Broadband+worms- solving 2 major problems at once

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Broadband offerings in NZ suck, worms/viruses are all over the place.

    Address both these problems in one hit:

    1) A fine of $1 for every worm-laden email message that gets sent from an
    NZ-based user's computer into an NZ-based mailserver.

    2) Fines to be collected by the government and used to fund cheap
    nationwide broadband (cable/fibre in metro areas, wireless in rural).

    Result?

    - Less worms.
    - Cheaper/better broadband
    - A bunch of whining windoze users quickly learning how to patch their
    boxen, use less insecure (ie non-M$) email/web clients, or even
    switching to open source software

    EB
    Evil Bastard, Jan 29, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Evil Bastard

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 05:29:03 +1300, Evil Bastard
    <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >
    >Broadband offerings in NZ suck, worms/viruses are all over the place.
    >
    >Address both these problems in one hit:
    >
    >1) A fine of $1 for every worm-laden email message that gets sent from an
    >NZ-based user's computer into an NZ-based mailserver.
    >
    >2) Fines to be collected by the government and used to fund cheap
    >nationwide broadband (cable/fibre in metro areas, wireless in rural).
    >
    >Result?
    >
    >- Less worms.
    >- Cheaper/better broadband
    >- A bunch of whining windoze users quickly learning how to patch their
    > boxen, use less insecure (ie non-M$) email/web clients, or even
    > switching to open source software
    >
    >EB


    There's nothing evil about you mate. You're just a tosser.

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Jan 29, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Evil Bastard wrote:
    > Address both these problems in one hit:
    > 1) A fine of $1 for every worm-laden email message that gets sent from an
    > NZ-based user's computer into an NZ-based mailserver.
    > 2) Fines to be collected by the government and used to fund cheap
    > nationwide broadband (cable/fibre in metro areas, wireless in rural).
    > Result?


    hahaha nice... I proposed that a while ago... but umm yeah, I don't
    think it will take off... all that will happen is fear of the internet
    will occur and insurance companies will offer some kind of insurance for it.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
    #3
  4. Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >>1) A fine of $1 for every worm-laden email message that gets sent from an
    >>NZ-based user's computer into an NZ-based mailserver.


    > There's nothing evil about you mate. You're just a tosser.


    Thats not a particuly nice comment... how do you justify the comment on
    his sexual antics? personal knowledge?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
    #4
  5. Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:53:55 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >
    >>hahaha nice... I proposed that a while ago... but umm yeah, I don't
    >>think it will take off... all that will happen is fear of the internet
    >>will occur and insurance companies will offer some kind of insurance for it.

    >
    >
    > They already do. Hacker insurance premiums for windows based boxes run at
    > about 4 times the level of mac/unix


    Fair enough.

    A freind asked me the other day how hard it is to lock down a windows
    box for webserving...
    I asked him why he specifically needed a windows box.

    Turns out it was for asp. :(

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
    #5
  6. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:53:55 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >
    > hahaha nice... I proposed that a while ago... but umm yeah, I don't
    > think it will take off... all that will happen is fear of the internet
    > will occur and insurance companies will offer some kind of insurance for it.


    They already do. Hacker insurance premiums for windows based boxes run at
    about 4 times the level of mac/unix
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 29, 2004
    #6
  7. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:38:28 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > There's nothing evil about you mate. You're just a tosser.


    Pot kettle black. "Where do you want to wank today? For this month only,
    buy Micrurbation 4.75 with two service packs for 40% off list price and
    we'll throw in a complimentary MicroPr0n CD. Do it alone, or connect our
    USB device to your nether parts and do it with your friends over the net!"

    Truth being told, there are two species of entrepreneur out there.

    One species profits from liberating people, and empowering whole new
    choices they never had.

    The other species pretends to be like the first species, maybe acts like
    it for a time, but at first opportunity builds and implements a business
    plan based on keeping people ignorant and dependent, and indulges in all
    manner of dirty tricks which give capitalism a bad name.

    But compliments to you. M$ have pulled off a serious marketing coup. I've
    never seen a car company profit from selling cars with welded-shut bonnets
    that nobody can service except the overpriced service centres, and which
    can be remotely programmed to veer off the roads and smash into buildings
    and people.
    Evil Bastard, Jan 30, 2004
    #7
  8. Evil Bastard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >>> 1) A fine of $1 for every worm-laden email message that gets sent
    >>> from an NZ-based user's computer into an NZ-based mailserver.

    >
    >> There's nothing evil about you mate. You're just a tosser.

    >
    > Thats not a particuly nice comment... how do you justify the comment
    > on his sexual antics? personal knowledge?


    That's not the comment Gavin was replying to Dave, you should know that. It
    was:

    "- A bunch of whining windoze users quickly learning how to patch their
    boxen, use less insecure (ie non-M$) email/web clients, or even
    switching to open source software"

    Bad snipping there my friend.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 30, 2004
    #8
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>There's nothing evil about you mate. You're just a tosser.

    >>Thats not a particuly nice comment... how do you justify the comment
    >>on his sexual antics? personal knowledge?


    > That's not the comment Gavin was replying to Dave, you should know that. It
    > was:
    > "- A bunch of whining windoze users quickly learning how to patch their
    > boxen, use less insecure (ie non-M$) email/web clients, or even
    > switching to open source software"
    > Bad snipping there my friend.


    heh, I missed that when I read the post, oh well, still not a nice thing
    to say.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 30, 2004
    #9
  10. Evil Bastard

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:14:00 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>>There's nothing evil about you mate. You're just a tosser.
    >>>Thats not a particuly nice comment... how do you justify the comment
    >>>on his sexual antics? personal knowledge?

    >
    >> That's not the comment Gavin was replying to Dave, you should know that. It
    >> was:
    >> "- A bunch of whining windoze users quickly learning how to patch their
    >> boxen, use less insecure (ie non-M$) email/web clients, or even
    >> switching to open source software"
    >> Bad snipping there my friend.

    >
    >heh, I missed that when I read the post, oh well, still not a nice thing
    >to say.


    Maybe you should stop to think about the fact that not everyone in the
    world is a nice person Dave.

    This character pops up from time to time, he changes nicks frequently
    but he's not hard to recognise. If you read behind his words you might
    notice an underlying viciousness to his posts, particularly when one
    uses a blunt instrument to probe the aura of authority he gives
    himself. I find his manner unpleasant, in another time & place one
    might picture him in a brown shirt & accompanied by a couple of thugs
    to do his bidding whenever he doesn't get his own way.

    I've seen enough people like that in my life, we can do without them
    here. Maybe I'm being uncharitable & it's just the way his thoughts
    translate into words, but I find posts like the one he kicked off in
    this thread offensive and objectionable & I don't see why I or anyone
    else should have to put up with them.

    And btw 'tosser' is just a throwaway term these days. If one was to
    take it literally....well we'd all be tossers wouldn't we Dave ;-)

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Jan 30, 2004
    #10
  11. Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >>heh, I missed that when I read the post, oh well, still not a nice thing
    >>to say.


    > Maybe you should stop to think about the fact that not everyone in the
    > world is a nice person Dave.


    Maybe not, but does that mean that we should stop trying? nah... gotta
    spread the love.

    > And btw 'tosser' is just a throwaway term these days. If one was to
    > take it literally....well we'd all be tossers wouldn't we Dave ;-)


    ummm right... decline to comment there.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 30, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Froggy :Pond
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,237
    Yves Leclerc
    Nov 6, 2005
  2. hudhu_handhu
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    971
    hudhu_handhu
    Sep 13, 2006
  3. Dog

    Worms,Trogans,Viruses and other problems

    Dog, Jun 14, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    363
    Duane Arnold
    Jun 16, 2005
  4. Merlin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    854
    Merlin
    Mar 5, 2008
  5. Merlin
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,481
    Merlin
    Sep 9, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page