    am using it on an USB at the moment . I know the simple thing would be just
    to try it but there aint no harm in asking first !! TIA

    Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.
    stig, Dec 27, 2003

  2. stig

    Ðaz ©. Guest

    before spending anything find out if NTL are having server issues,I am on
    the 150k service on usb from a set top box and have no problems really
    except server out issues.ethernet is more efficient(a usb loses bandwidth
    when pc is running ) or so I am told.as cards are relatively cheap then this
    may be an answer
    "stig" <> wrote in message
    > Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes it

    just

    Ðaz ©., Dec 27, 2003

  3. stig

    Paul - xxx Guest

    stig posted ...

    > Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes
    > it just 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over
    > again(yikes!!) Someone suggested that an Ethernet card would fix this
    > ?? Is this sound advice?? I am using it on an USB at the moment . I
    > know the simple thing would be just to try it but there aint no harm
    > in asking first !! TIA
    >
    > Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

    USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't 'hang' the
    computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your area ..

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips.html

    Might help improve what you've got ..

    http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp

    Is the NTL Server Status page .. which can often be taken with a pinch of
    salt .. ;)

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Dec 27, 2003
  4. stig

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Paul - xxx said:

    > stig posted ...
    >
    >> Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes
    >> it just 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over
    >> again(yikes!!) Someone suggested that an Ethernet card would fix this
    >> ?? Is this sound advice?? I am using it on an USB at the moment . I
    >> know the simple thing would be just to try it but there aint no harm
    >> in asking first !! TIA
    >>
    >> Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

    > USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't 'hang' the
    > computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your area ..
    >
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips.html
    >
    > Might help improve what you've got ..
    >
    > http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp
    >
    > Is the NTL Server Status page .. which can often be taken with a pinch of
    > salt .. ;)

    Only a pinch?
    I use a ladle.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 27, 2003
  5. stig

    Patrick Guest

    stig wrote:
    > Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes
    > it just 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over
    > again(yikes!!) Someone suggested that an Ethernet card would fix this
    > ?? Is this sound advice?? I am using it on an USB at the moment . I
    > know the simple thing would be just to try it but there aint no harm
    > in asking first !! TIA
    >
    > Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

    Ethernet would be much preferable;
    It is more 'native' to the situation.
    It requires no (ntl) drivers.

    Have you signed-up (registered) properly with ntl ?
    if not you will only get to the sign-up-page, and perhaps that cuts you off.

    By the way, thiere are several ntl-newsgroups available;
    'Tools' menu / 'Newsgroups...', (or Ctrl+W).
    Type in "ntl" into the search box, take your pick !
    Patrick, Dec 27, 2003
  6. stig

    Bryan Guest

    > Paul - xxx said:
    >
    >> stig posted ...
    >>
    >>> Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes
    >>> it just 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over
    >>> again(yikes!!) Someone suggested that an Ethernet card would fix
    >>> this ?? Is this sound advice?? I am using it on an USB at the
    >>> moment . I
    >>> know the simple thing would be just to try it but there aint no harm
    >>> in asking first !! TIA
    >>>
    >>> Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

    >> USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't
    >> 'hang' the computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your
    >> area ..
    >>
    >> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips.html
    >>
    >> Might help improve what you've got ..
    >>
    >> http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp
    >>
    >> Is the NTL Server Status page .. which can often be taken with a
    >> pinch of salt .. ;)

    > Only a pinch?
    > I use a ladle.

    Shovel used here ;)
    Bryan, Dec 27, 2003
  7. stig

    Patrick Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Paul - xxx said:
    >>
    >>> stig posted ...

    >>> USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't
    >>> 'hang' the computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your
    >>> area ..
    >>>
    >>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips.html
    >>>
    >>> Might help improve what you've got ..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp
    >>>
    >>> Is the NTL Server Status page .. which can often be taken with a
    >>> pinch of salt .. ;)

    >> Only a pinch?
    >> I use a ladle.

    > Shovel used here ;)

    This be more like-it;
    http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~skafka/images/salt.jpg
    Patrick, Dec 27, 2003
  8. stig

    Bryan Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > Bryan wrote:
    >> "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

    >>> Only a pinch?
    >>> I use a ladle.

    >> Shovel used here ;)

    > This be more like-it;
    > http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~skafka/images/salt.jpg

    lol
    Bryan, Dec 27, 2003
  9. stig wrote:
    > Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes it just
    > 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over again(yikes!!) Someone
    > suggested that an Ethernet card would fix this ?? Is this sound advice?? I
    > am using it on an USB at the moment . I know the simple thing would be just
    > to try it but there aint no harm in asking first !! TIA
    >
    > Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

    Before adding more items to the mix, I'd suggest checking through
    Win98's Device Manager in SafeMode to be sure you have everything
    listing correctly. Nothing makes the MS Win9x collection worse than poor
    resource auto-management.

    As well, make sure you have whatever security updates for MS Windows /
    Antivirus / firewall / anti-spyware to be sure all is right withthe
    world, so to speak.

    As a sidebar, and please wait for others to confirm / debunk this....
    You might want to specify your Windows Swapfile too - my rule of thumb
    is 2.5 times the physical memory... So in your case
    256 MB x 2.5 = [[ 640 MB ]]

    Also, your MS Internet Explorer Cache - anything over 5 MB seems
    overkill to me. But that's just my opinion.

    Good Luck, I'm pullin' for ya!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Dec 27, 2003
  10. stig

    Kráftéé Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:
    > stig posted ...
    >
    >> Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes
    >> it just 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over
    >> again(yikes!!) Someone suggested that an Ethernet card would fix
    >> this ?? Is this sound advice?? I am using it on an USB at the
    >> moment . I know the simple thing would be just to try it but there
    >> aint no harm in asking first !! TIA
    >>
    >> Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

    > USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't
    > 'hang' the computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your
    > area ..

    USB can & often does lead to a PC hanging, especially if it has a VIA
    chipset &/or older USB drivers installed (I've even known PC's with Intel
    chipsets to suffer but it is very rare)....

    The best bet, is to ditch the USB & use ethernet as it is the more stable
    option
    Kráftéé, Dec 27, 2003
  11. stig

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Kráftéé posted ...

    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    >> stig posted ...
    >>
    >>> Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes
    >>> it just 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over
    >>> again(yikes!!) Someone suggested that an Ethernet card would fix
    >>> this ?? Is this sound advice?? I am using it on an USB at the
    >>> moment . I know the simple thing would be just to try it but there
    >>> aint no harm in asking first !! TIA
    >>>
    >>> Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

    >> USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't
    >> 'hang' the computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your
    >> area ..

    > USB can & often does lead to a PC hanging, especially if it has a VIA
    > chipset &/or older USB drivers installed (I've even known PC's with
    > Intel chipsets to suffer but it is very rare)....

    OK .. I didn't know that. I do know that certain media card readers, like
    Kodak / Lexar, and digital cameras, have problems with VIA chipsets and USB
    communications, but I didn't know it was 'across the board' for USB
    peripherals .. ;)

    Thanks for the info. Do you have a link where I can read more on this as I
    have a friend who is currently having problems with just the setup I've
    described, Card reader / USB on VIA chipset, and I would like to help him
    more than I have so far. Frankly I've suggested getting a better setup
    altogether .. but that's a sledgehammer approach ... ;)

    --
    Paul
    Paul - xxx, Dec 27, 2003
  12. Re[2]: broadband!!

    Hello Paul,

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, at 21:20:02 [GMT -0000] (which was 21:20 in my
    TimeZone) you wrote:

    > Kráftéé posted ...

    >> Paul - xxx wrote:
    >>> stig posted ...

    >>> USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't
    >>> 'hang' the computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your
    >>> area ..

    >> USB can & often does lead to a PC hanging, especially if it has a VIA
    >> chipset &/or older USB drivers installed (I've even known PC's with
    >> Intel chipsets to suffer but it is very rare)....

    > OK .. I didn't know that. I do know that certain media card readers, like
    > Kodak / Lexar, and digital cameras, have problems with VIA chipsets and USB
    > communications, but I didn't know it was 'across the board' for USB
    > peripherals .. ;)

    > Thanks for the info. Do you have a link where I can read more on this as I
    > have a friend who is currently having problems with just the setup I've
    > described, Card reader / USB on VIA chipset, and I would like to help him
    > more than I have so far. Frankly I've suggested getting a better setup
    > altogether .. but that's a sledgehammer approach ... ;)

    And NTL is shite.

    --
    Best regards,
    Michael

    http://www.thompsonmike.co.uk/
    PGP KeyID := 0xA9547E32

    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
    Michael Thompson, Dec 27, 2003