Broadvoice - Local Number?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by gus, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. gus

    gus Guest

    I live in San Francisco, but also have a home in Mexico, from which I
    make
    many calls back to the US. I would like to purchase a Sipura 3000 DTA,
    sign
    up for a Broadvoice account, assign myself a local number in my San
    Francisco
    415 area code, configure the Sipura here, take it to Mexico, install it
    in my home
    there, and thereafter make calls back to POTS (non-VIOP) telephones
    here in
    San Francisco. Can I do so, and ...

    ...... although the calls will physically originate in Mexico, the
    billing will be
    as if they originated in San Francisco. In other words, all
    (from-Mexico) calls
    will be included in my Broadvoice US-unlimited calling plan?????

    [Not as important, but .... how do they do this? Does Broadvoice
    service recognize
    me based on the MAC address of the Sipura ..... which is the same
    whether the
    Sipura is physically in the US or in Mexico???].

    Thanx!

    gus, Feb 25, 2005

  2. "gus" <> wrote in message
    >I live in San Francisco, but also have a home in Mexico, from which I
    > make
    > many calls back to the US. I would like to purchase a Sipura 3000 DTA,
    > sign
    > up for a Broadvoice account, assign myself a local number in my San
    > Francisco
    > 415 area code, configure the Sipura here, take it to Mexico, install it
    > in my home
    > there, and thereafter make calls back to POTS (non-VIOP) telephones
    > here in
    > San Francisco. Can I do so, and ...
    >
    > ..... although the calls will physically originate in Mexico, the
    > billing will be
    > as if they originated in San Francisco. In other words, all
    > (from-Mexico) calls
    > will be included in my Broadvoice US-unlimited calling plan?????
    >
    > [Not as important, but .... how do they do this? Does Broadvoice
    > service recognize
    > me based on the MAC address of the Sipura ..... which is the same
    > whether the
    > Sipura is physically in the US or in Mexico???].
    >
    > Thanx!

    Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use the Sipura in
    Mexico.

    Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San Francisco.

    It works by the phone registering you on the network based on your
    username/account/phone number and password.

    You could if you wanted to get a British (UK) number from www.sipgate.co.uk
    and use it in Mexico and it would be as if you are in the UK. In fact I have
    a London (UK) number, when I live in Birmingham (UK). I also have a USA
    number too.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 25, 2005

  3. gus

    Rick Merrill Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use the Sipura in
    > Mexico.
    >
    > Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San Francisco.
    >
    > It works by the phone registering you on the network based on your
    > username/account/phone number and password.

    "As if.." logically yes, but are there no practical differences? For
    example, if the VoIP server for establishing your connection is IN San
    Fran, might you not see some differences? (just curious)

    Rick Merrill, Feb 25, 2005
  4. gus

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use
    >> the Sipura in Mexico.
    >>
    >> Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San
    >> Francisco. It works by the phone registering you on the network based
    >> on your
    >> username/account/phone number and password.

    > "As if.." logically yes, but are there no practical differences? For
    > example, if the VoIP server for establishing your connection is IN
    > San Fran, might you not see some differences? (just curious)

    No. It doesn't matter where you attach to the internet, your VoIP system
    will work as if you were in the area your number is located in.

    Note that billing is the same as if you were there too, so a "local" call
    might not be so local if it has to cross the Atlantic and back ;-)

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 25, 2005
  5. gus

    Ivor Jones Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > "gus" <> wrote in message
    >> I live in San Francisco, but also have a home in Mexico, from
    >> which I make
    >> many calls back to the US. I would like to purchase a Sipura 3000
    >> DTA, sign
    >> up for a Broadvoice account, assign myself a local number in my San
    >> Francisco
    >> 415 area code, configure the Sipura here, take it to Mexico,
    >> install it in my home
    >> there, and thereafter make calls back to POTS (non-VIOP) telephones
    >> here in
    >> San Francisco. Can I do so, and ...
    >>
    >> ..... although the calls will physically originate in Mexico, the
    >> billing will be
    >> as if they originated in San Francisco. In other words, all
    >> (from-Mexico) calls
    >> will be included in my Broadvoice US-unlimited calling plan?????
    >>
    >> [Not as important, but .... how do they do this? Does Broadvoice
    >> service recognize
    >> me based on the MAC address of the Sipura ..... which is the same
    >> whether the
    >> Sipura is physically in the US or in Mexico???].
    >>
    >> Thanx!
    >>

    > Yes you can assign yourself a San Francisco number, and then use
    > the Sipura in Mexico.
    >
    > Whilst in Mexico you phone will work as if you are in San Francisco.
    >
    > It works by the phone registering you on the network based on your
    > username/account/phone number and password.
    >
    > You could if you wanted to get a British (UK) number from
    > www.sipgate.co.uk and use it in Mexico and it would be as if you
    > are in the UK. In fact I have a London (UK) number, when I live in
    > Birmingham (UK). I also have a USA number too.

    Note that to get a geographical UK number on Sipgate, you must do the
    initial registration from a British IP address.

    Where in Birmingham are you..? I'm in Solihull..! Email me (address in
    sig)

    --

    Ivor

    (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

    Ivor Jones, Feb 25, 2005