    handsets, and broadband Internet
    Protocol television.

    It will make current data caps look meagre!

    GraB, Mar 24, 2006

  2. GraB

    El Penguino Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:32:58 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Faster broadband this year
    >
    >Telecom says it will be rolling out
    >the next generation of broadband
    >Internet services from June.
    >
    >That will mean download speeds of 24
    >megabits a second, 12 times faster
    >than now available.

    Will it be 128k up?

    :)

    El Penguino, Mar 24, 2006

  3. GraB

    Dave Guest

    "El Penguino" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:32:58 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Faster broadband this year
    >>
    >>Telecom says it will be rolling out
    >>the next generation of broadband
    >>Internet services from June.
    >>
    >>That will mean download speeds of 24
    >>megabits a second, 12 times faster
    >>than now available.

    > Will it be 128k up?
    >
    > :)

    ROFLMAO Probably!

    Dave, Mar 24, 2006
  4. GraB

    Allistar Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > Faster broadband this year
    >
    > Telecom says it will be rolling out
    > the next generation of broadband
    > Internet services from June.
    >
    > That will mean download speeds of 24
    > megabits a second, 12 times faster
    > than now available.

    In the media they only ever quote the download bandwidth, without mentioning
    the equally important upload bandwidth.

    The current 128kb/s is NOT broadband - never was and never will be.

    > Other new services will be home base
    > video calling with dedicated
    > handsets, and broadband Internet
    > Protocol television.
    >

    > It will make current data caps look meagre!

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Mar 24, 2006
  5. GraB

    Jerry Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:32:58 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >

    >>Faster broadband this year
    >>
    >>Telecom says it will be rolling out
    >>the next generation of broadband
    >>Internet services from June.
    >>
    >>That will mean download speeds of 24
    >>megabits a second, 12 times faster
    >>than now available.

    > Will it be 128k up?

    Like making it legal to drive to work at 200KMH, but you can't do more
    than 5 coming home

    Jerry, Mar 24, 2006
  6. GraB

    PC Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Faster broadband this year
    >
    > Telecom says it will be rolling out
    > the next generation of broadband
    > Internet services from June.
    >
    > That will mean download speeds of 24
    > megabits a second, 12 times faster
    > than now available.
    >
    > Other new services will be home base
    > video calling with dedicated
    > handsets, and broadband Internet
    > Protocol television.
    >

    > It will make current data caps look meagre!

    As I posted some weeks ago I still reckon that Telecom has something it's
    working on the longer game.

    Maybe this is it? give the Government a choice : Leave us alone and we'll
    put in ADSL2+ for everyone. or Carve us up and we will only supply ADSL2+ to
    our 'tied' customers. The rest can have the 'old' broadband.

    PC

    PC, Mar 24, 2006
  7. GraB

    Enkidu Guest

    PC wrote:

    > Maybe this is it? give the Government a choice : Leave us alone and we'll
    > put in ADSL2+ for everyone. or Carve us up and we will only supply ADSL2+ to
    > our 'tied' customers. The rest can have the 'old' broadband.

    ADSL2+ will only ever be viable for a few customers. The speed drops off
    rapidly as you get further from the exchange. At 5km it is only as fast
    as ordinary ADSL.

    http://www.internode.on.net/adsl2/graph/

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 24, 2006
  8. GraB

    jedmeister Guest

    jedmeister, Mar 25, 2006
  9. GraB

    jedmeister Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Faster broadband this year
    >
    > Telecom says it will be rolling out
    > the next generation of broadband
    > Internet services from June.
    >
    > That will mean download speeds of 24
    > megabits a second, 12 times faster
    > than now available.
    >
    > Other new services will be home base
    > video calling with dedicated
    > handsets, and broadband Internet
    > Protocol television.
    >

    > It will make current data caps look meagre!

    Telecom are saying this is so good. But, they were promising adsl2 by the
    end of 2005 at one stage.

    So, in my opinion, this is all shite . I won't pay for it anyway ,since even
    on my 2mb connection it is limited by the back-end bandwidth pipe so it
    seems.

    I know my connection is capable of a true 2mb connection , since it has
    achieved this a couple of times. But, rarely do I get this speed, and
    usually it is a little over 1mb connection. So, won't the same happen with
    adsl2+? Guess it depends where the pipe is blocked.

    jedmeister, Mar 25, 2006
  10. GraB

    jedmeister Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message

    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Faster broadband this year
    >>
    >> Telecom says it will be rolling out
    >> the next generation of broadband
    >> Internet services from June.
    >>
    >> That will mean download speeds of 24
    >> megabits a second, 12 times faster
    >> than now available.
    >>
    >> Other new services will be home base
    >> video calling with dedicated
    >> handsets, and broadband Internet
    >> Protocol television.
    >>

    >> It will make current data caps look meagre!

    > As I posted some weeks ago I still reckon that Telecom has something it's
    > working on the longer game.
    >
    > Maybe this is it? give the Government a choice : Leave us alone and we'll
    > put in ADSL2+ for everyone. or Carve us up and we will only supply ADSL2+
    > to our 'tied' customers. The rest can have the 'old' broadband.
    >
    > PC

    telecom want to do content - realistically their traditional revenue streams
    will continue to shrink

    jedmeister, Mar 25, 2006
  11. GraB

    Philip Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Faster broadband this year
    >
    > Telecom says it will be rolling out
    > the next generation of broadband
    > Internet services from June.
    >
    > That will mean download speeds of 24
    > megabits a second, 12 times faster
    > than now available.
    >
    > Other new services will be home base
    > video calling with dedicated
    > handsets, and broadband Internet
    > Protocol television.
    >

    > It will make current data caps look meagre!

    This is another Telecom attempt to stave off regulation of the industry
    and control over Telecom's rampant gouging.

    There may well be high speed real broadband available to a handful of
    customers in major cities.

    The majority of New Zealanders will still be stranded, and shafted, by
    Telecom's fraudband offers that impose snail's-pace uploads, miserably
    low data caps and high to super-high prices.

    Consider their start-up offer:
    Monthly Cost Data cap Download Upload Extra MB
    Basic $39.95 200MB 256kbs 128kbs 2 cents/MB

    Is there a worse offer anywhere in the developed world? Even if you
    accept their grossly over-priced toll plans to get a pathetic $10 discount?

    None of the company's new plans is free of ludicrously small data caps.

    Not to mention this little footnote:

    "Speeds stated are the maximum speeds possible under ideal conditions.
    Actual speed will vary depending on Internet traffic, the sites you
    visit and other factors."

    "Other factors" including the disgracefully high contention rates, where
    you are sharing your connection with up to 184 other users. Not that
    Telecom will tell you - unlike telcos overseas, they want to hide the
    numbers from you so you won't know how badly you are being gouged.

    Time once again to complain about Nanny Telecom telling us where we can
    go and what we can do and how fast we can do it. Time to lobby MPs for
    legal splitting of the company into wholesale and retail, so that there
    is real competition in this market.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 25, 2006
  12. GraB

    colinco Guest

    In article Philip says...
    > "Other factors" including the disgracefully high contention rates, where
    > you are sharing your connection with up to 184 other users.

    Unless you know the size of the pipe you're sharing, this is
    meaningless.

    colinco, Mar 25, 2006
  13. GraB

    Mutley Guest

    Philip <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Faster broadband this year
    >>
    >> Telecom says it will be rolling out
    >> the next generation of broadband
    >> Internet services from June.
    >>
    >> That will mean download speeds of 24
    >> megabits a second, 12 times faster
    >> than now available.
    >>
    >> Other new services will be home base
    >> video calling with dedicated
    >> handsets, and broadband Internet
    >> Protocol television.
    >>

    >> It will make current data caps look meagre!

    >This is another Telecom attempt to stave off regulation of the industry
    >and control over Telecom's rampant gouging.
    >
    >There may well be high speed real broadband available to a handful of
    >customers in major cities.
    >
    >The majority of New Zealanders will still be stranded, and shafted, by
    >Telecom's fraudband offers that impose snail's-pace uploads, miserably
    >low data caps and high to super-high prices.
    >
    >Consider their start-up offer:
    >Monthly Cost Data cap Download Upload Extra MB
    >Basic $39.95 200MB 256kbs 128kbs 2 cents/MB
    >
    >Is there a worse offer anywhere in the developed world? Even if you
    >accept their grossly over-priced toll plans to get a pathetic $10 discount?

    Now that the NZ dollar has dived expect an increase in ADSL pricing..

    Mutley, Mar 25, 2006
  14. GraB

    Dave Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > GraB wrote:

    > Consider their start-up offer:
    > Monthly Cost Data cap Download Upload Extra MB
    > Basic $39.95 200MB 256kbs 128kbs 2 cents/MB

    Do you get a blowjob with that?

    Dave, Mar 25, 2006
  15. GraB

    Philip Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article Philip says...
    >> "Other factors" including the disgracefully high contention rates, where
    >> you are sharing your connection with up to 184 other users.
    >>

    > Unless you know the size of the pipe you're sharing, this is
    > meaningless.

    And that's another thing Telecom won't tell you.

    You're just a user - way down in their scale of who's important.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 25, 2006
  16. GraB

    Philip Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > "Philip" <> wrote in message
    >> GraB wrote:

    >> Consider their start-up offer:
    >> Monthly Cost Data cap Download Upload Extra MB
    >> Basic $39.95 200MB 256kbs 128kbs 2 cents/MB
    >>

    > Do you get a blowjob with that?

    Blown off, I'd say.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 25, 2006
  17. GraB

    Craig Sutton Guest

    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:32:58 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    > >Faster broadband this year
    > >
    > >Telecom says it will be rolling out
    > >the next generation of broadband
    > >Internet services from June.
    > >
    > >That will mean download speeds of 24
    > >megabits a second, 12 times faster
    > >than now available.

    > Will it be 128k up?
    >
    > :)

    with a 300 meg cap!

    Craig Sutton, Mar 25, 2006
  18. GraB

    MarkH Guest

    Philip <> wrote in

    > colinco wrote:
    >> In article Philip says...
    >>> "Other factors" including the disgracefully high contention rates,
    >>> where you are sharing your connection with up to 184 other users.
    >>>

    >> Unless you know the size of the pipe you're sharing, this is
    >> meaningless.

    > And that's another thing Telecom won't tell you.

    And if you do get downloads at the full 24MBit then you will use your 10GB
    cap in one hour and you get to spend the next 29 days and 23 hours at 64K,
    or you get charged $20/GB.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade