    device before it gets out of range?

    Thanks very much for your insight on this.

    John
    John, Feb 13, 2006

  2. Hi,

    I was interested in this too, there is a freeware package called
    MeetingPoint, this allows you to send out a short message as a contact, so
    you type in your subject and message, and as you walk down the street, it
    automatically sends it to any bluetooth devices within range - however, they
    do have to accept the connection. I am not sure if you can override that
    part of bluetooth.

    But imagine that you walk into ASDA, and immediately your phone tells you
    that Garlic Bread in Aisle 14 is Buy One Get One Free?????!!!!

    Is that spamming????!!!

    computervaleting.co.uk
    computervaleting.co.uk, Feb 13, 2006

  3. to reply via email remove "nospamfcuk"
    "computervaleting.co.uk" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was interested in this too, there is a freeware package called
    > MeetingPoint, this allows you to send out a short message as a contact, so
    > you type in your subject and message, and as you walk down the street, it
    > automatically sends it to any bluetooth devices within range - however,

    they
    > do have to accept the connection. I am not sure if you can override that
    > part of bluetooth.
    >
    > But imagine that you walk into ASDA, and immediately your phone tells you
    > that Garlic Bread in Aisle 14 is Buy One Get One Free?????!!!!
    >
    > Is that spamming????!!!
    >
    > computervaleting.co.uk

    I too would like to know if this is possible, I would love to be able to go
    to Morrisons and have them tell me whats on offer via a Bluetooth SMS or
    something... this would really cool and hey guy's if its not possible then I
    think your on to something.

    --
    br,
    Danny - Dr. Nokia
    Daniel @ Mobile -X- TREME, Feb 13, 2006
  4. John

    Taylor Guest

    "Daniel @ Mobile -X- TREME" <> wrote in
    message news:dsqgnj$mbf$-infra.bt.com...
    > I too would like to know if this is possible, I would love to be able to
    > go
    > to Morrisons and have them tell me whats on offer via a Bluetooth SMS or
    > something... this would really cool and hey guy's if its not possible then
    > think your on to something.

    That would be shite Daniel; what hallucinogenic drugs have you been taking,
    either orally or through injections??!

    1) 'Morrisons' is a horrible market chain.

    2) It's 'is' in the above instance due to the fact 'Morrisons' is not a
    plural, but in fact a brand name, and even in the eventually it imposes the
    ideal of more than one, it's 'is' over 'are' in this case.

    3) It just isn't going to happen, at least not with bluetooth.
    Taylor, Feb 13, 2006
  5. John

    JD Guest

    John wrote:
    > Is it possible to broadcast a bluetooth message to any device within a
    > certain range? Or do you have to pair with a device before you can
    > send a message which they can choose to accept or reject? Is it
    > possible to send the message even if you're not paired with a device
    > and for them to choose to accept or reject? Or would it just not go
    > through unless you are paired?
    >
    > I am just curious because this could be useful for a number of
    > reasons. I am not thinking along the lines of advertising or spamming
    > or anything like that in this instance, but was just curious whether
    > this is possible?
    >
    > I am also interested in what the average range is for a bluetooth
    > device before it gets out of range?
    >
    > Thanks very much for your insight on this.
    >
    > John

    While we are all on the subject of bluetooth, a friend has asked me if
    it is possible for him to connect his laptop to his phone via bluetooth
    and surf the Internet via his phone, I assume this is possible how would
    I go about finding information/ software to accomplish this ?

    JD
    JD, Feb 13, 2006
  6. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:38:56 GMT, "computervaleting.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I was interested in this too, there is a freeware package called
    >MeetingPoint, this allows you to send out a short message as a contact, so
    >you type in your subject and message, and as you walk down the street, it
    >automatically sends it to any bluetooth devices within range - however, they
    >do have to accept the connection. I am not sure if you can override that
    >part of bluetooth.

    Before the connection is accepted though does it just tell you who is
    trying to send you something, or does it actually say what the name of
    the file is? If it said the name of the file that would be a good
    thing because you could name the file in a way that would give the
    person a better clue as to what it was regarding, and it may help them
    decipher whether it was spam or not.

    >But imagine that you walk into ASDA, and immediately your phone tells you
    >that Garlic Bread in Aisle 14 is Buy One Get One Free?????!!!!

    LOL

    I'd be more impressed if ASDA gave you a motorised trolley with
    steering wheel and throttle, that you could either stand at the back
    on it, or sit down and it whisked you around at 20 MPH. Have you been
    to that ASDA in Manchester by City's new ground? It's massive! I'm
    sure if you went up and down every aisle you would have covered a few
    miles.

    >Is that spamming????!!!

    I guess that would be unless it gave you the choice of accepting the
    message or not.

    I was thinking more along the lines of broadcasting within the
    neighbourhood for example information about your missing pet, or
    recent burglaries in the area (neighbourhood watch), sex offenders in
    the area, or even at work informing colleagues of people who had been
    robbed or attacked in certain areas after work while on their way
    home. The last one may be a good idea in places of work that are not
    offices or were some employees don't have access to company email or
    online news etc.

    I'm not exactly sure what the range is on bluetooth though? I'm sure
    it is only 10 meters for class 2? But I am sure it is 100m for class
    1? The only thing is I have no idea what the difference is between
    class 1 and class 2, and what sort of files or info you could send via
    these different class standards?

    John
    John, Feb 13, 2006
  7. John

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Nokia have some feature that works as a kind of webserver in the phone and
    you can set it to deliver a page of your choice when someone nearby requests
    it via bluetooth. Can't remember what they call it; found by accident when
    looking for something on nokia.com but requires Series 60 phone so lost
    interest.

    > While we are all on the subject of bluetooth, a friend has asked me if
    > it is possible for him to connect his laptop to his phone via bluetooth
    > and surf the Internet via his phone, I assume this is possible how would
    > I go about finding information/ software to accomplish this ?

    Reasonably easy to do, works a bit slower than landline dialup but not bad.
    Exact method varies depending which network you are on. I have a contract
    Vodafone and use their ConnectMe software.
    http://www.vodafonebusiness.co.uk/index.php?page=127
    Joe Harrison, Feb 13, 2006
  8. John

    Guest Guest

    What I do,

    Is add my own name and contact to my address book, click on send via
    Bluetooth and try to send.

    Sometimes it says data sent.......sometimes data sending failed.

    Would be nice if there was an app to just send contacts without them havin
    to accept....its only like an SMS.....

    Shaun Okeefe
    Undernet User-Committee
    Webmasters / Translators / Promotions

    Guest, Feb 14, 2006
  9. John

    Daniel Guest

    What does annoy me about bluetooth is the phone will not alert you
    (vibrate/ring) when asking you to accept the file.

    Dan
    Daniel, Feb 14, 2006
  10. Moin,

    Am Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:58:18 +0000 schrieb John:

    > Is it possible to broadcast a bluetooth message to any device within a
    > certain range?

    From a technical standpoint: no. The usual protocols for sending things
    with Bluetooth all work with one-to-one connections and not
    one-to-many. (If I recall correctly then the underlying Bluetooth
    transport protocols do indeed allow for broadcast, but it's not used.)

    However, for your application that doesn't really matter, because you
    will be fine when you simply connect to each device in range one after
    the other.

    Note though that in order to connect to a device you must know its
    Bluetooth address. In Bluetooth these are acquired though a process
    called inquiry, but in order for that to succeed the other device must
    be in inquiry scan mode (usually called "visible" in layman's terms).

    Due to the tremendous amount of Bluetooth related security
    vulnerabilities these days most Bluetooth devices can be expected to be
    switched to 'invisible', which will make them virtually inaccessible to
    you.

    > Or do you have to pair with a device before you can send a message
    > which they can choose to accept or reject?

    That really depends on what you are trying to do with which target
    device. "Pairing" is the process of establishing authentication keys
    which allow for secure (authenticated and/or encrypted) connections,
    and thus is mostly only necessary for connections that require such
    security (synchronizing your address book, etc.).

    What you want to do can usually be accomplished by OBEX push, which
    usually is possible anonymously and unauthenticated/unencrypted
    (typical use case: if you want to push your business card to a random
    acquaintance you just met you won't want to go through the pairing
    procedure). However: The security policy is determined and enforced by
    both devices, and I did see mobile phones that required a pairing just
    for OBEX push (which is broken behavior, if you ask me).

    If the other device doesn't want to play along with you, you really
    can't do anything about it. (Well, some of the time you can, because
    mobile phone Bluetooth stacks tend to have security vulnerabilities
    more often than not, but that's a different story.)

    > Is it possible to send the message even if you're not paired with a
    > device and for them to choose to accept or reject?

    That is precisely what OBEX push is for. It allows you to send
    arbitrary objects (business cards typically, but audio files etc. might
    be possible, depending on the phone at the other side) and have the
    recipient chose to accept them or not. Again: there are countless
    variations on this theme: some phones simply accept everything and
    store it temporarily in an inbox for the owner to chose from; most
    phones ask their owner for permission, but the amount of detail in that
    question varies greatly (typical information that is given in the
    question includes the remote device's name, the file's name and the
    file's size, though some phones do not show some or all of these
    infos.) And some devices, Windows PCs using Microsoft's Bluetooth stack
    for example, will require their owner to initiate the receive procedure
    on his side of the connection first (again: broken behavior if you ask
    me).

    > I am also interested in what the average range is for a bluetooth
    > device before it gets out of range?

    Depends (again) on your device and the other device. Below 10 meters is
    a fairly safe bet. There are devices spec'd for up to 100 meters, but
    these typically aren't mobile phones but rather PC dongles. Normally
    you won't get the range advantage if not both devices are of the 100
    meter variety ("class 1" in Bluetooth terminology), but it has been
    shown that you can greatly increase your range if you just use a huge
    directional antenna, see http://trifinite.org/trifinite_stuff_lds.html

    > Thanks very much for your insight on this.

    I'd recommend you read some more on Bluetooth basics. The wikipedia
    might not be the worst place to start:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBEX

    --
    Henryk Plötz
    Grüße aus Berlin
    Henryk =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Pl=F6tz?=, Feb 15, 2006
  11. Moin,

    Am Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:38:12 +0000 schrieb JD:

    > While we are all on the subject of bluetooth, a friend has asked me
    > if it is possible for him to connect his laptop to his phone via
    > bluetooth and surf the Internet via his phone, I assume this is
    > possible how would I go about finding information/ software to
    > accomplish this ?

    Depends on your friend's phone and its capabilities as well as on you
    friend's laptop's Bluetooth stack and its capabilities. Simply read the
    phone's fine manual. These tend to describe the process in excruciating
    detail. (Or at least: Tell us the exact make of the phone you're
    talking about so that we can read the manual for you.)

    Henryk =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Pl=F6tz?=, Feb 15, 2006
  12. John

    clifto Guest

    computervaleting.co.uk wrote:
    > But imagine that you walk into ASDA, and immediately your phone tells you
    > that Garlic Bread in Aisle 14 is Buy One Get One Free?????!!!!
    >
    > Is that spamming????!!!

    Yes, unless you specifically requested such notices before they sent you the
    first one.

    --
    Hillary Clinton lambasted the 24-hour delay between the Cheney hunting accident
    and his notifying the press. If asked why it took her 6 DAYS to notify anyone
    clifto, Feb 17, 2006
  13. John

    baileys2611

    Joined: