very fitting and avoided being saccharine or cliche, yet on the
    > other hand, it felt a bit hollow and pointless (which i suppose was the
    > point).
    >
    > In the end, i really liked it. I think that it does require the
    > viewere to be more patient than in the typical drama film and so will
    > be "boring" or "tedious" to many, but for the others, it's quite an
    > enjoyable film.
    >
    > -goro-

    I liked the movie well enough. It had a good beginning, a great
    middle, but like many of today's Hollywood films, it just stopped! It
    didn't end, it just stopped!

    Personally I prefer movies that have an ending. It doesn't have to be
    the ending that I particularly want (say a happy ending) but I hate it
    when movies just STOP! "Sideways" is another example of this type of
    film. It just getting good, and then it just stops. You know, like
    the writer's pen ran out of ink, or someone decided that it was time to
    stop writing and start filming!

    Heinrich

    Heinrich Galland, Dec 26, 2005
  6. Goro

    moviePig Guest

    Goro wrote:

    > moviePig wrote:
    >
    >>Goro wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just watched the new Jim Jarmusch film BROKEN FLOWERS starring Bill
    >>>Murray. I'm a moderate Jarmusch fan as I liekd COFFEE AND CIGARETTES,
    >>>loved NIGHT ON EARTH and GHOST DOG, and thought DEAD MAN was very good
    >>>
    >>>As i was watching BROKEN FLOWERS, i was really engaged. Bil Murray was
    >>>quite excellent again in a dramatic role (something that is no longer
    >>>surprising), but added just that touch of acerbic wit in subtle facial
    >>>expressions that made some scene priceless.
    >>>
    >>>Bill Murray's character (Don Johnston, "with a T") is an aging bachelor
    >>>who gets a letter from an old girlfriend telling him that he has a son
    >>>from their relatinoship. With help from a crime-novel writer friend,
    >>>he revisits his old flames, Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Tilda Swington
    >>>(was that really her? wow, didn't look remotely the same as in NARNIA
    >>>or CONSTANTINE!).
    >>>
    >>>Moments between actions tell great bits of story far beyond the actions
    >>>themselves. The bits of the banal elements of life put into a context
    >>>are extremely humorous (eg. the teenage girls jabbering on 20 topics in
    >>>3 minutes) and there is some great dialogue.
    >>>
    >>>The ending was interesting. I liked it and i also didn't like it. It
    >>>was very fitting and avoided being saccharine or cliche, yet on the
    >>>other hand, it felt a bit hollow and pointless (which i suppose was the
    >>>point).
    >>>
    >>>In the end, i really liked it. I think that it does require the
    >>>viewere to be more patient than in the typical drama film and so will
    >>>be "boring" or "tedious" to many, but for the others, it's quite an
    >>>enjoyable film.

    >>Second the recommendation, fwiw. Although Jarmusch fans will certainly
    >>see it regardless, others may (and should) be drawn by its star-power.
    >>
    >>Btw, although I enjoyed each of the three "co-stars" (and find Swinton,
    >>in particular, terrific), Lange is the one whose BF character still
    >>lingers with me... even more than Murray's...

    > wate! Wasn't Lange the animal psychic...er , i mean "Communicator."?
    > iirc she didn't have an onscreen BF?

    (Can't parse "onscreen Broken Flower"...?)

    --

    /---------------------------\
    | YOUR taste at work... |

    moviePig, Dec 26, 2005
  7. Goro

    Goro Guest

    moviePig wrote:
    > Goro wrote:
    >
    > > moviePig wrote:

    > >>Second the recommendation, fwiw. Although Jarmusch fans will certainly
    > >>see it regardless, others may (and should) be drawn by its star-power.
    > >>
    > >>Btw, although I enjoyed each of the three "co-stars" (and find Swinton,
    > >>in particular, terrific), Lange is the one whose BF character still
    > >>lingers with me... even more than Murray's...

    > > wate! Wasn't Lange the animal psychic...er , i mean "Communicator."?
    > > iirc she didn't have an onscreen BF?

    > (Can't parse "onscreen Broken Flower"...?)

    heh. Thot you meant "Boy Friend" as that's another popular use of the
    BF acronym .

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 26, 2005