    Jim on Tyneside UK
    Remove X to email me.
    http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott/

    Jim Scott, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Jim Scott

    SwissTony Guest

    "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    news:16723dqn77djw$...
    > I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    > Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?
    > When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected to

    the
    > phone-line. If I uninstall the modem then I get nothing.
    > --
    > Jim on Tyneside UK
    > Remove X to email me.
    > http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott/

    click tools-accounts
    then click the mail tab then select a mail account
    click properties.
    click connection tab
    put a tick in the box "always connect to this account using"
    change the connection to your external modem, click ok.

    not to sure if this one works as i cant try it on my machine
    click tools- options
    click the connection tab
    under internet connection settings, click change.
    click the dialup for the external modem then click set as default.
    click ok
    then ok again.

    SwissTony, Feb 25, 2005

  3. SwissTony wrote:
    > "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    >> Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?
    >> When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected
    >> to the phone-line. If I uninstall the modem then I get nothing.
    >> --
    >> Jim on Tyneside UK
    >> Remove X to email me.
    >> http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott/

    > click tools-accounts
    > then click the mail tab then select a mail account
    > click properties.
    > click connection tab
    > put a tick in the box "always connect to this account using"
    > change the connection to your external modem, click ok.
    >
    > not to sure if this one works as i cant try it on my machine
    > click tools- options
    > click the connection tab
    > under internet connection settings, click change.
    > click the dialup for the external modem then click set as default.
    > click ok
    > then ok again.

    Engage brain before replying in future! You are talking complete and utter
    bullshit. If you don't know anything about the way a broadband 'modem' works
    (and you obviously don't) then don't bother replying as your 'advice' only
    serves to mislead and offer false hope. You can't dial out using a broadband
    'modem' (quotes deiberate because it's not a modem at all - modem is a
    contraction of modulation-demodulation and can only be applied to a device
    capable of carrying data signals via a standard phone line - yes, I know
    it's a crap description) because a broadband modem is nothing more than an
    external network connection to a WAN (wide area network) and a network card
    has no telephony capabilities, and neither does an ADSL 'modem'. He must
    connect his internal analogue modem to a splitter attached to his phone
    line. That is the only way,
    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Feb 25, 2005
  4. Jim Scott wrote:
    > I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    > Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?
    > When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected to the
    > phone-line. If I uninstall the modem then I get nothing.

    Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections tab
    If you have anything in the window for Dial-up and Virtual private
    Network settings, remove it, all other options will grey out.

    You may need to double check your LAN settings, but I doubt it as only
    one network program is affected.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 25, 2005
  5. Jim Scott

    SwissTony Guest

    > Engage brain before replying in future! You are talking complete and utter
    > bullshit. If you don't know anything about the way a broadband 'modem'

    works
    > (and you obviously don't) then don't bother replying as your 'advice' only
    > serves to mislead and offer false hope. You can't dial out using a

    broadband
    > 'modem' (quotes deiberate because it's not a modem at all - modem is a
    > contraction of modulation-demodulation and can only be applied to a device
    > capable of carrying data signals via a standard phone line - yes, I know
    > it's a crap description) because a broadband modem is nothing more than an
    > external network connection to a WAN (wide area network) and a network

    card
    > has no telephony capabilities, and neither does an ADSL 'modem'. He must
    > connect his internal analogue modem to a splitter attached to his phone
    > line. That is the only way,
    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    Actually you are only half right.
    some modems create a entry in dialup networking.

    SwissTony, Feb 25, 2005
  6. Jim Scott

    SwissTony Guest

    "SwissTony" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    > > Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?
    > > When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected to

    > the
    > > phone-line. If I uninstall the modem then I get nothing.
    > > --
    > > Jim on Tyneside UK
    > > Remove X to email me.
    > > http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott/

    > click tools-accounts

    Appologies i didnt read you question properly
    My answer is for outlook express not outlook
    I expect it will be similar though

    SwissTony, Feb 25, 2005
  7. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:00:51 GMT, Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Jim Scott wrote:
    >> I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    >> Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?
    >> When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected to the
    >> phone-line. If I uninstall the modem then I get nothing.

    > Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections tab
    > If you have anything in the window for Dial-up and Virtual private
    > Network settings, remove it, all other options will grey out.
    >
    > You may need to double check your LAN settings, but I doubt it as only
    > one network program is affected.

    But that's where my adsl modem is!

    Jim Scott, Feb 25, 2005
  8. Jim Scott

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim Scott wrote:
    > I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    > Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?

    No.

    > When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected
    > to the phone-line.

    If you want dial capabilities connect your dialup modem to the
    phoneline. The adsl can't do that.

    See Perspi's.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 25, 2005
  9. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:21:23 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Jim Scott wrote:
    >> I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    >> Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?

    > No.
    >
    >> When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected
    >> to the phone-line.

    > If you want dial capabilities connect your dialup modem to the
    > phoneline. The adsl can't do that.
    >
    > See Perspi's.

    Fine, that's done and it works with an application called 'Phonedeck'. It
    still does not dial out with MSOutlook, but I'm darned if I can work out
    why :eek:(

    Jim Scott, Feb 25, 2005
  10. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:49:45 -0000, SwissTony wrote:

    > "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a USB modem on XP SP2 for adsl.
    >> Can I use it to dial out using eg Outlook Contacts?
    >> When I try, Outlook goes to my internal modem which is not connected to

    > the
    >> phone-line. If I uninstall the modem then I get nothing.
    >> --
    >> Jim on Tyneside UK
    >> Remove X to email me.
    >> http://freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott/

    > click tools-accounts
    > then click the mail tab then select a mail account
    > click properties.
    > click connection tab
    > put a tick in the box "always connect to this account using"
    > change the connection to your external modem, click ok.
    >
    > not to sure if this one works as i cant try it on my machine
    > click tools- options
    > click the connection tab
    > under internet connection settings, click change.
    > click the dialup for the external modem then click set as default.
    > click ok
    > then ok again.

    I think you may be referring to Outlook *Express*.
    I need to use *Outlook*

    Jim Scott, Feb 25, 2005
  11. Jim Scott

    Sam Jewel Guest

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, <>, the dainty, dressed-up fermentation
    bucket, and servant who polishes shoes, conveyed:

    > Engage brain before replying in future! You are talking complete and
    > utter bullshit. If you don't know anything

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! PKB of the fucking century...

    Subject: Re: Windows XP question
    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:57:25 +0000
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.os.windows-xp,comp.os.linux.advocacy

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Daniel wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message news:421a5e05$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    >>> Oh!! Now I follow you! Okay then, I need XP Pro in order to upgrade
    >>> W2K Pro! Thank you!!!
    >>>

    >> And XP Pro has less bugs from what I've always heard & even
    >> experienced on other people's systems.

    > No, it has /fewer/ bugs. Sorry, but not to know the difference between
    > 'less' and 'fewer' is complete ignorance.
    >
    > Less is used when the thing(s) you're comparing cannot be quantified.
    > Thus "I weigh less today than I did last week" would be correct, but
    > "I weigh fewer today than I did last week" would not. However, if you
    > were to add something quantifiable to the sentence "I weigh 5lbs
    > fewer than I did last week" would be correct, because 'pounds' is
    > quantifiable.
    > 'Bugs' is the subject, which can be quantified, therefore 'fewer' is
    > the correct word. Less is used for things that cannot be quantified,
    > or are used to describe a whole group of things e.g. weight,
    > capacity, height, etc.

    Ok, you fucked in the head slut, let's take your grammar laming to its
    obvious conclusion:

    Quantify the number of bugs in XP Pro.

    Of course, if you knew jack shit about shit, which you don't, you fucking
    netloon, you'd know that it is impossible to quantify 'bugs' beyond those
    already known. Your fuckwitted illogic, on diplay thanks to your fuckwitted
    grammar laming, excludes all future but currently unkown bugs, eh, slutguts?
    Hmmm?

    few
    adj., fewer, fewest.
    1. Amounting to or consisting of a small number: one of my few bad
    habits.
    2. Being more than one but indefinitely small in number: bowled a few
    strings.

    n. (used with a pl. verb)

    1. An indefinitely small number of persons or things: A few of the books
    have torn jackets.
    2. An exclusive or limited number: the discerning few; the fortunate few.

    Oh, look at that word there, indefinitely.

    You appear to be wrong, you fucking mouth-breathing, arm-swinging,
    knuckle-dragging, snot-guzzling, useless bag of guts and giblets.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

    few'ness n.

    USAGE NOTE The traditional rule holds that fewer should be used for things
    that can be counted (fewer than four players), while less should be used
    with mass terms for things of measurable extent (less paper; less than a
    gallon of paint). /However/, less is used in some constructions where fewer
    would occur if the traditional rule were being followed.

    http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=1555&dekey=F0096700&gwp=8&
    curtab=1555_1

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Grammar lamers always show themselves up for the total
    fuckwits that they are, without fail.

    Sam Jewel, Feb 26, 2005