    My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.

    Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.

    Sue
    Susan T, Nov 4, 2006

  2. Susan T

    TomC Guest

    Susan T wrote:
    > As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
    > speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
    >
    > I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
    >
    > Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
    > up.
    >
    > My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
    >
    > Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
    >
    > Sue

    Have u exceeded ur data limit?

    Cheers Tom

    --
    * Thankfully this message was not
    scanned by AVG Free *
    TomC, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Susan T

    Fran Guest

    Susan T wrote:

    > As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
    > speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
    >
    > I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
    >
    > Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
    > up.
    >
    > My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
    >
    > Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
    >
    > Sue

    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest.swf

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 4, 2006
  4. Susan T

    Bobs Guest

    Susan T wrote:
    > As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
    > speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
    >
    > I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
    >
    > Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
    > up.
    >
    > My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
    >
    > Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
    >
    > Sue

    That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
    wires hooked between two potatoes.

    Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
    speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
    200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
    20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.

    Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.
    Bobs, Nov 5, 2006
  5. Susan T

    David Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > Susan T wrote:
    >> As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
    >> speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
    >>
    >> I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
    >>
    >> Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
    >> up.
    >>
    >> My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
    >>
    >> Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
    >>
    >> Sue

    > That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
    > wires hooked between two potatoes.
    >
    > Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
    > speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
    > 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
    > 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
    >
    > Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.

    Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
    you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
    than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)
    David, Nov 5, 2006
  6. Susan T

    Crash Guest

    David wrote:
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> Susan T wrote:
    >>> As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
    >>> speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
    >>>
    >>> I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
    >>>
    >>> Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
    >>> up.
    >>>
    >>> My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
    >>>
    >>> Sue

    >> That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
    >> wires hooked between two potatoes.
    >>
    >> Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
    >> speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
    >> 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
    >> 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
    >>
    >> Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.
    >>

    > Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
    > you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
    > than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)

    But is that any worse than when your speed was capped?

    Crash.
    Crash, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Susan T

    Apairateef Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> Bobs wrote:

    >>> That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
    >>> wires hooked between two potatoes.
    >>>
    >>> Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
    >>> speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
    >>> 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
    >>> 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
    >>>
    >>> Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.
    >>>

    >> Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
    >> you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
    >> than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)

    > But is that any worse than when your speed was capped?

    My speed has gone atrociously downhill even more so since 26 Oct.....
    tonight i can't even open some websites up and even my gmail is coming up
    with an ut oh message which i've never had before....the net is stalling
    sooo bad that it's like i become almost disconnected.

    Tonight my download is 63k and my upload is 40k..oh yay

    Sarns
    Apairateef, Nov 5, 2006
  8. Susan T

    Fran Guest

    Apairateef wrote:

    > "Crash" <> wrote in message
    >> David wrote:
    >>> Bobs wrote:
    >>> Except in the places and times where you used to be able to go 100kph,
    >>> you now find you can no longer change out of 1st gear (I'm getting less
    >>> than 256k on my 'unleashed' connection)

    >> But is that any worse than when your speed was capped?

    > My speed has gone atrociously downhill even more so since 26 Oct.....
    > tonight i can't even open some websites up and even my gmail is coming up
    > with an ut oh message which i've never had before....the net is stalling
    > sooo bad that it's like i become almost disconnected.
    >
    > Tonight my download is 63k and my upload is 40k..oh yay
    >
    > Sarns

    4.7Mb/s down
    655Kb/s up
    2km from the exchange
    Through Orcon.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 5, 2006
  9. Susan T

    kiwinebula Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message

    > Susan T wrote:
    > > As a real dummy, can someone please tell me what to do the see what
    > > speed I'm getting with xtra's broadband.
    > >
    > > I'm in Christchurch and about 400-500 metres from a phone exchange.
    > >
    > > Since xtra's "unleashing" I'd say my speed is back to very slow dial
    > > up.
    > >
    > > My XP machine is clean and lean. Definately no virus or spywares.
    > >
    > > Appreciate some kind soul to walk me through it.
    > >
    > > Sue

    > That's because Xtra's network can be compared to that of a couple of
    > wires hooked between two potatoes.
    >
    > Think of it like this. It's a bit like the NZ Govt "unleashing" the
    > speed limit on the Auckland motorway system. Sure, in theory you can go
    > 200kph, but in reality the bottlenecks remain and you're still stuck at
    > 20kph and picking your arsehole clean with a toothpick.
    >
    > Like Steve Withers, it's just a sick joke.

    Yeah the commerce commission should be able to do something about this, all
    isp's should be made to advertise their bandwidth/user ratio, as this is
    really the most important thing to know when assessing what speed you maybe
    paying for, it's just an absolutely ridiculous situation the way it is at
    the moment, the consumer is left in the dark as to exactly what they are
    buying when they sign up with any isp.
    kiwinebula, Nov 5, 2006
  10. Susan T

    EMB Guest

    kiwinebula wrote:

    > Yeah the commerce commission should be able to do something about this, all
    > isp's should be made to advertise their bandwidth/user ratio, as this is
    > really the most important thing to know when assessing what speed you maybe
    > paying for, it's just an absolutely ridiculous situation the way it is at
    > the moment, the consumer is left in the dark as to exactly what they are
    > buying when they sign up with any isp.

    Given that Telecom have total control over ADSL connections you can be
    certain that the contention ratio is identical across all ISPs.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 5, 2006
  11. Susan T

    kiwinebula Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > kiwinebula wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah the commerce commission should be able to do something about this,

    all
    > > isp's should be made to advertise their bandwidth/user ratio, as this is
    > > really the most important thing to know when assessing what speed you

    maybe
    > > paying for, it's just an absolutely ridiculous situation the way it is

    at
    > > the moment, the consumer is left in the dark as to exactly what they are
    > > buying when they sign up with any isp.

    > Given that Telecom have total control over ADSL connections you can be
    > certain that the contention ratio is identical across all ISPs.
    >

    > --
    > EMB

    Don't understand sorry, don't the isp's buy a fixed amount of bandwidth that
    is then divided up between all it's users so the more users the less
    bandwidth per user and therefore the isp still has direct control over what
    service it is providing in this sense, hence my original point. Anyhow I
    don't know the details of how adsl works so maybe I am missing something
    which voids my argument but I can't see how the basic principle I pointed
    out could be affected by anything else, certainly this was the way it worked
    in the dialup days.
    kiwinebula, Nov 6, 2006
  12. Susan T

    El Chippy Guest

    "kiwinebula" <kiwi@nebula> wrote in message

    > Don't understand sorry, don't the isp's buy a fixed amount of bandwidth
    > that
    > is then divided up between all it's users so the more users the less
    > bandwidth per user and therefore the isp still has direct control over
    > what
    > service it is providing in this sense, hence my original point. Anyhow I
    > don't know the details of how adsl works so maybe I am missing something
    > which voids my argument but I can't see how the basic principle I pointed
    > out could be affected by anything else, certainly this was the way it
    > worked
    > in the dialup days.

    Well. sort of.. up until the 0867 number thing that was mostly true.

    anyway...
    what the problem a lot of people are having is that they have there DSL
    connection via a conklin dslam installed in a roadside cabinet. (24 DSL
    modems in one box) and depending on how generous Telecom was feeling when
    they installed the conklin they may have only provisioned one or two E1
    (2Mbit) connection(s) back to the rest of the telecom network for this. so
    the maximum bandwidth that can get thru to those 24 DSL user is 4Mbits.. so
    if you happen to have 8 of them online all trying to download Quake
    7/windows2009/whatever you are all fighting for a share of that 4Mbits..

    Even if all four E1s have been installed that is really only enough for one
    user downloading at fullspeed (assuming s/he lives across the road from the
    conklin box and get 7.6Mbit connection)

    http://www.conklin-intracom.com/pdf/2003RTNPA.pdf <-- a conklin dslam
    (might not be the exact model telecom uses)

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/binarys/ws_bulletin_august_24_2005.pdf <-- out of
    date but shows the structure of the telecom DSL network on page 11. Also
    details some of the other shaping that goes on..
    And rumour is the contention ratio has gone from 50:1 to something around
    130:1
    El Chippy, Nov 7, 2006
  13. >
    > Even if all four E1s have been installed that is really only enough for
    > one user downloading at fullspeed (assuming s/he lives across the road
    > from the conklin box and get 7.6Mbit connection)

    It seems Telecom limit each customer to ~1.8Mbps so they will not kill all
    the other customers on the conklin units.. This means if you are on one of
    these (like I am) you will not get more than ~1.8Mbps (even if you ask to go
    to the FS/FS plan they will put you on). but what you'll get is ~1.8M/500K
    connection. :-(

    Thanks
    Craig
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz