    or disable the SSID broadcast. I'm going to be
    configuring an Windows XP machine via a wireless
    connection. Do I disable the SSID broadcast option?

    Sam, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Sam

    Sooner Al Guest

    There is real no good reason to disable the broadcast of your network SSID. Your much better off
    using strong encryption, strong passwords, etc...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >I have a two computers connected by a wireless router.
    > I'm configuring the router and it has an option to enable
    > or disable the SSID broadcast. I'm going to be
    > configuring an Windows XP machine via a wireless
    > connection. Do I disable the SSID broadcast option?

    ---

    Sooner Al, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Sam

    Tom Guest

    Windows XP requires you to broadcast SSID. So, you'll
    need to enable this option. Details here.

    us;811427

    group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights...

    >"Sam" <> wrote in

    message
    >>I have a two computers connected by a wireless router.
    >> I'm configuring the router and it has an option to

    enable
    >> or disable the SSID broadcast. I'm going to be
    >> configuring an Windows XP machine via a wireless
    >> connection. Do I disable the SSID broadcast option?

    >---
    >Checked by AVG anti-virus system

    (http://www.grisoft.com).

    7/2/2004

    Tom, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Sam

    Guest Guest

    disabling SSID broadcast, eventhrough the default is set
    to broadcast.

    Guest, Jul 3, 2004
  5. Sam

    Serhan BAKIR Guest

    here is what lynksis says about ssid
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/page10.asp

    <>, iletide sunu yazdi

    Serhan BAKIR, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Sam

    Jack Guest

    Hi.
    Some Wireless Hardware will not work with Broadcast Off, many will.

    It is a very simple thing to try.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Sam

    Dave Guest

    too bad they didn't write xp to agree with linksys's view of the world.

    Dave, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Sam

    Sooner Al Guest

    You might be interested in this long thread over on the DSL Reports forums concerning the issue of
    broadcast or no broadcast of SSID enhancing your network security...

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8735225~mode=flat

    Personally, I broadcast my network SSID and take other measures to secure access to my home LAN
    including WPA-PSK with a very long random key...

    --

    "Dave" <> wrote in message news:%23lQj$...
    > too bad they didn't write xp to agree with linksys's view of the world.
    >
    > "Serhan BAKIR" <> wrote in message
    >> here is what lynksis says about ssid
    >> http://www.linksys.com/edu/page10.asp
    >>
    >> <>, iletide sunu yazdi

    ---

    Sooner Al, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Sam

    Sooner Al Guest

    Not to beat a dead horse, but look at Kismet which can decloak hidden SSID's... See the "Features"
    section...

    http://www.kismetwireless.net/

    --

    "Sooner Al" <> wrote in message
    > You might be interested in this long thread over on the DSL Reports forums concerning the issue of
    > broadcast or no broadcast of SSID enhancing your network security...
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8735225~mode=flat
    >
    > Personally, I broadcast my network SSID and take other measures to secure access to my home LAN
    > including WPA-PSK with a very long random key...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Dave" <> wrote in message news:%23lQj$...
    >> too bad they didn't write xp to agree with linksys's view of the world.
    >>
    >> "Serhan BAKIR" <> wrote in message
    >>> here is what lynksis says about ssid
    >>> http://www.linksys.com/edu/page10.asp
    >>>
    >>> <>, iletide sunu yazdi

    ---

    Sooner Al, Jul 4, 2004
  10. "Sooner Al" <> wrote in message
    > Not to beat a dead horse, but look at Kismet which can decloak hidden

    SSID's... See the "Features"
    > section...
    >
    > http://www.kismetwireless.net/

    There isn't any such thing as a "hidden SSID" at all out there. Once traffic
    starts between a client and a WAP, the SSID is exposed in those
    communications.

    Russ Kaufmann, Jul 5, 2004
  11. Sam

    Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Windows XP requires you to broadcast SSID. So, you'll
    > need to enable this option. Details here.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
    > us;811427

    That's interesting. I'm running XP Home SP1 on a laptop, and the
    Netgear WGR614V5 router is set NOT to broadcast SSID, and I'm not having
    any problem accessing the router from the laptop.

    Stranger

    , Nov 15, 2004
  12. It becomes a problem when you have a neighbor who also has a wireless router
    and their signal overlaps yours.

    It's all explained here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 15, 2004
  13. Sam

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Carey Holzman" <> wrote in message news:ep$...
    > It becomes a problem when you have a neighbor who also has a wireless router
    > and their signal overlaps yours.

    And also the neigbor's SSID must be same as yours.
    (so a hijacker can sniff your SSID and set it to their AP to "capture" your PC -
    in this case only mutual authentication of PC and network/AP can help )
    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 15, 2004
  14. No, the name of the SSID has nothing to do with it. Go back and re-read the
    knowledgebase article please.

    Carey Holzman, Nov 16, 2004
  15. Sam

    Pavel A. Guest

    "Carey Holzman" <> wrote in message news:...
    > No, the name of the SSID has nothing to do with it. Go back and re-read the
    > knowledgebase article please.

    Carey, I've read it.
    Again: a non-hidden AP will override any hidden AP *with same SSID*.
    If the SSID of a non-hidden AP is not in the preferred list, and connection
    to non-preferred APs is disabled - then no problem, you won't connect
    to it anyway.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 16, 2004
  16. I have no idea where you got that quote. The name of the SSID is irrelevant.
    Let me quote it for you:

    When your Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 (SP1 or SP2)-based
    Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) client computer is in the proximity of two
    wireless access points, and one of the access points is broadcasting its
    Service Set Identifier (SSID) but the other is not, your computer always
    connects to the access point that is broadcasting its SSID. This occurs
    regardless of the preference order of the networks that are configured on
    the Preferred Networks list.

    Additionally, when your computer is connected to an access point that is not
    broadcasting its SSID, and another access point that is broadcasting its
    SSID is enabled nearby, your computer automatically connects to the access

    Carey Holzman, Nov 16, 2004
  17. Sam

    Pavel A. Guest

    Apologies for being not clear enough. What I wrote
    was not a quotation from that KB article, it was in addition to it
    (based on some "insider knowledge" and experience ).

    If XP machine is is connected to AP1 that is not
    broadcasting its SSID, and AP2 that is broadcasting its
    SSID (*different from that of AP1*) appears nearby, and XP switches to
    AP2 - then the 802.11 driver is defective and needs to be updated.
    (assuming Wireless configuration is done properly and no other applications
    interfere with Wzcsvc, and no unusual RF conditions )

    Regards,
    Pavel A.

    Pavel A., Nov 17, 2004
  18. Thanks for info Pavel. I have personal experience with this issue with at
    least three different customer locations where there was no setting that
    made a difference on the XP machines. The SSID in each case was not being
    broadcast and they each had a different SSID that was being broadcast that
    the wireless PCs would randomly connect and disconnect to.

    By enabling the SSID for each of these three customers, the wireless
    problems went away.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 17, 2004
  19. Sam

    Pavel A. Guest

    Carey , AFAIK this is a bad driver. Good drivers should return the SSID
    of the associated AP in the scan list, even if the SSID is missing in the
    actual AP beacon. Then wzcsvc will see that it still is connected
    to a prefferred AP and has no reason to switch away.
    If you connect to a hidden AP, and it becomes visible
    in the scan list - the driver does this correctly.

    Unfortunately, the spec on 802.11 divers in WinXP DDK is outdated,
    the latest spec is available separately on the WHDC site. Also, Windows HCT
    does not test working with hidden APs. Recent driver updates
    most probably have this issue fixed.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Nov 18, 2004
  20. That may be true. I have avoided this configuration ever since. The only
    commonality was it was all Linksys equipment (routers, nic's) with the
    latest drivers and firmware available at the time.

    Thanks for the added info.

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Nov 18, 2004