Broadband speed test

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pimpom, Mar 25, 2009.

  1. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
    have stood out among the many available?

    My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
    some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
    not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.
    pimpom, Mar 25, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. pimpom

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:gqduf6$2ci$ "pimpom" <>
    wrote:

    > Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
    > have stood out among the many available?


    I've found these useful:

    http://jlab4.jlab.org:7123/
    http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/
    http://web100.rit.edu:7123/
    http://speedtest.umflint.edu/
    http://netspeed.stanford.edu/
    http://ciseweb100.cise-nsf.gov:7123/
    http://ndt.server.ufl.edu:7123/
    http://ndt.ncren.net:7123/
    http://ndt.switch.ch/
    http://nitro.ucsc.edu/
    http://nms1.jp.apan.net:7123/

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Mar 25, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. pimpom

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:21:15 +0530, "pimpom" <>
    wrote:

    >Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
    >have stood out among the many available?
    >
    >My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
    >some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
    >not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.


    You do realize the closer the site is to you, the faster / more
    accurate the speed test will be - the further away the site is, the
    slower and less accurate the test results will be?

    Kind of like saying "I want to see how long the postal service will
    take to get a letter to my friend down the street. So I'll test it by
    sending a mail to my cousin across the world."

    That being said, www.2wire.com is good.. So is www.speedtest.net as
    well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009
    #3
  4. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:gqduf6$2ci$ "pimpom"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
    >> have stood out among the many available?

    >
    > I've found these useful:
    >
    > http://jlab4.jlab.org:7123/
    > http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/
    > http://web100.rit.edu:7123/
    > http://speedtest.umflint.edu/
    > http://netspeed.stanford.edu/
    > http://ciseweb100.cise-nsf.gov:7123/
    > http://ndt.server.ufl.edu:7123/
    > http://ndt.ncren.net:7123/
    > http://ndt.switch.ch/
    > http://nitro.ucsc.edu/
    > http://nms1.jp.apan.net:7123/


    Thanks a lot.
    pimpom, Mar 25, 2009
    #4
  5. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:21:15 +0530, "pimpom"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
    >> have stood out among the many available?
    >>
    >> My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
    >> some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
    >> not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.

    >
    > You do realize the closer the site is to you, the faster / more
    > accurate the speed test will be - the further away the site is,
    > the
    > slower and less accurate the test results will be?
    >
    > Kind of like saying "I want to see how long the postal service
    > will
    > take to get a letter to my friend down the street. So I'll test
    > it by
    > sending a mail to my cousin across the world."
    >

    Yes, I know that distance will have an effect on the test
    results. As I said earlier, my ISP has its own test. But I'm
    concerned not so much with my connection to my ISP and nearby
    sites as with what can be expected in practice from sites around
    the world. In fact, the test is not really for me, but for others
    who sometimes ask me for that kind of information.

    I used to have a list of popular sites but haven't been concerned
    with such tests for some time and I lost the list.

    > That being said, www.2wire.com is good.. So is
    > www.speedtest.net as
    > well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .


    Thanks.
    pimpom, Mar 25, 2009
    #5
  6. Evan Platt <> promulgated
    this using news::

    > On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:21:15 +0530, "pimpom" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Are there some sites for free testing of broadband speed that
    >> have stood out among the many available?
    >>
    >> My ISP has its own test site, but it would be nice to know of
    >> some sites that have become popular for some good reasons. I'm
    >> not concerned about testing from a site close to my location.

    >
    > You do realize the closer the site is to you, the faster / more
    > accurate the speed test will be - the further away the site is, the
    > slower and less accurate the test results will be?


    Not so much.

    > Kind of like saying "I want to see how long the postal service will
    > take to get a letter to my friend down the street. So I'll test it by
    > sending a mail to my cousin across the world."


    And then do have the secks with her too?

    > That being said, www.2wire.com is good..


    Using that means you're likely blind and ghaytarded...


    > So is www.speedtest.net as
    > well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .


    I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC when according
    to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should gets faster from the Dallas.
    But they're prolly slower because they're secksing your cousin while
    you're busy just writing about it.

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
    NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

    Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
    in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

    http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/colorspiralillusion01.jpg

    Repent! The end is near.... So, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Mar 25, 2009
    #6
  7. pimpom

    thanatoid Guest

    Bucky Breeder
    <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    wrote in news:Xns9BD999B43E31FBuckyGram@216.151.153.125:

    <SNIP>

    >> So is www.speedtest.net as
    >> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

    >
    > I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC
    > when according to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should
    > gets faster from the Dallas. But they're prolly slower
    > because they're secksing your cousin while you're busy just
    > writing about it.


    Funny, I always wondered about "use the physically closest link
    to DL" on software sites. I ALWAYS get a faster DL from
    somewhere 1/2 way around the world than a thousand miles away!



    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 25, 2009
    #7
  8. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Bucky Breeder
    > <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    > wrote in news:Xns9BD999B43E31FBuckyGram@216.151.153.125:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> So is www.speedtest.net as
    >>> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

    >>
    >> I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC
    >> when according to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should
    >> gets faster from the Dallas. But they're prolly slower
    >> because they're secksing your cousin while you're busy just
    >> writing about it.

    >
    > Funny, I always wondered about "use the physically closest link
    > to DL" on software sites. I ALWAYS get a faster DL from
    > somewhere 1/2 way around the world than a thousand miles away!


    I can't say "always" because I don't check that closely, but I do
    know that I too often get better d/l speeds from distant sites.
    pimpom, Mar 25, 2009
    #8
  9. pimpom

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in
    news:Xns9BD992C382AE0thanexit@209.197.15.184:

    > Bucky Breeder
    > <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    > wrote in news:Xns9BD999B43E31FBuckyGram@216.151.153.125:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>> So is www.speedtest.net as
    >>> well as http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ .

    >>
    >> I like this one! I gets faster from Seattle and/or NYC
    >> when according to your cousin-secksing anecdote I should
    >> gets faster from the Dallas. But they're prolly slower
    >> because they're secksing your cousin while you're busy just
    >> writing about it.

    >
    > Funny, I always wondered about "use the physically closest link
    > to DL" on software sites. I ALWAYS get a faster DL from
    > somewhere 1/2 way around the world than a thousand miles away!
    >

    It's to lower internet traffic saturation. Remember you're downloading at
    60+KB/s for an extended period of time. Aside from NNTP servers, that
    hardly ever happens any other time.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2009
    #9
  10. pimpom

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:16:10 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >It's to lower internet traffic saturation. Remember you're downloading at
    >60+KB/s for an extended period of time. Aside from NNTP servers, that
    >hardly ever happens any other time.


    Wow... No, that never happens downloading a file from a web server or
    an FTP server.

    You are totally clueless.
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009
    #10
  11. pimpom

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > You do realize the closer the site is to you, the faster / more
    > accurate the speed test will be - the further away the site is, the
    > slower and less accurate the test results will be?
    >


    Not true at all.

    Speed is relative to where you're trying to download/connect from/to.

    If your local speed is 10mbps and you're in Main and you're trying to
    download a file from a site in Oregon, your local speed almost means
    nothing, there are many hops between your location and the remote
    location.

    You need to test TO several locations and you need to check upload as
    well as download.

    The best site I've found is at:

    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

    --
    - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Mar 25, 2009
    #11
  12. pimpom

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:23:27 -0400, Leythos <>
    wrote:

    >Not true at all.
    >
    >Speed is relative to where you're trying to download/connect from/to.


    Well, true. If I try to download from say Microsoft, I'm sure I could
    saturate a 10 mb cable connection. But if I try to download from Joe's
    El Cheapo Hosted Server, I may only get 1.5 mbps.

    >If your local speed is 10mbps and you're in Main and you're trying to
    >download a file from a site in Oregon, your local speed almost means
    >nothing, there are many hops between your location and the remote
    >location.


    That's about what I said...

    >You need to test TO several locations and you need to check upload as
    >well as download.
    >
    >The best site I've found is at:
    >
    >http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/


    Umm... I included that link in my post, you omitted that part of my
    quote. :)
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009
    #12
  13. pimpom

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:23:27 -0400, Leythos <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Not true at all.
    > >
    > >Speed is relative to where you're trying to download/connect from/to.

    >
    > Well, true. If I try to download from say Microsoft, I'm sure I could
    > saturate a 10 mb cable connection. But if I try to download from Joe's
    > El Cheapo Hosted Server, I may only get 1.5 mbps.


    Not true - the location as well as many other factors determine final
    speed, but CHEAP does not factor into it most times.

    I know some real cheap servers that have a full 100mbps connection to
    the Internet, fiber connection, and they get that rated speed, but the
    hops between the user/server are what make the difference.

    A bad ISP, over sold, could be an issue at different times of the day,
    or could be a problem just to some destinations and not others.

    There are just too many factors to only consider the local speed.

    There are also issues of MTU settings, some people could get great
    performance locally and terrible performance outside their ISP's
    network.

    I had one customer that was based on CA, they bought a full T1, but
    their pings were terrible and they could not maintain a VPN connection.
    After a year of fighting with the provider we finally got a real tech on
    the phone and they found that they were routing traffic all through
    their east-coast hub....

    [snipped again :) ]


    --
    - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
    (remove 999 for proper email address)
    Leythos, Mar 25, 2009
    #13
  14. pimpom

    Tony Guest

    Chuck was buy putting quarters into the vending machine at the train station
    when the *clue* train went by.

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:16:10 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It's to lower internet traffic saturation. Remember you're downloading at
    > >60+KB/s for an extended period of time. Aside from NNTP servers, that
    > >hardly ever happens any other time.

    >
    > Wow... No, that never happens downloading a file from a web server or
    > an FTP server.
    >
    > You are totally clueless.
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.


    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper
    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs,

    Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!

    El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar

    Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond
    the realm of understandability

    Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday
    Tony, Mar 26, 2009
    #14
  15. Tony <> promulgated this using
    news::

    > Chuck was buy putting quarters into the vending machine
    > at the train station when the *clue* train went by.


    I thought the conductor said "spew train",
    so I jerked off in the bag lady's face...

    AWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKwwwwaaarrrdddd....

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
    NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

    Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
    in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

    http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/colorspiralillusion01.jpg

    Repent! The end is near.... So, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    Bucky Breeder, Mar 26, 2009
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest

    test test test test test test test

    Guest, Jul 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    925
    halfalifer
    Jul 2, 2003
  2. Gazwad

    TEST TEST TEST

    Gazwad, Sep 5, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    617
    Sinisa Saleh
    Sep 5, 2003
  3. a.metselaar

    speed speed speed

    a.metselaar, Dec 28, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    1,007
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ
    Dec 30, 2003
  4. ALane

    Using Broadband Speed Test - question

    ALane, Jan 7, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    621
  5. cowboyz
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    852
    cowboyz
    Nov 25, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page