Broadband telephony gets a boost

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by JPG, May 23, 2005.

  1. JPG

    JPG Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. JPG

    Tiscali Tim Guest

    JPG <> wrote:

    Well, I suppose it will appeal to some - but for a tenner a month I can make
    500 calls to geographic numbers on my BT line using 18866 - far more than I
    actually ever make. And, unless you're in a cable area - which I'm not - you
    can't get rid of your BT line if you want broadband, even if you never use
    it for voice calls.
    --
    Cheers,
    Tim

    Tiscali Tim, May 23, 2005

  3. JPG

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Tiscali Tim wrote:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > JPG <> wrote:

    > Well, I suppose it will appeal to some - but for a tenner a month I
    > can make 500 calls to geographic numbers on my BT line using 18866
    > - far more than I actually ever make. And, unless you're in a cable
    > area - which I'm not - you can't get rid of your BT line if you
    > want broadband, even if you never use it for voice calls.

    Precisely. Which is why I'm sticking with Sipgate, despite their recent
    problems. At least they are free of monthly charges.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 23, 2005
  4. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Tiscali Tim wrote:
    > > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > > JPG <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4565719.stm

    > > Well, I suppose it will appeal to some - but for a tenner a month I
    > > can make 500 calls to geographic numbers on my BT line using 18866
    > > - far more than I actually ever make. And, unless you're in a cable
    > > area - which I'm not - you can't get rid of your BT line if you
    > > want broadband, even if you never use it for voice calls.

    > Precisely. Which is why I'm sticking with Sipgate, despite their recent
    > problems. At least they are free of monthly charges.
    >
    > Ivor

    I spotted this on voipfones website today
    http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Package_Builder.php

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, May 25, 2005
  5. JPG

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Ivor Jones, May 25, 2005
  6. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Mathew Curtis wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > I spotted this on voipfones website today
    > > http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Package_Builder.php

    > Still a monthly charge though.
    >
    > Ivor

    thats true but it sounds like a bloody good deal to me

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, May 25, 2005
  7. JPG

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Mathew Curtis wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> Mathew Curtis wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> I spotted this on voipfones website today
    >>> http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Package_Builder.php

    >> Still a monthly charge though.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > thats true but it sounds like a bloody good deal to me
    >
    > Mat

    No monthly charge is a better one <g>

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 25, 2005
  8. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Mathew Curtis wrote:
    > > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > >> Mathew Curtis wrote:
    > >>
    > >> [snip]

    > >> Still a monthly charge though.
    > >>
    > >> Ivor

    > > thats true but it sounds like a bloody good deal to me
    > >
    > > Mat

    > No monthly charge is a better one <g>
    >
    > Ivor

    well you know what thay say you get what you pay for :)

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, May 25, 2005
  9. JPG

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Mathew Curtis wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    >> Mathew Curtis wrote:

    >>> thats true but it sounds like a bloody good deal to me
    >>>
    >>> Mat

    >> No monthly charge is a better one <g>
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > well you know what thay say you get what you pay for :)
    >
    > Mat

    I get 2 phone lines with excellent call quality and reasonable charges
    when I do call out to the PSTN. Yes there have been more than a few
    problems with Sipgate, but they *will* be sorted out sooner or later and I
    still won't have to pay a monthly charge.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 26, 2005
  10. Ivor Jones wrote:
    > Mathew Curtis wrote:
    > > Ivor Jones wrote:

    > >> No monthly charge is a better one <g>
    > >>
    > >> Ivor

    > > well you know what thay say you get what you pay for :)
    > >
    > > Mat

    > I get 2 phone lines with excellent call quality and reasonable charges
    > when I do call out to the PSTN. Yes there have been more than a few
    > problems with Sipgate, but they *will* be sorted out sooner or later and I
    > still won't have to pay a monthly charge.
    >
    > Ivor

    My personal experience with sipgate and a few other providers has not
    been good and thats the only reason I moved to Voipfone.

    Since moving I have not had one single problem everything works
    perfectly for me exactly as my BT line used to but with out the costs.

    We have to remember that no internet phone service is going to be error
    free and like traditional providers they are going to have problems so
    yes sipgate will solve the problems but the question is when?

    Mat

    Mathew Curtis, May 26, 2005
  11. JPG

    Don Carter Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:45:36 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Mathew Curtis wrote:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >> I spotted this on voipfones website today
    >> http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Package_Builder.php

    >Still a monthly charge though.
    >
    >Ivor

    I rather like the way it says "Until now, VoIP customers have been
    encouraged to buy a bundle of services compiled in advance by the
    telephony provider, regardless of whether it suits their individual
    needs or not."

    Then proceeds to tell you which compiled in advance packages you can
    have.

    Don Carter

    Don Carter, May 26, 2005
  12. Don Carter wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 22:45:36 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Mathew Curtis wrote:
    > >
    > >[snip]
    > >
    > >> I spotted this on voipfones website today
    > >> http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Package_Builder.php

    > >Still a monthly charge though.
    > >
    > >Ivor
    > >

    > I rather like the way it says "Until now, VoIP customers have been
    > encouraged to buy a bundle of services compiled in advance by the
    > telephony provider, regardless of whether it suits their individual
    > needs or not."
    >
    > Then proceeds to tell you which compiled in advance packages you can
    > have.
    >
    > Don Carter

    Think you have missed the point Don there will not be any pre compiled
    packages any more i have just confirmed this with them i think i will
    just wait untill the 1st and see exactly what we are going to get

    Mathew Curtis, May 26, 2005
  13. ">>
    >> I get 2 phone lines with excellent call quality and reasonable charges
    >> when I do call out to the PSTN. Yes there have been more than a few
    >> problems with Sipgate, but they *will* be sorted out sooner or later and
    >> still won't have to pay a monthly charge.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    WHAT IS ALL THIS NONSENSE, I GENUINLEY THINK VONAGE ARE THE BEST.

    Stefan Kaniuk, May 26, 2005
  14. JPG

    Mark time Guest

    "Stefan Kaniuk" <> wrote in message

    > WHAT IS ALL THIS NONSENSE, I GENUINLEY THINK VONAGE ARE THE BEST.

    And you haven't even used them yet? so how do you know?

    Mark Time

    Mark time, May 26, 2005
  15. JPG

    MM Guest

    "Mark time" <> wrote in message

    > "Stefan Kaniuk" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> WHAT IS ALL THIS NONSENSE, I GENUINLEY THINK VONAGE ARE THE BEST.

    > And you haven't even used them yet? so how do you know?
    >
    > Mark Time

    another happy Sipgate user here - saves me a fortune on calls to the US and
    far east...got a Netgear TA612V, with a dect handset into it, and use it
    solely for international calls

    MM, May 26, 2005
  16. JPG

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Stefan Kaniuk wrote:
    > ">>
    >>> I get 2 phone lines with excellent call quality and reasonable
    >>> charges when I do call out to the PSTN. Yes there have been more
    >>> than a few problems with Sipgate, but they *will* be sorted out
    >>> sooner or later and I
    >>> still won't have to pay a monthly charge.
    >>>
    >>> Ivor

    > WHAT IS ALL THIS NONSENSE, I GENUINLEY THINK VONAGE ARE THE BEST.

    No need to shout about it..! I think they're rubbish but if you like
    paying them money who am I to stop you..?!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 26, 2005
  17. JPG

    Ivor Jones Guest

    MM wrote:
    > "Mark time" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Stefan Kaniuk" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> WHAT IS ALL THIS NONSENSE, I GENUINLEY THINK VONAGE ARE THE BEST.

    >> And you haven't even used them yet? so how do you know?
    >>
    >> Mark Time
    >>

    > another happy Sipgate user here - saves me a fortune on calls to
    > the US and far east...got a Netgear TA612V, with a dect handset
    > into it, and use it solely for international calls

    How are you finding the TA612V..? If you email me off list I have some
    info on it you might find useful.

    Incidentally if you want an incoming US number to divert to your Sipgate
    account go to www.ipkall.com - the number is totally free, the only
    stipulation is you use it (or rather someone uses it to call *you*..!)
    once in every 30 days or they may reclaim it. The numbers are area code
    360 (Washington State) but most of the calling plans for landlines and
    mobiles I've seen there allow calls to any US number for the same price.

    --
    Ivor

    (replace 'invalid' with 'com' in sending address to reply direct)

    Ivor Jones, May 26, 2005
  18. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > No need to shout about it..! I think they're rubbish but if you like
    > paying them money who am I to stop you..?!
    >
    > Ivor

    do you have personla experience of them, as stated in a previous post i
    genuinely believe that they are good and for just 18.99 per month we can
    hammer them on calls for FREE did you read that FREE, also i like the vonage
    site and yes i have considered sipgate and others but for the amount of
    calls we are likely to be making and receiving ithe measily 18.99 per month
    is nothing.

    Stefan Kaniuk, May 26, 2005
  19. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in > No need to shout about
    it..! I think they're rubbish but if you like
    > paying them money who am I to stop you..?!
    >
    > Ivor

    perhaps you could give some more explanation as to why you think they are
    rubbish as you put it.It would be nice to hear a more indepth view from you
    ivor.

    Stefan Kaniuk, May 26, 2005
  20. JPG

    Peter M Guest

    On 26 May 2005 15:51, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:

    >If you email me off list I have some info on it you might find useful.

    Unless there are really good reasons, sharing info, by posting it on
    uk.telecom.voip would seem a more reasonable thing to do. Peter M.

    --
    Plus.Net <http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4>
    I recommend them and save some cash.

    Peter M, May 26, 2005