    with the modem and router or am I apt to have problems looking for drivers.
    Wouls appreciate any feedback.

    Richard
    Richard G Carruthers, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Richard, I use bellsouth.net for my DSL provider and it works fine.
    I would suggest that you don't use a USB modem, instead use a modem that
    will work with your network card.
    USB has some issues still and as long as your NIC works, you should be "Good
    To Go"

    Al Swearengen Proprietor
    Gem Saloon
    Deadwood
    Dakota Territory

    Post On

    Al Swearengen, Jul 19, 2005

  3. "Richard G Carruthers" <> wrote in message
    >I am considering upgrading to a Broadband ISP offered by my phone company.
    >Just wondering what pitfalls I might run into, like should I be all
    >right with the modem and router or am I apt to have problems looking for
    >drivers. Wouls appreciate any feedback.
    >
    > Richard

    As Al wrote, use your onboard NIC to connect to your DSL modem. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 20, 2005
  4. Richard G Carruthers

    DKI Guest

    What Type of Broadband are you getting. there are 2 types Cabel and DSL.

    Over here in the UK i have Cable and the modem i have has both USB and
    ethernet on it.

    Some companies i know only use USB modems (both cabel and dsl) over here
    which i don't see why.

    If possible get one with ethernet and not USB since it will run better and
    not need additional drivers since it will run of your network card and as
    wayne wrote if you have onboard ethernet use that with the modem.

    If your linking more than 1 PC to the internet it would be worth getting a
    router if your just connecting the one PC i would'nt bother a router but
    thats down to you.

    Remember if you get a Router it has to be compatable with your connection
    either DSL or cable.

    DKI, Jul 20, 2005
  5. Richard G Carruthers

    Tim Guest

    If you are purchasing the modem, make sure you get one with an in-built
    firewall.
    If not, get a small firewall box regardless. It will make life easier in the
    long run.

    Make sure the firewall is configured correctly. The default configuration of
    every firewall I have come across recently has been OK to start with.

    The biggest pitfall with permanent connections is that it makes installation
    of trojans and spyware a lot faster and easier. Once you inadvertantly have
    one installed, the rest tend to follow crippling systems. So, Firewall, AV,
    and Anti Spyware are a must.

    - Tim

    Tim, Jul 20, 2005
  6. Richard -
    You should be fine with a modem+router combination. I would encourage you
    to leave the Windows Firewall enabled, since you're "always there" and thus a
    better target. You don't, by the way, technically need a router/gateway, but
    I think it's a good idea anyway. It makes it easy to connect multiple
    computers to a single connection, and hides them behind an additional layer
    of protection. It also provides a very OS agnostic system.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 20, 2005
  7. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > It also provides a very OS agnostic system.
    >
    > --

    Actually, it would be more appropriate to say, a poly OS system. Agnositics
    are those that aren't sure what they believe. While a polythiest is one that
    believes in several dieties. LOL

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Ah, OS's as deities. Somehow, I don't think so. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 20, 2005
  9. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Ah, OS's as deities. Somehow, I don't think so. ;)
    >

    > --

    ROFLMAO. :)
    Wayne Wastier, Jul 20, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 20, 2005
  11. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > Speaking of broadband, mine just stinks!
    > --
    > Andre

    What kind of broadband do you have Andre, cable or DSL?

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jul 20, 2005
  12. Richard G Carruthers

    DKI Guest

    So Does NTL broadband which is currently payed for by my parents. But the
    worst is BT especially with the fast speeds and super redickulas caps to
    match it.

    BT 2Mbps (1Gb limit a month) (basic £15.99)
    NTL 1Mbps (3Gb limit a month)
    my parents had the option to move to the 1mb line with ntl but kept the
    300kbps which is 30Gb a month usage. and i alone use more that 3Gb playing
    online games.

    The faster ones are a little more reasonable but i feel they should be a
    little more higher to match the speeds.this is in my area listing the 2
    biggest (there are more providers but this is an ilustration)

    NTLs
    NTL 1Mbps (3Gb limit a month) (£17.99)
    2Mbps 1Gb a day limit (£24.99)
    3Mbps 1Gb a day limit (£37.99)

    BTs
    BT 2Mbps (1Gb limit a month) (basic £15.99)
    2MB 15Gb a month limit (noraml £22.99)

    BT Yahoo
    2Mbps 15Gb a month (£24.99)
    2Mbps 30Gb a month (£27.99)

    DKI, Jul 20, 2005
  13. "DKI" <> wrote in message
    > So Does NTL broadband which is currently payed for by my parents. But the
    > worst is BT especially with the fast speeds and super redickulas caps to
    > match it.

    That bites. Ouch!!!! :)

    I have a 3mbs connection, and can share it with 4 other Internet ready
    devices ... (computers, XBox, PS2, etc...) and I only pay 39.95 a month for
    this. It is soon going to 5mbs for the same price. Oh, and btw, no limit on
    usage. ;o)

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jul 20, 2005
  14. Richard G Carruthers

    John Barnes Guest

    My closest broadband connection is 7 miles away :-( or I can cut down 5
    trees and pay 99.99 a month with very limited bandwidth :-((

    John Barnes, Jul 20, 2005
  15. Richard G Carruthers

    DKI Guest

    There is only one but its DSL (same as BT). theres is unlimited (no
    bandwidth caps) 8mbps down and 400kbps up and thats only £17.99 which i want
    my parents to switch to.

    Which would be overall better and clearly is more value for money than what
    the bigger companies are offering. the 2 best over here are blue beyonder
    (not avilable in my area and owned by telewest) and bulldog. they are
    smaller companies and can clearly offer better than the bigger guys.

    but the uploads is still shit on my 300k line its only 64k up the 1mbps is
    100k.

    well when i get my own place and paying the bill its not going to be ntl or
    bt for broadband. but ntl is cheap for phone calls so i stay with them and
    so is there cable package compaired to sky which is an alternative for tv
    channels.

    DKI, Jul 20, 2005
  16. "John Barnes" <> wrote in message
    > My closest broadband connection is 7 miles away :-( or I can cut down
    > 5 trees and pay 99.99 a month with very limited bandwidth :-((

    Maybe it is time to move? ROFLOL (just kidding)

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Jul 20, 2005
  17. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 20, 2005
  18. Not unless its worth your while. The reason why I got broadband in the first
    place was to simply stop waiting on webpages, but I don't see the major
    difference since I got this 512kbps line, dial up is just the same. I'm
    hoping this will change over time, since my ISP Cable & Wireless is starting
    a campaign to make dial up ubiquitous throughout the island, but at this
    rate I have to say its rather crappy.

    It is so unreliable, its always disconnecting messenger, messages stop
    downloading, its just horrible.

    I'm paying US $50 for it.
    --
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 20, 2005
  19. "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    > Not unless its worth your while. The reason why I got broadband in the
    > first place was to simply stop waiting on webpages, but I don't see the
    > major difference since I got this 512kbps line, dial up is just the same.
    > I'm hoping this will change over time, since my ISP Cable & Wireless is
    > starting a campaign to make dial up ubiquitous throughout the island, but
    > at this rate I have to say its rather crappy.
    >
    > It is so unreliable, its always disconnecting messenger, messages stop
    > downloading, its just horrible.
    >
    > I'm paying US $50 for it.
    > --
    > Andre

    Do they wear a mask and hold a gun on you when you pay your bill? LOL
    (might look more realistic if they did. LOL) Don't they have Cable Internet
    where you are yet?
    Wayne Wastier, Jul 20, 2005
  20. Have you never said "OMIGOD!" while running your computer?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2005