Broken ATA - recommend a replacement?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Chris Davies, Feb 8, 2008.

  1. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Hi folks,

    Shortly before Christmas I took the plunge and got a Grandstream 286
    from eBay. Updated the firmware and it worked happily until a couple
    of weeks ago. The original seller can't recall the place from where
    he purchased it, and Grandstream won't honour direct warranty claims.
    (Whether that's legal or not within the EU would also be interesting.)

    On the premise that I'd prefer a working ATA to a brick, I was hoping
    one of you could recommend me a cheap-ish replacement ATA, please?

    The Grandstream 286 only allowed for one SIP provider, no dial plan, one
    phone socket (and no POTS-side connection), so my minimum requirements
    aren't complex. I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows
    me to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
    selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of that.

    I have a maximum budget of about £50, and I don't want to be tied in to a
    specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be able to connect
    to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use DTMF including "*"
    and "#" during a call.

    Suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Feb 8, 2008

  2. Chris Davies

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:06:42 +0000, Chris Davies
    <> wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >Shortly before Christmas I took the plunge and got a Grandstream 286
    >from eBay. Updated the firmware and it worked happily until a couple
    >of weeks ago. The original seller can't recall the place from where
    >he purchased it, and Grandstream won't honour direct warranty claims.
    >(Whether that's legal or not within the EU would also be interesting.)
    >
    >On the premise that I'd prefer a working ATA to a brick, I was hoping
    >one of you could recommend me a cheap-ish replacement ATA, please?
    >

    >The Grandstream 286 only allowed for one SIP provider, no dial plan, one
    >phone socket (and no POTS-side connection), so my minimum requirements
    >aren't complex. I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows
    >me to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
    >selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of that.
    >
    >I have a maximum budget of about £50, and I don't want to be tied in to a
    >specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be able to connect
    >to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use DTMF including "*"
    >and "#" during a call.
    >
    >Suggestions would be much appreciated.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Chris

    The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
    different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
    incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
    landline also.
    Broadbandstuff:-
    http://tinyurl.com/2mnfxd
    Alternatively you could look at a PAP2 and use voxalot.com to assist
    in unlimited outgoing providers. The PAP2 has 2 separate lines.
    Beware: Buy a new UNLOCKED PAP2. Don't go for secondhand ones on Ebay
    etc. as they could well be unlocked Vonage boxes.
    Broadbandstuff:-
    http://tinyurl.com/2oud6w
    Both the above ATAs have dial plans and so permit user friendly
    dialling.

    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---
    Brian A, Feb 9, 2008

  3. Chris Davies

    TheFug Guest

    Brian A schreef:
    > On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:06:42 +0000, Chris Davies
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> Shortly before Christmas I took the plunge and got a Grandstream 286
    >>from eBay. Updated the firmware and it worked happily until a couple
    >> of weeks ago. The original seller can't recall the place from where
    >> he purchased it, and Grandstream won't honour direct warranty claims.
    >> (Whether that's legal or not within the EU would also be interesting.)
    >>
    >> On the premise that I'd prefer a working ATA to a brick, I was hoping
    >> one of you could recommend me a cheap-ish replacement ATA, please?
    >>

    >> The Grandstream 286 only allowed for one SIP provider, no dial plan, one
    >> phone socket (and no POTS-side connection), so my minimum requirements
    >> aren't complex. I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows
    >> me to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
    >> selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of that.
    >>
    >> I have a maximum budget of about £50, and I don't want to be tied in to a
    >> specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be able to connect
    >> to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use DTMF including "*"
    >> and "#" during a call.
    >>
    >> Suggestions would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chris

    > The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
    > different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
    > incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
    > landline also.
    > Broadbandstuff:-
    > http://tinyurl.com/2mnfxd
    > Alternatively you could look at a PAP2 and use voxalot.com to assist
    > in unlimited outgoing providers. The PAP2 has 2 separate lines.
    > Beware: Buy a new UNLOCKED PAP2. Don't go for secondhand ones on Ebay
    > etc. as they could well be unlocked Vonage boxes.
    > Broadbandstuff:-
    > http://tinyurl.com/2oud6w
    > Both the above ATAs have dial plans and so permit user friendly
    > dialling.
    >

    > ---
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    > ---

    If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
    service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
    also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
    features, where you can have your say in..

    --

    The Fug.

    ( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )
    TheFug, Feb 10, 2008
  4. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    TheFug <> wrote:
    > If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
    > service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
    > also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
    > features, where you can have your say in..

    Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
    mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)

    Chris
    Chris Davies, Feb 10, 2008
  5. Chris Davies

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:50:10 +0000, Chris Davies
    <> wrote:

    >TheFug <> wrote:
    >> If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
    >> service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
    >> also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
    >> features, where you can have your say in..

    >Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
    >mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)
    >
    >Chris

    I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
    sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
    It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
    that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
    tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
    system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
    As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
    a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
    prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
    pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
    exploitable ideas.

    ---
    Brian A, Feb 11, 2008
  6. Chris Davies

    TheFug Guest

    Brian A schreef:
    > On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:50:10 +0000, Chris Davies
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> TheFug <> wrote:
    >>> If you want a multitude of in en outgoing providers you can also use a
    >>> service like Mysipswitch, it's a new (and free) service, which i use
    >>> also, it has great support, and is also in the process of adding new
    >>> features, where you can have your say in..

    >> Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
    >> mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)
    >>
    >> Chris

    > I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
    > sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
    > It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
    > that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
    > tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
    > system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
    > As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
    > a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
    > prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
    > pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
    > exploitable ideas.
    >
    > ---
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    > ---

    I just use it :) sofar no complaints, it works, and very fine, i guess
    you hear more complaints about paid serviceses, MySIPSwitch has a good
    online status, on top of that it's free, so using it, is for everyone a
    win win situation :)
    You save buying expensive equipment, because you use the MySIPSwitch
    features, also easy to use with WiFi phones, because you manage your
    dialplan on your Mysipswitch logon via any web-browser.

    TheFug, Feb 11, 2008
  7. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Brian A <> wrote:
    > The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
    > different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
    > incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
    > landline also.

    Thanks for that. I've now read around on the SPA-3102 and the PAP2.
    However, what I'm struggling with, is to determine the difference in
    features and/or reliability between them. I think I've got it, but
    perhaps you could just confirm this?

    SPA 3102 features (I think):
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3473

    * One FXS telephone port
    * One FXO connection to PSTN
    * One inbound VoIP provider
    * Several (up to five?) outbound VoIP providers
    * Controlled routing between PSTN and VoIP providers

    PAP2 features (I think):
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3508

    * Two FXS telephone ports
    * /No/ FXO connection to PSTN
    * One inbound VoIP provider per FXS port (independent configs)
    * Some (how many?) outbound VoIP providers

    Based on that understanding, I've got a number of questions:

    * SPA3102: is it easy (or possible) to switch between VoIP and PSTN
    "on demand" from the phone handset? (How?)

    * SPA3102: Why does it have two 100base-T ethernet ports?

    * Is the choice of outbound VoIP provider determined by a
    dialplan, or "on demand" from the phone handset?

    * Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?

    * Do both these devices need a US style RJ11 to UK/BT style
    telephone socket adapter for each FXS port, so that the phone
    will ring?
    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2370

    * SPA3102: If the power fails, do you get a pass-through between
    the FXS and FXO?

    Many thanks for your help.
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Feb 12, 2008
  8. Chris Davies

    TheFug Guest

    Chris Davies schreef:
    > Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >> [...] I'd /like/ multiple SIP providers, a dial plan that allows me
    >> to have "local" numbers prefixed with 01423, and a per-call POTS/VoIP
    >> selector that isn't simply "*" or "#". But I don't /need/ any of
    >> that. I have a maximum budget of about £50, and I don't want to be
    >> tied in to a specific VoIP provider. What I need from an ATA is to be
    >> able to connect to at least one SIP provider, and to be able to use
    >> DTMF including "*" and "#" during a call.

    > Brian A <> wrote:
    >> The price of the SPA-3102 is reasonably priced and will permit up to 5
    >> different outgoing providers and one (same as one of the outgoing)
    >> incoming provider. The SPA-3102 will permit integration with a
    >> landline also.

    > Thanks for that. I've now read around on the SPA-3102 and the PAP2.
    > However, what I'm struggling with, is to determine the difference in
    > features and/or reliability between them. I think I've got it, but
    > perhaps you could just confirm this?
    >

    > SPA 3102 features (I think):
    > http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3473
    >
    > * One FXS telephone port
    > * One FXO connection to PSTN
    > * One inbound VoIP provider
    > * Several (up to five?) outbound VoIP providers
    > * Controlled routing between PSTN and VoIP providers
    >

    > PAP2 features (I think):
    > http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3508
    >
    > * Two FXS telephone ports
    > * /No/ FXO connection to PSTN
    > * One inbound VoIP provider per FXS port (independent configs)
    > * Some (how many?) outbound VoIP providers
    >

    > Based on that understanding, I've got a number of questions:
    >
    > * SPA3102: is it easy (or possible) to switch between VoIP and PSTN
    > "on demand" from the phone handset? (How?)

    you can set a (phone)button for that, but you can also set that in your
    dialplan, for certain numbers, to be dialed over landline (like
    emergency numbers)

    > * SPA3102: Why does it have two 100base-T ethernet ports?

    That way, you can set it between your pc and ethernet,(in & out) or you
    put it on its own lan port on the router. (then you only use one port)
    That last option is the better one, > QoS

    > * Is the choice of outbound VoIP provider determined by a
    > dialplan, or "on demand" from the phone handset?

    You can do both, you can make a "smart" dialplan, or you make a "prefix"
    like: *1 *2 by dialing *1[telephonenumber] = provider 1
    *2[telephonenumber] =provider 2
    > * Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?

    the SPA3102 has a "trick"for that :) if you mean C(aller)ID

    > * Do both these devices need a US style RJ11 to UK/BT style
    > telephone socket adapter for each FXS port, so that the phone
    > will ring?
    > http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2370

    i guess you need the adapter for the UK standard

    > * SPA3102: If the power fails, do you get a pass-through between
    > the FXS and FXO?

    Yes.

    TheFug, Feb 12, 2008
  9. Chris Davies

    Jono Guest

    TheFug submitted this idea :
    >> * Do these devices work with, and provide, BT style CLID ?
    >>

    > the SPA3102 has a "trick"for that :) if you mean C(aller)ID

    What do you mean by "trick"? Are you thinking about outbound CLI
    presentation?

    I think the OP was asking if the devices support the displaying of CLID
    on the connected handsets. If that's the case, to the OP, yes!
    Jono, Feb 12, 2008
  10. Chris Davies

    Herman Guest

    "TheFug" <> wrote in message
    > Brian A schreef:
    >> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 21:50:10 +0000, Chris Davies
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the suggestion... do you know what's in it for
    >>> mysipswitch? (They presumably need some sort of revenue stream.)
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
    >> sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
    >> It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
    >> that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
    >> tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
    >> system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
    >> As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
    >> a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
    >> prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
    >> pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
    >> exploitable ideas.
    >>
    >> ---
    >> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >> ---

    > I just use it :) sofar no complaints, it works, and very fine, i guess you
    > hear more complaints about paid serviceses, MySIPSwitch has a good online
    > status, on top of that it's free, so using it, is for everyone a win win
    > situation :)
    > You save buying expensive equipment, because you use the MySIPSwitch
    > features, also easy to use with WiFi phones, because you manage your
    > dialplan on your Mysipswitch logon via any web-browser.
    >
    > --
    >
    > The Fug.
    >
    > ( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )

    Voxalot is a paying version of this
    Herman, Feb 12, 2008
  11. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    Jono <> wrote:
    > I think the OP was asking if the devices support the displaying of CLID
    > on the connected handsets. If that's the case, to the OP, yes!

    Yes, I was trying to ascertain whether either the SPA3102 could understand
    inbound "BT style" CLID from the PSTN line, and whether it can present
    incoming call details to the phone using that same "BT style" CLID.

    It's starting to look like the SPA3120 is what I'm after. Thank you all
    for your comments!

    Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Feb 12, 2008
  12. Chris Davies

    TheFug Guest

    Herman schreef:
    > "TheFug" <> wrote in message
    >> Brian A schreef:

    >>> I suppose we can only guess. It is, as you can see from the site,
    >>> sponsored by Blueface - an Irish company.
    >>> It may be that they are benefitting by results of a research project
    >>> that may glean a commercial product and, possibly, they might get some
    >>> tax relief on it. It might also enhance their own commerical VoIP
    >>> system and so assist in retaining and pleasing their customers.
    >>> As the project appears to be maintained by volunteers that means that
    >>> a large slice of the potential running costs are eliminated. It could
    >>> prove a very good investment for Blueface - research without having to
    >>> pay the researchers but with an outcome of possible commerically
    >>> exploitable ideas.
    >>>
    >>> ---
    >>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    >>> ---

    >> I just use it :) sofar no complaints, it works, and very fine, i guess you
    >> hear more complaints about paid serviceses, MySIPSwitch has a good online
    >> status, on top of that it's free, so using it, is for everyone a win win
    >> situation :)
    >> You save buying expensive equipment, because you use the MySIPSwitch
    >> features, also easy to use with WiFi phones, because you manage your
    >> dialplan on your Mysipswitch logon via any web-browser.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> The Fug.
    >>
    >> ( VoIP/SIP switched by: www.mysipswitch.com )

    > Voxalot is a paying version of this

    And ?

    TheFug, Feb 12, 2008
  13. Chris Davies

    Chris Davies Guest

    TheFug <> wrote:
    > And ?

    Almost 50 lines of quoted text for a one word response? Please would
    you trim your posts (I guess your comment related to the single line
    mentioning voxalot?)

    Cheers!
    Chris
    Chris Davies, Feb 13, 2008