    Free upgrade to 2Mb "hopefully before this Christmas".

    Not bad is that.

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Mr Pounder

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:27:13 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    > wrote:

    Please don't start new threads , just for a thanks. As it's related to
    the original thread it's much better to finish off there.

    >Thanks to all the people that helped me out with my decision to subscribe to
    >Blueyonder Broadband.

    YW.

    >Installation booked for 3.10.05.
    >All free with connection to USB socket.

    Why the USB (it was mentioned before)? With the spec of the system you
    gave it's better to buy an inexpensive Ethernet card so the PC isn't
    having to deal with the extra work of the USB connection.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:27:13 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    > > wrote:
    >
    > Please don't start new threads , just for a thanks. As it's related to
    > the original thread it's much better to finish off there.

    Original thread is a little dated, I thought that people may not see my
    post.

    > >Thanks to all the people that helped me out with my decision to subscribe

    > >Blueyonder Broadband.

    > YW.
    >
    > >Installation booked for 3.10.05.
    > >All free with connection to USB socket.

    > Why the USB (it was mentioned before)? With the spec of the system you
    > gave it's better to buy an inexpensive Ethernet card so the PC isn't
    > having to deal with the extra work of the USB connection.

    Why buy the card?
    I ask very little from my PC .......... no games, no photos, no music
    downloads etc.
    As long as it is faster than dial up I am happy.

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Aug 20, 2005
  4. Mr Pounder

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:29:21 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    > wrote:

    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:27:13 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    >> > wrote:
    >>
    >> Please don't start new threads , just for a thanks. As it's related to
    >> the original thread it's much better to finish off there.

    >Original thread is a little dated, I thought that people may not see my
    >post.

    Gererally to keep track of threads most newsreaders allow a watch thread
    to bet set, it's easier to see what's going on.

    >> >Thanks to all the people that helped me out with my decision to subscribe

    >> >Blueyonder Broadband.

    >> YW.
    >>
    >> >Installation booked for 3.10.05.
    >> >All free with connection to USB socket.

    >> Why the USB (it was mentioned before)? With the spec of the system you
    >> gave it's better to buy an inexpensive Ethernet card so the PC isn't
    >> having to deal with the extra work of the USB connection.

    >Why buy the card?

    >I ask very little from my PC .......... no games, no photos, no music
    >downloads etc.

    Fair enough, you may be tempted however when you see how much faster it
    is :)

    It's not what you are d/l'ing, it's how much work your PC is doing. USB
    IIRC always has a performace hit, was it Win98SE/128MB you have. An
    Ethernet card does much more of the work on the card.

    One view is
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html
    or
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/nictest-usb.html

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:29:21 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    > > wrote:
    >

    > >"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:27:13 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    > >>
    > >> Please don't start new threads , just for a thanks. As it's related to
    > >> the original thread it's much better to finish off there.

    > >Original thread is a little dated, I thought that people may not see my
    > >post.

    > Gererally to keep track of threads most newsreaders allow a watch thread
    > to bet set, it's easier to see what's going on.

    subscribe

    > >> YW.

    > >> Why the USB (it was mentioned before)? With the spec of the system you
    > >> gave it's better to buy an inexpensive Ethernet card so the PC isn't
    > >> having to deal with the extra work of the USB connection.

    > >Why buy the card?

    > >I ask very little from my PC .......... no games, no photos, no music
    > >downloads etc.

    > Fair enough, you may be tempted however when you see how much faster it
    > is :)
    >
    > It's not what you are d/l'ing, it's how much work your PC is doing. USB
    > IIRC always has a performace hit, was it Win98SE/128MB you have. An
    > Ethernet card does much more of the work on the card.
    >
    > One view is
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html
    > or
    > http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/nictest-usb.html
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Yes, it is Win 98 se/128 MB.
    I also have my optical mouse plugged into one of my two USB sockets.
    Errrrrrr, are these cards difficult to fit?

    Sorry for being thick, I am an engineer, been with home computers since
    1995, self taught, but I have these big heavy hands.

    Thanks for coming back to me ............... I will look at these sites you
    posted.

    Steve
    Mr Pounder, Aug 21, 2005
  6. Mr Pounder

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Mr Pounder wrote:
    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:29:21 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    >> > wrote:
    >>

    >>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> Original thread is a little dated, I thought that people may not
    >>> see my post.

    >> Gererally to keep track of threads most newsreaders allow a watch
    >> thread to bet set, it's easier to see what's going on.

    >>> Why buy the card?

    >>> I ask very little from my PC .......... no games, no photos, no
    >>> music downloads etc.

    >> Fair enough, you may be tempted however when you see how much faster
    >> it is :)
    >>
    >> It's not what you are d/l'ing, it's how much work your PC is doing.
    >> USB IIRC always has a performace hit, was it Win98SE/128MB you have.
    >> An Ethernet card does much more of the work on the card.
    >>
    >> One view is
    >> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html
    >> or
    >> http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/nictest-usb.html
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    > Yes, it is Win 98 se/128 MB.
    > I also have my optical mouse plugged into one of my two USB sockets.
    > Errrrrrr, are these cards difficult to fit?
    >
    > Sorry for being thick, I am an engineer, been with home computers
    > since 1995, self taught, but I have these big heavy hands.
    >
    > Thanks for coming back to me ............... I will look at these
    > sites you posted.
    >
    > Steve

    Nah - putting a NIC in a PC is usually a breeze. I've had some PCs where the
    case was stupidly designed and it was more complicated than it should have
    been.

    I always use the NIC instead of the USB for reliability. Plus as I've added
    more and more USB devices, I don't want to waste a socket.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 21, 2005
  7. Mr Pounder

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:44:20 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    > wrote:

    >> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:29:21 GMT, "Mr Pounder" <Mr
    >> > wrote:
    >>

    >> >"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >> >Original thread is a little dated, I thought that people may not see my
    >> >post.

    >> Gererally to keep track of threads most newsreaders allow a watch thread
    >> to bet set, it's easier to see what's going on.

    >subscribe

    >> >Why buy the card?

    >> >I ask very little from my PC .......... no games, no photos, no music
    >> >downloads etc.

    >> Fair enough, you may be tempted however when you see how much faster it
    >> is :)
    >>
    >> It's not what you are d/l'ing, it's how much work your PC is doing. USB
    >> IIRC always has a performace hit, was it Win98SE/128MB you have. An
    >> Ethernet card does much more of the work on the card.
    >>
    >> One view is
    >> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html
    >> or
    >> http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/nictest-usb.html
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Me

    >Yes, it is Win 98 se/128 MB.
    >I also have my optical mouse plugged into one of my two USB sockets.
    >Errrrrrr, are these cards difficult to fit?

    No, it's up to you however.

    I would have thought BY had a guide.

    Adding a NIC
    http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/pc/hardware/network/replace.php