Broadband Packet Loss

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Edw. Peach, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    I have broadband cable internet and have been having intermittent
    problems getting around online lately. Usually the first thing I do
    when I get online is check my online email. That often doesn't
    connect and I get a 'time out' or 'server not found' message and then
    when I hit the 'try again' button, get there.

    This morning I called my ISP and they checked a few things at their
    end and found that I had 20% packet loss. They are sending out a
    service man.

    I'm wondering if anything nefarious could be behind this. Around New
    Years my AV software picked up some malware, JAVABYTEVER.A. It was
    supposed to have been removed but a few weeks later I did an online
    scan (after discovering that my AV software wasn't updating) and found
    some some more, TRAK.SE.77236, TROJ_SE.69649, and HTTP COOKIES. I
    removed those and have scanned my system a number of times since, both
    on and offline. My AV software updates normally.

    Could anything here have to do with my packet loss on my internet
    signal? Anything I should mention to the technician to look for?

    (Windows XP)

    Edw. Peach, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Edw. Peach

    Todd H. Guest

    Edw. Peach <> writes:
    > I have broadband cable internet and have been having intermittent
    > problems getting around online lately. Usually the first thing I do
    > when I get online is check my online email. That often doesn't
    > connect and I get a 'time out' or 'server not found' message and then
    > when I hit the 'try again' button, get there.
    >
    > This morning I called my ISP and they checked a few things at their
    > end and found that I had 20% packet loss. They are sending out a
    > service man.

    I had horrible packet loss problems despite good signal power levels
    and acceptable SNR. After months of having many technicians out they
    finally replaced the g-damn modem and all was well.

    > I'm wondering if anything nefarious could be behind this. Around New
    > Years my AV software picked up some malware, JAVABYTEVER.A. It was
    > supposed to have been removed but a few weeks later I did an online
    > scan (after discovering that my AV software wasn't updating) and found
    > some some more, TRAK.SE.77236, TROJ_SE.69649, and HTTP COOKIES. I
    > removed those and have scanned my system a number of times since, both
    > on and offline. My AV software updates normally.
    >
    > Could anything here have to do with my packet loss on my internet
    > signal? Anything I should mention to the technician to look for?

    Extremely unlikely that malware would cause packet loss unless the
    malware is tying up your network connection so heavily that your
    nic/tcp/ip stack isn't keeping up.

    Do you hve a broadband router or anything that might have a diagnostic
    web page where you can do ping tests from it, and remove you actual
    computer from the equation? Do you have another computer on your
    home network to test with? Consider booting a linux live cd to test
    with, and eliminate the malware that might be on your windows
    partitions from the equation?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Feb 1, 2006

  3. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    No router or home network. I only have one computer on the system.

    Edw. Peach, Feb 1, 2006
  4. Edw. Peach

    Todd H. Guest

    Edw. Peach <> writes:

    > No router or home network. I only have one computer on the system.

    Grab this,
    http://www.sysresccd.org/

    reboot to it, and run your ping tests and see if there's any
    difference. I'm guessin gthere won't be. Push the techs to replace
    your cable modem if their signal strength tests come out okay.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Feb 1, 2006
  5. Edw. Peach

    vernon Guest

    "Todd H." <> wrote in message
    > Edw. Peach <> writes:
    >
    >> No router or home network. I only have one computer on the system.

    > Grab this,
    > http://www.sysresccd.org/
    >
    > reboot to it, and run your ping tests and see if there's any
    > difference. I'm guessin gthere won't be. Push the techs to replace
    > your cable modem if their signal strength tests come out okay.

    Most people own their modem.
    The best today (note today) is the Motorola 5100 series.
    An older Modem (older model) will often cause problems.
    Renting a modem means that you get the one that they got the best "deal" on.
    It may or may not be the best.

    vernon, Feb 1, 2006
  6. Edw. Peach

    Todd H. Guest

    "vernon" <> writes:

    > Most people own their modem.

    Contrarian datapoint #1: I don't, and there's no additional charge on
    my Comcast bill for it.

    > The best today (note today) is the Motorola 5100 series.

    Contrarian datapoint #2: A 1 year old Motorola SB5120 is what was
    giving me so many problems over the past 3 months. Comcast finally
    replaced it with a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 and all packetloss
    problems went away. I don't dispute that perhaps a new SB5120
    would've netted the same results. But do a search on SB5120 packet
    loss. The number of hits I found when researching my own (now
    resolved) problem was pretty staggering.

    > An older Modem (older model) will often cause problems.
    > Renting a modem means that you get the one that they got the best "deal" on.
    > It may or may not be the best.

    True.

    And to the OP, if you own your modem, and it's the thing giving you
    trouble, brace for being charged for the service call that fingers
    your equipment as the problem.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Feb 1, 2006
  7. Edw. Peach

    vernon Guest

    "Todd H." <> wrote in message
    > "vernon" <> writes:
    >
    >> Most people own their modem.

    > Contrarian datapoint #1: I don't, and there's no additional charge on
    > my Comcast bill for it.

    You think so?
    That is unique or it's hidden in the base.

    At Cox you have three choices for a modem.
    1. Pay for it as part of installation.
    2. Pay a monthly fee.
    3. Buy one yourself and don't pay any installation charges whatever.

    >> The best today (note today) is the Motorola 5100 series.

    > Contrarian datapoint #2: A 1 year old Motorola SB5120 is what was
    > giving me so many problems over the past 3 months. Comcast finally
    > replaced it with a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 and all packetloss
    > problems went away. I don't dispute that perhaps a new SB5120
    > would've netted the same results. But do a search on SB5120 packet
    > loss. The number of hits I found when researching my own (now
    > resolved) problem was pretty staggering.

    Comcast
    I don't know for sure but several ISPs were not capable of handling the 5120
    that kept trying to use upgrades that weren't there.

    >> An older Modem (older model) will often cause problems.
    >> Renting a modem means that you get the one that they got the best "deal"
    >> on.
    >> It may or may not be the best.

    > True.
    >
    > And to the OP, if you own your modem, and it's the thing giving you
    > trouble, brace for being charged for the service call that fingers
    > your equipment as the problem.
    >
    > Best Regards,

    You got that right. If one keeps their eyes open they can limit it to a
    $30.00 or $50.00 call.

    vernon, Feb 1, 2006
  8. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:42:15 -0700, "vernon" <> wrote:

    I do not own the modem. It belongs to my ISP. The appointment is
    first thing in the morning, so I hope to have the matter resolved.

    Edw. Peach, Feb 2, 2006
  9. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    Todd H: The technician just left. He replaced the modem and I'm
    really cutting thru the internet now. That was definitely the
    problem.

    Thanks.

    Edw. Peach, Feb 2, 2006
  10. Edw. Peach

    vernon Guest

    "Edw. Peach" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:42:15 -0700, "vernon" <> wrote:
    >
    > I do not own the modem. It belongs to my ISP. The appointment is
    > first thing in the morning, so I hope to have the matter resolved.

    Good luck. (That isn't being sarcastic) I mean, I hope you get it
    resolved.

    I had a problem a couple months back. Supposedly everything was O.K. The
    tech came out and by the time he was finished he ran a whole new run from
    the street, underground. along the wall, a new amplified splitter.
    I didn't pay a dime.

    vernon, Feb 2, 2006
  11. Edw. Peach

    Edw. Peach Guest

    Nope, it looks like it was the modem. I've really been flying with
    this new one, my speed over 6 Mbps.

    Thanks.

    Edw. Peach, Feb 2, 2006