    broadband in my area. Any ideas what the site is?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    David Day, Jul 19, 2005

  2. David Day

    Guest

    http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
    --

    , Jul 19, 2005

  3. David Day

    David Day Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "David Day" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I think I remember a site that will let me find out how fast I can get
    > |>broadband in my area. Any ideas what the site is?
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
    > --

    Thanks but that's not quite what I wanted, I didn't make myself clear. I
    want to know if I can get 8mb, 4mb, 2mb or just 1mb. I'm sure there is a
    site that tells u and all u need is a postcode or phone number.

    David Day, Jul 19, 2005
  4. David Day

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Jul 19, 2005
  5. David Day

    Guest

    "David Day" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
    |>> --

    |>Thanks but that's not quite what I wanted, I didn't make myself clear. I
    |>want to know if I can get 8mb, 4mb, 2mb or just 1mb. I'm sure there is a
    |>site that tells u and all u need is a postcode or phone number.

    You were vague but I was cover'd :)

    That site also has a message board and site evaluation for your area.

    --

    , Jul 19, 2005
  6. David Day

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:36:46 +0100, David Day wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
    >> --

    >Thanks but that's not quite what I wanted, I didn't make myself clear. I
    >want to know if I can get 8mb, 4mb, 2mb or just 1mb. I'm sure there is a
    >site that tells u and all u need is a postcode or phone number.

    You could have said that the 1st time, guessing just makes things less
    fun.

    It appears you also didn't specify where 'in my area' was.

    Perhaps you are like many others and don't know that the newsgroup you
    posted to is a public group not associated with any service provider and
    carried on servers all over the world

    It may also help to say if your broadband is cable or DSL. Although
    there are several clues in the headers of your post.

    Maybe you want to change ISP or not, is another factor to consider.

    Maybe you want to check with your ISP
    http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_premier.shtml
    2Mb broadband as standard - up to 40x times faster than dial-up

    Super-fast 4Mb and 8Mb speeds coming soon.

    You are most like thinking of one of the UK Broadband sites and / or BT
    Broadband site where you can enter a phone number or postcode.

    Me

    why?, Jul 19, 2005
  7. David Day

    Flasher Guest

    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

    Flasher, Jul 19, 2005
  8. David Day

    David Day Guest

    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:36:46 +0100, David Day wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=97
    >>> --

    >>Thanks but that's not quite what I wanted, I didn't make myself clear. I
    >>want to know if I can get 8mb, 4mb, 2mb or just 1mb. I'm sure there is a
    >>site that tells u and all u need is a postcode or phone number.

    > You could have said that the 1st time, guessing just makes things less
    > fun.
    >
    > It appears you also didn't specify where 'in my area' was.
    >
    > Perhaps you are like many others and don't know that the newsgroup you
    > posted to is a public group not associated with any service provider and
    > carried on servers all over the world
    >
    > It may also help to say if your broadband is cable or DSL. Although
    > there are several clues in the headers of your post.
    >
    > Maybe you want to change ISP or not, is another factor to consider.
    >
    > Maybe you want to check with your ISP
    > http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_premier.shtml
    > 2Mb broadband as standard - up to 40x times faster than dial-up
    >
    > Super-fast 4Mb and 8Mb speeds coming soon.
    >

    > You are most like thinking of one of the UK Broadband sites and / or BT
    > Broadband site where you can enter a phone number or postcode.
    >
    > Me

    OK, Sorry, i thought that there was a site that u just put in the postcode
    and it would tell u when ur local exchange was likely to be upgraded.

    My area is northampton.
    I have dsl with plusnet.
    Yeah probably.
    Plusnet say soon for 4-8mb, but thats a bit vague, any idea roughly when?
    this year or next?

    Once again, sorry.

    David Day, Jul 19, 2005
  9. David Day wrote:

    > OK, Sorry, i thought that there was a site that u just put in the postcode
    > and it would tell u when ur local exchange was likely to be upgraded.

    http://ancientneareast.tripod.com/Ur_Muqayyar.html

    And "u" isn't here, either. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 19, 2005
  10. David Day

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "David Day" <> wrote in message
    >I think I remember a site that will let me find out how fast I can get
    >broadband in my area. Any ideas what the site is?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Where I live, broadband is usually set up within two weeks.

    Here's an idea: read your question out load to yourself before you post it.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2005
  11. David Day

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:37:06 +0100, David Day wrote:

    >> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:36:46 +0100, David Day wrote:
    >>

    >>><> wrote in message

    >>>Thanks but that's not quite what I wanted, I didn't make myself clear. I
    >>>want to know if I can get 8mb, 4mb, 2mb or just 1mb. I'm sure there is a
    >>>site that tells u and all u need is a postcode or phone number.

    >> You could have said that the 1st time, guessing just makes things less
    >> fun.
    >>
    >> It appears you also didn't specify where 'in my area' was.

    <snip>

    >> You are most like thinking of one of the UK Broadband sites and / or BT
    >> Broadband site where you can enter a phone number or postcode.
    >>
    >> Me

    >OK, Sorry, i thought that there was a site that u just put in the postcode
    >and it would tell u when ur local exchange was likely to be upgraded.

    There is it was mentioned above BT Broadband, the URL if you didn't find
    it anywhere yet is - www.bt.com/broadband/

    For UK broadband sites, of which there are several search www.google.com

    >My area is northampton.
    >I have dsl with plusnet.
    >Yeah probably.
    >Plusnet say soon for 4-8mb, but thats a bit vague, any idea roughly when?
    >this year or next?

    As this newsgroup nor I am related to plusnet you would have to contact
    them.

    >Once again, sorry.

    :)

    Me

    why?, Jul 20, 2005
  12. David Day

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:59:42 -0700, "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    >"David Day" <> wrote in message
    >>I think I remember a site that will let me find out how fast I can get
    >>broadband in my area. Any ideas what the site is?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    >Where I live, broadband is usually set up within two weeks.
    >
    >Here's an idea: read your question out load to yourself before you post it.

    That's a good idea, but it must be out load.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jul 20, 2005
  13. David Day

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:59:42 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"David Day" <> wrote in message
    >>>I think I remember a site that will let me find out how fast I can get
    >>>broadband in my area. Any ideas what the site is?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>

    >>Where I live, broadband is usually set up within two weeks.
    >>
    >>Here's an idea: read your question out load to yourself before you post
    >>it.

    > That's a good idea, but it must be out load.

    Ooops! The typo gremlin got me there again <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 21, 2005