    another year or so.

    BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

    P.
    Petrushka, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Petrushka

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
    > a TelstraClear phone line?
    >
    > And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    > mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >
    > It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    > some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    > another year or so.
    >
    > BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
    >
    > P.

    you can get xtra broadband, without tolls
    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006

  3. Petrushka

    Petrushka Guest

    Krazy Bob wrote:
    > "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    >> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
    >> a TelstraClear phone line?
    >>
    >> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    >> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >>
    >> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    >> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    >> another year or so.
    >>
    >> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
    >>
    >> P.

    > you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

    That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
    this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who
    have a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with
    Telecom", and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.

    It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
    people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom -
    but I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I
    don't.) Please correct me if I'm wrong!

    Cheers
    Petrushka, Jan 27, 2006
  4. Petrushka

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    >> "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    >>> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    >>> to a TelstraClear phone line?
    >>>
    >>> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    >>> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >>>
    >>> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    >>> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    >>> another year or so.
    >>>
    >>> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
    >>>
    >>> P.

    >> you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

    > That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
    > this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who have
    > a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with Telecom",
    > and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.
    >
    > It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
    > people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom - but
    > I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I don't.)
    > Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    >
    > Cheers

    Sorry i stand corrected, its $10 more if you don't have your tolls with xtra
    but have a telecom phone line. But since you don't you don't qualify for
    this.

    cheers
    Krazy Bob, Jan 27, 2006
  5. Petrushka

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>, Petrushka <> wrote:

    > Krazy Bob wrote:
    > > "Petrushka" <> wrote in message
    > >> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
    > >> a TelstraClear phone line?
    > >>
    > >> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    > >> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    > >>
    > >> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    > >> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    > >> another year or so.
    > >>
    > >> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
    > >>
    > >> P.

    > > you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

    > That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
    > this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who
    > have a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with
    > Telecom", and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.
    >
    > It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
    > people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom -
    > but I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I
    > don't.) Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    >
    > Cheers

    I had my phone line with Telstra and broadband with Paradise until
    recently. I wanted to move away from Paradise (it took 6 weeks for them
    to resolve an issue for me and their support system "closed" my job
    every 24 hours....their response? It made the stats to their managers
    look good...oh, and their email disaster too) and had no option but to
    take my line rental back to Telecom, which I wasn't happy about.

    So no, I don't believe you can do it...have Telstra and any ISP other
    than Clear/Paradise.

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com
    Philip Roy, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Petrushka wrote:

    > Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    > to a TelstraClear phone line?

    <snip>
    > BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

    Have you checked to see if you can get Gasp (www.gasp.co.nz)? Depending
    on exactly whereabouts you are in Ngaio, you might just fall within
    their coverage. The rest of your neck of the woods looks like it will
    be covered 'soon'.
    alastair.geek.nz, Jan 28, 2006
  7. Petrushka

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Petrushka wrote:
    > Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    > to a TelstraClear phone line?
    >
    > And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    > mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >
    > It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    > some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    > another year or so.
    >
    > BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

    No, but NZWireless/Gasp http://nzwireless.co.nz http://gasp.co.nz are
    might be available in that area (depending on where you are you may
    already have coverage), or may be coming soon.

    http://www.gasp.co.nz/Site/Where/Wellington.aspx
    -=rjh=-, Jan 28, 2006
  8. Petrushka

    Petrushka Guest

    Philip Roy wrote:
    > In article <>, Petrushka <> wrote:
    >
    >> Krazy Bob wrote:
    >>> "Petrushka" <> wrote in message

    >>> you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

    >> That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
    >> this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who
    >> have a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with
    >> Telecom", and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.
    >>
    >> It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
    >> people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom -
    >> but I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I
    >> don't.) Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > I had my phone line with Telstra and broadband with Paradise until
    > recently. I wanted to move away from Paradise (it took 6 weeks for them
    > to resolve an issue for me and their support system "closed" my job
    > every 24 hours....their response? It made the stats to their managers
    > look good...oh, and their email disaster too) and had no option but to
    > take my line rental back to Telecom, which I wasn't happy about.
    >
    > So no, I don't believe you can do it...have Telstra and any ISP other
    > than Clear/Paradise.
    >
    > Phil

    Interesting. Thanks for that, and also to alastair.geek.nz. Not sure if
    Gasp is right for me, but it's certainly worth knowing about -- the more
    forms of access that are available the better, after all. I'll check it out
    anyway, though it looks like I'm _exactly_ on the edge of their coverage ...

    cheers
    P.
    Petrushka, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Petrushka

    DB Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Petrushka wrote:
    >> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
    >> a TelstraClear phone line?
    >>
    >> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    >> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >>
    >> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    >> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    >> another year or so.
    >>
    >> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

    > No, but NZWireless/Gasp http://nzwireless.co.nz http://gasp.co.nz are
    > might be available in that area (depending on where you are you may
    > already have coverage), or may be coming soon.
    >
    > http://www.gasp.co.nz/Site/Where/Wellington.aspx

    They call 256Kbps fast? They are as bad as telecom.
    DB, Jan 28, 2006
  10. Petrushka

    Peter Guest

    Petrushka wrote:

    > Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    > to a TelstraClear phone line?

    What sort of phone line? TelstraClear's Saturn phone lines in Wellington do
    not have DSL 'heads' AFAIK as TelstraClear delivers broadband via the
    associated cable TV network and AFAIK this is with Paradise only. This
    would be on the basis that there is competition available from Telecom.
    Peter, Jan 28, 2006
  11. Petrushka

    Nho Whei Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:17:27 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Petrushka wrote:
    >> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    >> to a TelstraClear phone line?
    >>
    >> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    >> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >>
    >> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    >> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    >> another year or so.
    >>
    >> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

    >No, but NZWireless/Gasp http://nzwireless.co.nz http://gasp.co.nz are
    >might be available in that area (depending on where you are you may
    >already have coverage), or may be coming soon.
    >
    >http://www.gasp.co.nz/Site/Where/Wellington.aspx

    I heard that they were about to have a play with WiMax?
    Nho Whei, Jan 28, 2006
  12. Petrushka

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Nho Whei wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:17:27 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >
    >> Petrushka wrote:
    >>> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    >>> to a TelstraClear phone line?
    >>>
    >>> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    >>> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >>>
    >>> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    >>> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    >>> another year or so.
    >>>
    >>> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

    >> No, but NZWireless/Gasp http://nzwireless.co.nz http://gasp.co.nz are
    >> might be available in that area (depending on where you are you may
    >> already have coverage), or may be coming soon.
    >>
    >> http://www.gasp.co.nz/Site/Where/Wellington.aspx

    > I heard that they were about to have a play with WiMax?

    I'd be very surprised if they didn't; the question is, when?

    WiMax will probably finish Woosh off unless they also switch customers
    over to it.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 28, 2006
  13. Petrushka

    Jake Collins Guest

    http://www.globe.net.nz/products/broadband/#cable

    --
    Jake Collins
    http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/

    Jake Collins, Jan 28, 2006
  14. Petrushka

    Sawney Bean Guest

    In article <>, Petrushka <> wrote:

    > Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    > to a TelstraClear phone line?
    >
    > And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    > mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >
    > It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    > some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    > another year or so.
    >
    > BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
    >
    > P.

    Actrix, Globe, Xtreme, Linuxnet.

    Look at http://www.xtreme.net.nz/
    --
    Sawney Bean & family
    Sawney Bean, Jan 28, 2006
  15. -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Nho Whei wrote:

    > > I heard that they were about to have a play with WiMax?

    > I'd be very surprised if they didn't; the question is, when?
    > WiMax will probably finish Woosh off unless they also switch customers
    > over to it.

    The UMTS technology that Woosh are using has the potential to go much,
    much faster than Woosh's current speeds, and they will probably be
    offering higher speeds by the time Wimax becomes widely available.
    Longer term, I believe that Wimax will probably marginalise Woosh's
    technology, but it won't be a threat in the forseeable future.

    One thing I have been wondering about WiMax is whether it requires an
    outdoor antenna. To me, the biggest advantage of Woosh is that it
    doesn't require any fittings to be installed in the house. No telephone
    jacks, no cables, no aerials. It's ideal when you're living in rented
    accomodation.
    alastair.geek.nz, Jan 28, 2006
  16. Petrushka

    -=rjh=- Guest

    alastair.geek.nz wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Nho Whei wrote:

    >>> I heard that they were about to have a play with WiMax?

    >> I'd be very surprised if they didn't; the question is, when?
    >> WiMax will probably finish Woosh off unless they also switch customers
    >> over to it.

    > The UMTS technology that Woosh are using has the potential to go much,
    > much faster than Woosh's current speeds, and they will probably be
    > offering higher speeds by the time Wimax becomes widely available.
    > Longer term, I believe that Wimax will probably marginalise Woosh's
    > technology, but it won't be a threat in the forseeable future.

    Is speed the issue here, though? At the moment, it seems almost as if
    everyone is taking their cue from Telecom, and only offer something
    comparable.

    I would have expected that WiMax might lower the cost of entry for
    competing wireless ISPs, which is where I see the threat to Woosh -
    which I would think was pretty shaky already, from a business
    perspective. Last year probably wasn't a good year for them.

    > One thing I have been wondering about WiMax is whether it requires an
    > outdoor antenna. To me, the biggest advantage of Woosh is that it
    > doesn't require any fittings to be installed in the house. No telephone
    > jacks, no cables, no aerials. It's ideal when you're living in rented
    > accomodation.

    I've used Woosh, and it is ideal for demos and meetings (if you have
    coverage, that is) as you are independent of phone lines and networking etc.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 28, 2006
  17. -=rjh=- wrote:

    > alastair.geek.nz wrote:

    > > The UMTS technology that Woosh are using has the potential to go much,
    > > much faster than Woosh's current speeds, and they will probably be
    > > offering higher speeds by the time Wimax becomes widely available.
    > > Longer term, I believe that Wimax will probably marginalise Woosh's
    > > technology, but it won't be a threat in the forseeable future.

    > Is speed the issue here, though? At the moment, it seems almost as if
    > everyone is taking their cue from Telecom, and only offer something
    > comparable.
    > I would have expected that WiMax might lower the cost of entry for
    > competing wireless ISPs, which is where I see the threat to Woosh -
    > which I would think was pretty shaky already, from a business
    > perspective.

    Fair comment. On forums like this, people tend to put a lot of emphasis
    on speed, but we tend to forget that it's not really an issue for most
    home Internet users. My Woosh connection is 500kbps, and I honestly
    don't feel as if the lack of speed restricts my Internet experience at
    all.

    > Last year probably wasn't a good year for them.

    Maybe, but you have to bear in mind that the investors would always
    have expected that it would take a while for the business to become
    profitable. Many successful business run consecutive losses for years
    before they manage to turn a healthy profit.
    alastair.geek.nz, Jan 28, 2006
  18. Petrushka

    Petrushka Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Petrushka wrote:
    >
    >> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    >> to a TelstraClear phone line?
    >>

    > What sort of phone line? TelstraClear's Saturn phone lines in Wellington do
    > not have DSL 'heads' AFAIK as TelstraClear delivers broadband via the
    > associated cable TV network and AFAIK this is with Paradise only. This
    > would be on the basis that there is competition available from Telecom.

    They do either ADSL or cable. It looks like it's Telstra that offers
    ADSL, or Paradise and Clear that offer cable (Wgtn/Chch only). Prices
    are similar. The relevant pages are
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeedADSL and
    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed.

    Unless ... hang on ... I wonder if Telstra only offer ADSL on Telecom
    phone lines, like many other ISPs (Orcon, ihug, Slingshot) ... er ...
    that'd be daft. Daft enough to be probably true, methinks.

    Thanks
    P.
    Petrushka, Jan 28, 2006
  19. Petrushka

    Petrushka Guest

    Sawney Bean wrote:
    > In article <>, Petrushka <> wrote:
    >
    >> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
    >> to a TelstraClear phone line?
    >>
    >> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
    >> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
    >>
    >> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
    >> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
    >> another year or so.
    >>
    >> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
    >>
    >> P.

    > Actrix, Globe, Xtreme, Linuxnet.
    >
    > Look at http://www.xtreme.net.nz/

    Thanks Jake and Sawney. Some of these options look pretty pricey but
    I'll poke through them. Basically it looks like cable (slightly more
    expensive), or switch to Telecom for DSL (perhaps more evil).

    Cheers,
    P.
    Petrushka, Jan 28, 2006
  20. Petrushka

    Richard Guest

    Petrushka wrote:

    > Thanks Jake and Sawney. Some of these options look pretty pricey but
    > I'll poke through them. Basically it looks like cable (slightly more
    > expensive), or switch to Telecom for DSL (perhaps more evil).

    Do you have to take TV to get the cable internet?
    Richard, Jan 28, 2006