    more.

    Thanks in anticipation,
    Ben

    Ben, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Ben

    cowboyz Guest

    "Ben" <ben@no_spam_benz1.com> wrote in message
    news:bms39b$hu6$...
    > I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT business.
    > Coming from the UK where I'm used to unlimited traffic on ADSL I'm

    horrified
    > by the caps on all but Jetstream Starter national traffic. Are there any
    > broadband alternatives without caps? What sort of connections do
    > small/medium sized businesses use? Is it cost effective for high traffic
    > users to have a T1 (or equivalent) installed? Would be interested to know
    > what alternatives there are, the approximate costs, and where to find out
    > more.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    > Ben

    Not really sure ont his but I heard somehwere that if your phone is a
    business phone your not allowed jetstart anyway? Sorry for straying
    slightly but not really. is this true?

    To answer the OP question. Connections available are really determined on
    where you live as well so "pre-advice" is not really going to be of any use.

    cowboyz, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Ben

    XPD Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > "Ben" <ben@no_spam_benz1.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT

    business.
    > > Coming from the UK where I'm used to unlimited traffic on ADSL I'm

    > horrified
    > > by the caps on all but Jetstream Starter national traffic. Are there any
    > > broadband alternatives without caps? What sort of connections do
    > > small/medium sized businesses use? Is it cost effective for high traffic
    > > users to have a T1 (or equivalent) installed? Would be interested to

    know
    > > what alternatives there are, the approximate costs, and where to find

    out
    > > more.
    > >
    > > Thanks in anticipation,
    > > Ben
    > >

    > Not really sure ont his but I heard somehwere that if your phone is a
    > business phone your not allowed jetstart anyway? Sorry for straying
    > slightly but not really. is this true?

    If youre a home business, not a problem.
    If your premises is classed as busniess only then you only have Jetstream as
    an option, no Jetstream Starter.

    XPD, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Ben

    samg Guest

    > I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT
    > business. Coming from the UK where I'm used to unlimited traffic on
    > ADSL I'm horrified by the caps on all but Jetstream Starter national
    > traffic. Are there any broadband alternatives without caps? What sort
    > of connections do small/medium sized businesses use? Is it cost
    > effective for high traffic users to have a T1 (or equivalent)
    > installed? Would be interested to know what alternatives there are,
    > the approximate costs, and where to find out more.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    > Ben

    heh your in for a short sharp shock my friend.

    samg, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Ben

    harry Guest

    > I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT business.
    > Coming from the UK where I'm used to unlimited traffic on ADSL I'm

    horrified
    > by the caps on all but Jetstream Starter national traffic. Are there any
    > broadband alternatives without caps? What sort of connections do
    > small/medium sized businesses use? Is it cost effective for high traffic
    > users to have a T1 (or equivalent) installed? Would be interested to know
    > what alternatives there are, the approximate costs, and where to find out
    > more.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    > Ben

    If you are going to live in the Telstra-Saturn cable coverage area, that is
    your best option.
    NZ Telecom is monopoly gatekeeper on ADSL connections and charges a data
    rate on top of your ISP charges.
    They are retards

    harry, Oct 18, 2003
  6. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:59:51 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > Not really sure ont his but I heard somehwere that if your phone is a
    > business phone your not allowed jetstart anyway? Sorry for straying
    > slightly but not really. is this true?

    Correct. Jetstart is home users only.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Ben

    cowboyz Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > > Not really sure ont his but I heard somehwere that if your phone is a
    > > business phone your not allowed jetstart anyway? Sorry for straying
    > > slightly but not really. is this true?

    > If youre a home business, not a problem.
    > If your premises is classed as busniess only then you only have Jetstream

    as
    > an option, no Jetstream Starter.

    oh, is that the story. I knew there was something around those lines.

    Thanx for clearign that up

    cowboyz, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Ben

    Jay Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT business.

    Why don't you move to Australia instead.
    The weather and the ADSL is better here.

    Jay, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Ben

    harry Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:53:07 +1000, Jay wrote:

    > Ben wrote:
    >
    >> I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT business.

    > Why don't you move to Australia instead.
    > The weather and the ADSL is better here.

    They don't like people who have different accents though.

    harry, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Ben

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    harry <> wrote in news:p:

    >> Why don't you move to Australia instead.
    >> The weather and the ADSL is better here.

    > They don't like people who have different accents though.

    I don't see why that should be, they can't speak proper anyways and there
    ain't much channnnceee if it changing either ;)

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Ben

    Jay Guest

    harry wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:53:07 +1000, Jay wrote:
    >
    >> Ben wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT
    >>> business.

    >> Why don't you move to Australia instead.
    >> The weather and the ADSL is better here.

    > They don't like people who have different accents though.

    How you accuse the "weather" and "ADSL" as not liking people who have
    dufferent uccents?

    Who is the "they" that you refer to?

    Jay, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Ben

    Ben Guest

    > I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT business.
    > Coming from the UK where I'm used to unlimited traffic on ADSL I'm

    horrified
    > by the caps on all but Jetstream Starter national traffic. Are there any
    > broadband alternatives without caps? What sort of connections do
    > small/medium sized businesses use? Is it cost effective for high traffic
    > users to have a T1 (or equivalent) installed? Would be interested to know
    > what alternatives there are, the approximate costs, and where to find out
    > more.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation,
    > Ben

    Unfortunately I'm not going to be in a Telstra-Saturn cable area and it will
    be a home based business but Jetstream Starter will not be sufficient for my
    purposes. What do businesses in the Auckland area do - install ADSL and just
    pay the price? Is there not a more cost-effective, high bandwidth,
    alternative for business use?

    Thanks,
    Ben

    Ben, Oct 19, 2003
  13. Ben

    Jay Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > "Ben" <ben@no_spam_benz1.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT business.
    >> Coming from the UK where I'm used to unlimited traffic on ADSL I'm

    > horrified
    >> by the caps on all but Jetstream Starter national traffic. Are there any
    >> broadband alternatives without caps? What sort of connections do
    >> small/medium sized businesses use? Is it cost effective for high traffic
    >> users to have a T1 (or equivalent) installed? Would be interested to know
    >> what alternatives there are, the approximate costs, and where to find out
    >> more.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation,
    >> Ben
    >>

    > Unfortunately I'm not going to be in a Telstra-Saturn cable area and it
    > will be a home based business but Jetstream Starter will not be sufficient
    > for my purposes. What do businesses in the Auckland area do - install ADSL
    > and just pay the price? Is there not a more cost-effective, high
    > bandwidth, alternative for business use?

    You can get 10GB ADSL for about $888 per month. What's wrong with that?

    In Australia you can get the same (full-speed) for
    about $A150 per month. Not cheap either, but not prohibitively
    expensive like NZ.

    NZ is quite anti-business and anti-competitive.

    If you want to do business then Australia is definitely better.
    The company tax rate is 3% lower, and the tax laws are much clearer
    and less likely to be subject to arbitary tax rulings by the commissioner.
    For example, NZ does not have an explicit capital gains tax so it is often
    not very clear whether a capital gain should be taxed (eg rentals, shares,
    etc). But in Australia it is quite simple - there is a capital gains tax
    but if you hold the asset for over a year the tax reduces to half the
    normal rate. Very clear.

    And the NZ government is still sitting on their hands over broadband.
    They have regularly had various enquiries but are in no hurry to do
    anything presumably for fear of getting it wrong (again).

    It would take the NZ government about one day to make access to the
    local loop available to competitors.
    They have plenty of legislative examples to follow.
    So there is no excuse.

    But maybe they have been way too busy legislating the finer points
    of the fart tax.

    Jay, Oct 19, 2003
  14. Ben

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Jay" wrote
    > But maybe they have been way too busy legislating the finer points
    > of the fart tax.

    They have decided that there is no need for the Fart tax(from what I have
    read at least)

    T.N.O., Oct 19, 2003
  15. Ben

    Matt B Guest

    In news:,
    Jay <> wrote:
    > harry wrote:

    >>> Why don't you move to Australia instead.
    >>> The weather and the ADSL is better here.

    >> They don't like people who have different accents though.

    > How you accuse the "weather" and "ADSL" as not liking people who have
    > dufferent uccents?

    Translation...

    "dufferent uccents" = "deefrent eksens"

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Oct 19, 2003
  16. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:52:20 +0000, Ben wrote:

    > Unfortunately I'm not going to be in a Telstra-Saturn cable area and it will
    > be a home based business but Jetstream Starter will not be sufficient for my
    > purposes.

    New Zealand has (quote) "An extremely hostile telecommunications
    enviroment"

    That quote has come from several companies as they've quit NZ shores
    looking for cheaper places to do business - usually Australia.

    To give you an idea _how_ hostile, it's about 3-5 times as expensive to
    get a circuit from Auckland to anywhere else in the country as it is to
    get it from Los Angeles to Auckland in the first place.

    Even in Auckland, if you use Telecom you can expect to pay more for the
    local delivery part than the international part.

    This is why several toll companies are offering cheaper calls from NZ to
    USA/UK/EU/Austraila/SE asia than calls inside the country.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 19, 2003
  17. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:16:25 +1000, Jay wrote:

    > If you want to do business then Australia is definitely better. The
    > company tax rate is 3% lower, and the tax laws are much clearer and less
    > likely to be subject to arbitary tax rulings by the commissioner.

    Australia also offers a 150% tax rebate on R&D investement - the NZ tax
    structure results in you paying about 20% the other way.

    > And the NZ government is still sitting on their hands over broadband.

    Telecom NZ has been paying off politicians for years, along with
    threatening the NZ stock market should they lose their monopolies - their
    shares account for the lion's share of trading and a big drop in value
    would badly affect the NZSE40, possibly triggering panic selling.

    (NZ investors are still very jittery. There have been 3 effective crashes
    since 1987)

    > They have regularly had various enquiries but are in no hurry to do
    > anything presumably for fear of getting it wrong (again).

    Conferences and studies on telecommunications deregulation hold up NZ as
    the shining example of how to do _everything_ wrong.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 19, 2003
  18. Ben

    bt Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:11:39 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    <ben@no_spam_benz1.com> wrote:

    >I'm shortly moving to NZ and will be setting up a home based IT business.
    >Coming from the UK where I'm used to unlimited traffic on ADSL I'm horrified
    >by the caps on all but Jetstream Starter national traffic. Are there any
    >broadband alternatives without caps? What sort of connections do
    >small/medium sized businesses use? Is it cost effective for high traffic
    >users to have a T1 (or equivalent) installed? Would be interested to know
    >what alternatives there are, the approximate costs, and where to find out
    >more.
    >
    >Thanks in anticipation,

    Telecom is not a company. It is a Racket. Telecom is playing some of
    the nastier games British Telecom was a year or 3 back and using the
    same excuses. F-ing bastards. They don't even allow unmetered adsl
    INside the country.

    If you were going to do many gigabytes/month @adsl speeds, it'd
    actually be cheaper to buy a Hard Drive a month and airmail it back to
    a mate in the UK.

    Some few areas are covered by Telstra's local loop. In these areas a
    better broadband deal can be had. But still not 'unlimited' though
    IIRC.

    If you'd like to grab a f-ing long cable and trail it off behind you
    as you fly over, we'd all appreciate it...

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Oct 19, 2003
  19. In article <>, bt <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:11:39 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    ><ben@no_spam_benz1.com> wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >If you were going to do many gigabytes/month @adsl speeds, it'd
    >actually be cheaper to buy a Hard Drive a month and airmail it back to
    >a mate in the UK.

    *SNIP*

    Yes, but that applies anywhere, not just NZ. "The latency sucks, but
    you can't beat the bandwidth of a 747 full of hard disks"

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Oct 19, 2003
  20. In <bmunrk$d8s$> Matthew Poole wrote:
    > In article <>, bt <bt@
    > memelabs.com.invalid> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:11:39 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    >><ben@no_spam_benz1.com> wrote:

    > *SNIP*
    >>If you were going to do many gigabytes/month @adsl speeds, it'd
    >>actually be cheaper to buy a Hard Drive a month and airmail it back to
    >>a mate in the UK.
    >>

    > *SNIP*
    >
    > Yes, but that applies anywhere, not just NZ. "The latency sucks, but
    > you can't beat the bandwidth of a 747 full of hard disks"

    I've got a signature round here somewhere...ahh! Here it is:

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
    hurtling down the highway."

    Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer_Networks, Second Edition, p. 57

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 20, 2003