    software.

    Thanks,

    John S

    John S, Jul 4, 2007

  2. John S

    Sharktcwnwap Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    news:1sphigsvqc382$.z0ylx8dr5o8x$...
    > Saw a reference somewhere to www.speedtest.net and thought I would check
    > the speed of my connection. (It's only supposed to be 256k, but often
    > seems
    > not much better than dial-up).
    >
    > However, the site simply popped up a window telling me that I would need
    > install some version of Flash plus the current version of Javascript ( I
    > think).
    >
    > Are there other sites for testing NZ speeds, which don't require
    > installing
    > software.

    http://ip.northnet.net.nz/

    Click on 'Speed Test'

    --
    Sharktcwnwap

    Sharktcwnwap, Jul 4, 2007

  3. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.speedtest.co.nz/
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2007
  4. John S

    jack Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:41:10 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >John S wrote:
    >> Saw a reference somewhere to www.speedtest.net and thought I would
    >> check the speed of my connection. (It's only supposed to be 256k, but
    >> often seems not much better than dial-up).
    >>
    >> However, the site simply popped up a window telling me that I would
    >> need to install some version of Flash plus the current version of
    >> Javascript ( I think).
    >>
    >> Are there other sites for testing NZ speeds, which don't require
    >> installing software.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> John S

    >http://www.speedtest.co.nz/

    Are, ! but do these site tell you if your settings are wrong and how may packet losses there are..?

    This one does

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    But also needs Java loaded, this is a very normal thing with XP as Java was removed by MS due to
    being sued by SUN systems..

    jack, Jul 5, 2007
  5. John S

    Max Burke Guest

    In news: ~misfit~ Scribbled:
    > John S wrote:
    >> Saw a reference somewhere to www.speedtest.net and thought I would
    >> check the speed of my connection. (It's only supposed to be 256k, but
    >> often seems not much better than dial-up).
    >>
    >> However, the site simply popped up a window telling me that I would
    >> need to install some version of Flash plus the current version of
    >> Javascript ( I think).
    >>
    >> Are there other sites for testing NZ speeds, which don't require
    >> installing software.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> John S

    > http://www.speedtest.co.nz/

    Doesn't work!

    Connecting through Paradise Cable 10Mb/2Mb.
    Just shows a page saying:

    The speed testing engine downloads files from various sources around
    the Internet in order to get an assessment of your connection capabilities.

    Currently processing test: 55902 of 63753
    Location: New Zealand - Auckland (Hosted by: Orcon Internet

    ....and says DONE.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jul 5, 2007
  6. John S

    Keith Guest

    John S <> wrote:
    >Saw a reference somewhere to www.speedtest.net and thought I would check
    >the speed of my connection. (It's only supposed to be 256k, but often seems
    >not much better than dial-up).
    >
    >However, the site simply popped up a window telling me that I would need to
    >install some version of Flash plus the current version of Javascript ( I
    >think).
    >
    >Are there other sites for testing NZ speeds, which don't require installing
    >software.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >John S

    FWIW Consumer have another Flash site at;
    http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php

    Keith, Jul 5, 2007
  7. Craig Whitmore, Jul 5, 2007
  8. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > In news: ~misfit~ Scribbled:
    > > John S wrote:
    > > > Saw a reference somewhere to www.speedtest.net and thought I would
    > > > check the speed of my connection. (It's only supposed to be 256k,
    > > > but often seems not much better than dial-up).
    > > >
    > > > However, the site simply popped up a window telling me that I
    > > > would need to install some version of Flash plus the current
    > > > version of Javascript ( I think).
    > > >
    > > > Are there other sites for testing NZ speeds, which don't require
    > > > installing software.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > John S

    > > http://www.speedtest.co.nz/

    > Doesn't work!
    >
    > Connecting through Paradise Cable 10Mb/2Mb.
    > Just shows a page saying:
    >

    > The speed testing engine downloads files from various sources
    > around the Internet in order to get an assessment of your connection
    > capabilities.
    > Currently processing test: 55902 of 63753
    > Location: New Zealand - Auckland (Hosted by: Orcon Internet
    >

    > ...and says DONE.

    Hmm, same here. Same test number as well. Time to delete that bookmark
    maybe?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 5, 2007
  9. John S

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Max Burke wrote:

    6mbit to Portland Oregon here on Ihug. 6.5mbit to Adelaide hmmmmm still
    lousy performance to Asia as with most NZ isp's

    Craig Sutton, Jul 5, 2007