Broadband shenanigans.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PeeCee, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    Evening all

    Found out about the shenanigans Telecom & co are stooping to today when it
    comes to 'Go Large' and ISP's other than Xtra.

    Problems I've had with one client over the last 4 weeks have revolved around
    the IP assigned to their Broad band Router.
    Initially assigned an Xtra IP (they are a Paradise customer) the only way to
    get email to send was to use smtp.xtra.. in the connection settings (this is
    normal otherwise you get a 'relaying not permitted error)

    Two weeks later email wasn't going, IP is now a Paradise one, change to
    smtp.paradise... , must be the system catching up with itself, fine by me.

    Today email not going 'again' IP is now an Xtra one, have to change the smtp
    to smtp.xtra... again.

    What the heck is going on!

    So I rang the clients provider (Paradise/Clear) for an answer and this is
    what they told me.

    The IP logs for this client confirm they had been swapped between Paradise
    and Xtra IP's over these 4 weeks.
    Under normal circumstances the client will be assigned an Paradise IP.
    However as they are on the Paradise version of Xtra's 'Go Large' plan, when
    Telecom/Xtra (can't remember now which one they said) determined they have
    downloaded "more than 200MB in and hour" or "more than 700MB in 24 Hours"
    they were assigned a 'managed' IP address.
    These 'managed' IP address's ie the 'bad boys' 125.x.x.x IP range are of
    course 'Xtra's' so causing problems namely 1) need to reboot the router
    because the IP has been changed, 2) need to change the smtp server to match
    the particular IP range assigned to the router.

    So what can we do to 'fix' the IP problem?

    Clears suggestion:
    'Change to another plan that is not 'all you can eat' ie a capped plan
    (10GB, 20GB whatever) that way Telecom/Xtra will not reassign the IP because
    it is not subject to 'management'
    Problem with that is the plans they offered the client were all x cents per
    MB over their cap not 'slow to 64K' plans.
    Clear say they are in discussions with Telecom/Xtra about this problem

    %#^*%(**(*&(&%$%$%#@#^*(&*#$!@#$&(&*+$

    Fer crying out loud how is the average user supposed to reasonably manage
    their email smtp servers when the could change day to day. Most of them have
    trouble remembering their password.
    And as for the >200MB per hour / 700MB in 24Hr criteria for admission to the
    'bad boys' IP club
    Download say XP SP2 and instantly you're a 'bad boy' go sit in the corner,
    we can not tolerate you using the net for (shock horror) normal maintenance.

    Tried setting up an new XP PC recently? assuming your XP CD is already SP2
    the current critical update list equals 90MB, throw in the optional XP
    updates like Media player 11 (24MB), dot NET (50MB), a copy of Adobe Acrobat
    8 (21MB), updates for Norton (20-30MB) and suddenly your way over 200 MB an
    hour just 'maintaining' your new PC.

    No fancy YouTube video's, no streaming Radio, no online Games, (and dare one
    mention P2P) fer Ch.... Sake Telecom/Xtra 'WAKE UP' and get your act
    together, this is 2007 not 1987.

    OK got that off my chest, don't feel any better, my current IP is 125...
    (and no I'm not into 'any' P2P at all)

    Best to all
    Paul.
     
    PeeCee, Feb 21, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. PeeCee

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <erhep4$cco$>, "PeeCee" <> wrote:


    > OK got that off my chest, don't feel any better, my current IP is 125...
    > (and no I'm not into 'any' P2P at all)
    >
    > Best to all
    > Paul.


    Orcon "zero shock".

    It was worth the extra $10 a month.
    $10 accounted for about 10 minutes of my time which I have saved dozens
    of times by being able to get updates and patches to put on peoples
    machines.

    Oh yeah, you also get usenet news back as well as web space.
     
    whoisthis, Feb 21, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. PeeCee

    Miguel Guest

    <snip>
    > Telecom/Xtra determined they have downloaded "more than 200MB in and hour"

    </snip>

    That's the first time I've heard of that rule....

    <snip>
    >or "more than 700MB in 24 Hours"

    </snip>

    or that rule.... I think 700MB of traffic (up and down combined)
    between 4:00pm and midnight was the original Telecom limit. it's now
    seems to be whenever Telecom feel like it they can 125 you. It's
    pretty arbitrary. I've been 125 continually since late last year.
    Often between midnight and 8:00am I can send/receive ~1GB of traffic.
    Sometimes during office hours it can drop to ~20MB per hour. Swings
    and roundabouts.

    Regards
    Miguel
     
    Miguel, Feb 21, 2007
    #3
  4. PeeCee

    El Chippy Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:25:51 -0800, Miguel wrote:

    > <snip>
    >> Telecom/Xtra determined they have downloaded "more than 200MB in and hour"

    > </snip>
    >
    > That's the first time I've heard of that rule....
    >
    > <snip>
    >>or "more than 700MB in 24 Hours"

    > </snip>
    >
    > or that rule.... I think 700MB of traffic (up and down combined)
    > between 4:00pm and midnight was the original Telecom limit. it's now
    > seems to be whenever Telecom feel like it they can 125 you. It's
    > pretty arbitrary. I've been 125 continually since late last year.
    > Often between midnight and 8:00am I can send/receive ~1GB of traffic.
    > Sometimes during office hours it can drop to ~20MB per hour. Swings
    > and roundabouts.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel


    Has anyone from telecom ever confirmed that the 125.whatever ip range is
    in fact "the sinbin"?

    I have heard lots of people going on about it, but how do we know its not
    just another normal IP range for go-large customers thats dished out with
    all the rest?

    There are plenty of other ways for telecom to limit your bandwidth if they
    so desire, (the general state of the adsl network seems to do it quite well
    for most go-large customers ;) )
     
    El Chippy, Feb 21, 2007
    #4
  5. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "Miguel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > <snip>
    >> Telecom/Xtra determined they have downloaded "more than 200MB in and
    >> hour"

    > </snip>
    >
    > That's the first time I've heard of that rule....
    >
    > <snip>
    >>or "more than 700MB in 24 Hours"

    > </snip>
    >
    > or that rule.... I think 700MB of traffic (up and down combined)
    > between 4:00pm and midnight was the original Telecom limit. it's now
    > seems to be whenever Telecom feel like it they can 125 you. It's
    > pretty arbitrary. I've been 125 continually since late last year.
    > Often between midnight and 8:00am I can send/receive ~1GB of traffic.
    > Sometimes during office hours it can drop to ~20MB per hour. Swings
    > and roundabouts.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel
    >


    Miguel

    Yes first time I've heard it put in those terms too.
    But those were the words the Clear CSO used.

    Paul
     
    PeeCee, Feb 21, 2007
    #5
  6. PeeCee

    PeeCee Guest

    "El Chippy" <> wrote in message
    news:45dcc225$...
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:25:51 -0800, Miguel wrote:
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>> Telecom/Xtra determined they have downloaded "more than 200MB in and
    >>> hour"

    >> </snip>
    >>
    >> That's the first time I've heard of that rule....
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>>or "more than 700MB in 24 Hours"

    >> </snip>
    >>
    >> or that rule.... I think 700MB of traffic (up and down combined)
    >> between 4:00pm and midnight was the original Telecom limit. it's now
    >> seems to be whenever Telecom feel like it they can 125 you. It's
    >> pretty arbitrary. I've been 125 continually since late last year.
    >> Often between midnight and 8:00am I can send/receive ~1GB of traffic.
    >> Sometimes during office hours it can drop to ~20MB per hour. Swings
    >> and roundabouts.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Miguel

    >
    > Has anyone from telecom ever confirmed that the 125.whatever ip range is
    > in fact "the sinbin"?
    >
    > I have heard lots of people going on about it, but how do we know its not
    > just another normal IP range for go-large customers thats dished out with
    > all the rest?
    >
    > There are plenty of other ways for telecom to limit your bandwidth if they
    > so desire, (the general state of the adsl network seems to do it quite
    > well
    > for most go-large customers ;) )



    Just rang Xtra help desk to find out what the 'true' story about the sinbin
    was.
    They pointed me at
    http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/xtratools/1,8752,205450-204362,00.html which
    very carefully avoids any figures that they could be taken to task on.
    However the CSO did agree that 200MB/hr 700MB/day was generally their
    'trigger' for managing Go Large users.

    Then he tells me Go Large is gone anyway !!!!!
    Came rushing back finish this post and I see the news has already been
    posted to the group.

    mmmm methinks even the dunderheads at Xtra have realised they were going to
    get a hiding from the Consumers Institute and Commerce Commission over their
    Go Large management practices.
    All the weasel words on Xtra's website would suggest they are in backpedal
    mode.

    I note there is still not a mid price plan that has a decent up speed. You
    either get 128 up and a capped plan, or max up but 2c MB over your cap.
    Why don't they have something like max down/512 up with a 10GB cap for $60 ?

    Now lets see shall I go back to 10GB Adventure or save money on the 5GB
    Explorer.


    Cheers
    Paul.
     
    PeeCee, Feb 22, 2007
    #6
  7. PeeCee

    El Chippy Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:18:24 +1300, PeeCee wrote:


    > Just rang Xtra help desk to find out what the 'true' story about the sinbin
    > was.
    > They pointed me at
    > http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/xtratools/1,8752,205450-204362,00.html which
    > very carefully avoids any figures that they could be taken to task on.
    > However the CSO did agree that 200MB/hr 700MB/day was generally their
    > 'trigger' for managing Go Large users.
    >
    > Then he tells me Go Large is gone anyway !!!!!
    > Came rushing back finish this post and I see the news has already been
    > posted to the group.
    >
    > mmmm methinks even the dunderheads at Xtra have realised they were going to
    > get a hiding from the Consumers Institute and Commerce Commission over their
    > Go Large management practices.
    > All the weasel words on Xtra's website would suggest they are in backpedal
    > mode.
    >
    > I note there is still not a mid price plan that has a decent up speed. You
    > either get 128 up and a capped plan, or max up but 2c MB over your cap.
    > Why don't they have something like max down/512 up with a 10GB cap for $60 ?
    >
    > Now lets see shall I go back to 10GB Adventure or save money on the 5GB
    > Explorer.


    Option C) go to a real isp! vote with your $$$ and tell telecom what you
    really think of them.

    Orcon do max/max unlimited for $70/month ($60 with tolls)

    Xnet have been good, but lately i've noticed that it is slowing down a bit
    in peak times. (But still not bad really)
     
    El Chippy, Feb 22, 2007
    #7

  8. >
    > Option C) go to a real isp! vote with your $$$ and tell telecom what you
    > really think of them.
    >
    > Orcon do max/max unlimited for $70/month ($60 with tolls)
    >
    > Xnet have been good, but lately i've noticed that it is slowing down a bit
    > in peak times. (But still not bad really)

    isnt orcons max/max plan the same offer as telecoms go large... Wouldnt
    they also stop signing up new customers to that plan?
     
    Andrew Lambert, Feb 22, 2007
    #8
  9. PeeCee

    -=rjh=- Guest

    El Chippy wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:18:24 +1300, PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Just rang Xtra help desk to find out what the 'true' story about the sinbin
    >> was.
    >> They pointed me at
    >> http://jetstream.xtra.co.nz/xtratools/1,8752,205450-204362,00.html which
    >> very carefully avoids any figures that they could be taken to task on.
    >> However the CSO did agree that 200MB/hr 700MB/day was generally their
    >> 'trigger' for managing Go Large users.
    >>
    >> Then he tells me Go Large is gone anyway !!!!!
    >> Came rushing back finish this post and I see the news has already been
    >> posted to the group.
    >>
    >> mmmm methinks even the dunderheads at Xtra have realised they were going to
    >> get a hiding from the Consumers Institute and Commerce Commission over their
    >> Go Large management practices.
    >> All the weasel words on Xtra's website would suggest they are in backpedal
    >> mode.
    >>
    >> I note there is still not a mid price plan that has a decent up speed. You
    >> either get 128 up and a capped plan, or max up but 2c MB over your cap.
    >> Why don't they have something like max down/512 up with a 10GB cap for $60 ?
    >>
    >> Now lets see shall I go back to 10GB Adventure or save money on the 5GB
    >> Explorer.

    >
    > Option C) go to a real isp! vote with your $$$ and tell telecom what you
    > really think of them.
    >
    > Orcon do max/max unlimited for $70/month ($60 with tolls)


    Wish that were so, but Orcon don't do any unlimited plans according to
    their web site, and certainly not for $70.00 - even max/max/30GB is $90.00.

    But like many others, I'm pretty happy with their 256/128/40 plan as it
    is currently performing (except for appalling p2p shaping).
     
    -=rjh=-, Feb 22, 2007
    #9
  10. PeeCee

    El Chippy Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:38:44 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

    s)
    >
    > Wish that were so, but Orcon don't do any unlimited plans according to
    > their web site, and certainly not for $70.00 - even max/max/30GB is $90.00.
    >
    > But like many others, I'm pretty happy with their 256/128/40 plan as it
    > is currently performing (except for appalling p2p shaping).



    Ah, my bad, i didn't realise the reasonable use was only 20gb on zeroshock.
     
    El Chippy, Feb 22, 2007
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=

    70-291 test center shenanigans

    =?Utf-8?B?SXJhbSBIZXJuYW5kZXo=?=, Jul 28, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    842
  2. Crockett

    Start Menu Shenanigans

    Crockett, Apr 3, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    603
    Evan Platt
    Apr 3, 2007
  3. Snake

    Router shenanigans

    Snake, Jul 5, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    443
  4. Bill
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    746
    Nobody
    May 28, 2008
  5. richard

    More phoenix political shenanigans

    richard, Sep 16, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    444
    Jordon
    Sep 16, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page