Broadband on TelstraClear phone line

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Petrushka, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. Petrushka

    shannon Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Petrushka wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks Jake and Sawney. Some of these options look pretty pricey but
    >> I'll poke through them. Basically it looks like cable (slightly more
    >> expensive), or switch to Telecom for DSL (perhaps more evil).

    > Do you have to take TV to get the cable internet?

    no

    shannon, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Petrushka

    Peter Guest

    Petrushka wrote:

    > Unless ... hang on ... I wonder if Telstra only offer ADSL on Telecom
    > phone lines, like many other ISPs (Orcon, ihug, Slingshot) ... er ...
    > that'd be daft. Daft enough to be probably true, methinks.

    This would be the only case. TelstraClear is unlikely to invest in ADSL
    'heads' for all its cabinets (it is fibre optic to cabinets then copper to
    customers with each cabinet serving a hundred or so customers), when it has
    a parallel cable network capable of delivering wideband.

    Similarly TelstraClear is hardly likely to offer ADSL via Telecom's network
    in areas where it can deliver its own broadband.

    Peter, Jan 29, 2006

  3. Petrushka

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Petrushka wrote:
    >
    >> Unless ... hang on ... I wonder if Telstra only offer ADSL on Telecom
    >> phone lines, like many other ISPs (Orcon, ihug, Slingshot) ... er ...
    >> that'd be daft. Daft enough to be probably true, methinks.
    >>

    > This would be the only case. TelstraClear is unlikely to invest in ADSL
    > 'heads' for all its cabinets (it is fibre optic to cabinets then copper to
    > customers with each cabinet serving a hundred or so customers), when it has
    > a parallel cable network capable of delivering wideband.

    And yet, the Commerce Commission seem to be of the opinion that this is
    competition, and everything is going to be tickety-boo.

    > Similarly TelstraClear is hardly likely to offer ADSL via Telecom's network
    > in areas where it can deliver its own broadband.

    True, but at the same time, because they are tied into what Telecom will
    allow them to offer via the Telecom network, TC probably won't offer a
    significantly better service on their own network.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Petrushka

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Peter wrote:
    > > Petrushka wrote:
    > >
    > >> Unless ... hang on ... I wonder if Telstra only offer ADSL on Telecom
    > >> phone lines, like many other ISPs (Orcon, ihug, Slingshot) ... er ...
    > >> that'd be daft. Daft enough to be probably true, methinks.
    > >>

    > > This would be the only case. TelstraClear is unlikely to invest in ADSL
    > > 'heads' for all its cabinets (it is fibre optic to cabinets then copper to
    > > customers with each cabinet serving a hundred or so customers), when it has
    > > a parallel cable network capable of delivering wideband.

    > And yet, the Commerce Commission seem to be of the opinion that this is
    > competition, and everything is going to be tickety-boo.
    >

    > > Similarly TelstraClear is hardly likely to offer ADSL via Telecom's network
    > > in areas where it can deliver its own broadband.
    > >

    > True, but at the same time, because they are tied into what Telecom will
    > allow them to offer via the Telecom network, TC probably won't offer a
    > significantly better service on their own network.

    They offer 2Mbps upload which is far better than Telecom's 128kbps.

    Rob J, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Petrushka

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:14:11 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    >> True, but at the same time, because they are tied into what Telecom will
    >> allow them to offer via the Telecom network, TC probably won't offer a
    >> significantly better service on their own network.

    > They offer 2Mbps upload which is far better than Telecom's 128kbps.

    ....not in the Chch CBD they don't. And we're on one of the new dslams, too.

    Steve, Jan 30, 2006
  6. On , , 28 Jan 2006 01:18:27 -0800, Re: Broadband on TelstraClear
    phone line, "alastair.geek.nz" <> wrote:

    >-=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> alastair.geek.nz wrote:

    >> > The UMTS technology that Woosh are using has the potential to go much,
    >> > much faster than Woosh's current speeds, and they will probably be
    >> > offering higher speeds by the time Wimax becomes widely available.
    >> > Longer term, I believe that Wimax will probably marginalise Woosh's
    >> > technology, but it won't be a threat in the forseeable future.

    >> Is speed the issue here, though? At the moment, it seems almost as if
    >> everyone is taking their cue from Telecom, and only offer something
    >> comparable.
    >> I would have expected that WiMax might lower the cost of entry for
    >> competing wireless ISPs, which is where I see the threat to Woosh -
    >> which I would think was pretty shaky already, from a business
    >> perspective.

    >Fair comment. On forums like this, people tend to put a lot of emphasis
    >on speed, but we tend to forget that it's not really an issue for most
    >home Internet users.

    I agree, I am happy on dial up, all I really require is to pick
    up mail and newsgroups and a bit of surfing, I'd like the surfing
    to be a bit faster but I don't want to pay double or triple the
    dial up price for that. I have no interest in playing games or
    downloading stolen music or video so I don't think it is worth
    going to "broadband".

    Running with scissors, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Petrushka

    Peter Guest

    Running with scissors wrote:

    > I agree, I am happy on dial up, all I really require is to pick
    > up mail and newsgroups and a bit of surfing,

    Trouble is when an unthinking user throws a multi megabyte attachment at
    you. The only answer seems to be to stop the download, get into webmail
    for the provider and delete the message there (webmail systems do not
    generally download attachments unless you ask for them).

    Peter, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Petrushka

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:14:11 +1300, Rob J wrote:
    >> They offer 2Mbps upload which is far better than Telecom's 128kbps.

    >...not in the Chch CBD they don't. And we're on one of the new dslams, too.

    DSLAM = ADSL connection. Rob was talking about cable modem connection.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Feb 2, 2006