    Can you imagine how much a pole lease from Feilding to HunterVill.

    Who could I write to @ railways ? to per mote this venture?

    Brett (feilding)

    Brett, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Brett

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Brett <> wrote:

    You are *so* behind the times. Fibre was laid along the Main Trunk years
    ago, and probably other routes. Guess who owns it?

    A quick Google search turned this up, and there are no doubt other hits.
    http://www.med.govt.nz/pbt/telecom/tip5/nztsid07.html

    It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
    are governed by people who are not as smart.

    Don Hills, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Backbone bandwidth isn't the problem - it's the last mile that's the
    problem..

    Suddenly, Brett sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Brett

    Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:24:07 +1300, Brett wrote:

    > I have been looking at the poles outside over the railway line.
    > The one's the electric trains move along. Gosh, I think. What,
    > potential. I know clear/telstra own's the pile that there fiber sits in,
    > so there local loop is like telecoms. So I think these poles.
    >
    > Could they decorated cheaply like the wellington trolley bus root?
    >
    > What equipment should my open source run on the rail poles.
    > I saw some nice cable layered out over japan.
    >
    > Can you imagine how much a pole lease from Feilding to HunterVill.
    >
    > Who could I write to @ railways ? to per mote this venture?
    >
    > Brett (feilding)

    Firstly, you should learn the difference between "there" and "their".

    There = a place. Think of t-here.
    Their = ownership. Think of t-heir.

    Secondly, what do you mean by "per mote"?

    And thirdly, since when do trolley buses have roots? They are machines not
    plants!

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000
    Service Pack 2."

    , Oct 23, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 23, 2004
  6. wrote:
    > Firstly, you should learn the difference between "there" and "their".
    > There = a place. Think of t-here.
    > Their = ownership. Think of t-heir.
    > Secondly, what do you mean by "per mote"?
    > And thirdly, since when do trolley buses have roots? They are machines not
    > plants!

    spelling/grammar nazi :p

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 23, 2004
  7. Brett

    nick Guest

    > Don Hills wrote:
    >> You are *so* behind the times. Fibre was laid along the Main Trunk years
    >> ago, and probably other routes. Guess who owns it?

    >> A quick Google search turned this up, and there are no doubt other hits.
    >> http://www.med.govt.nz/pbt/telecom/tip5/nztsid07.html

    > Clear also run fibre down the main trunk.

    Clear was originally set up to offer cheap toll rates over TVNZ and Railways
    links.

    nick, Oct 23, 2004
  8. It seems like Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:43:57 +1300 was when
    "" <> said Blah blah
    blah...

    >> potential. I know clear/telstra own's the pile that there fiber sits in,

    <snip>
    >Firstly, you should learn the difference between "there" and "their".

    Oh really, who in here isn't intelligent enough to know what the
    original poster really meant? There or their, I think in an informal
    forum such as this, such spelling and grammar mistakes often picked
    upon in here don't help the conversation, and may stop people with a
    poor grasp of the English language from ever voicing their opinions.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 23, 2004
  9. Brett

    Gordon Guest

    Language lives (was Broadband next to the main trunk line.)

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:43:57 +1300, wrote:

    > Firstly, you should learn the difference between "there" and "their".
    >
    > There = a place. Think of t-here.
    > Their = ownership. Think of t-heir.

    Oh Divine, people have been using the one spelling of there and their so
    often in this ng that I figure that we will soon have the one spelling for
    two meanings.

    We have at present refuse and refuse. See?

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2004
  10. Brett

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:54:19 +1300, wrote:

    > Schools have so failed to teach students good language skills, that
    > tertiary institutions now employ remedial reading tutors for the students
    > that have recently left High School! I personally know one such tutor.

    Adverb after the verb. I know personally one such tutor.

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2004
  11. Brett

    Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:22:26 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > such spelling and grammar mistakes often picked
    > upon in here don't help the conversation, and may stop people with a
    > poor grasp of the English language from ever voicing their opinions.

    I recently instructed my own "General Manager" (that's not actually her
    title but she, incompetant as she is, replaced our general manager) on how
    to write simple notices in English.

    She wrote a sign that started with the expression "Please be advice". I
    suggested that she should have written "Note" instead.

    In the end I completely rewrote the sign.

    Persons with poor language skills should not attempt to express themselves
    in public - or else should be prepared to face the possibility of
    justified ridicule for the use of sub-standard language.

    Schools have so failed to teach students good language skills, that
    tertiary institutions now employ remedial reading tutors for the students
    that have recently left High School! I personally know one such tutor.

    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.

    , Oct 24, 2004
  12. It seems like Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:54:19 +1300 was when
    "" <> said Blah blah
    blah...

    >Persons with poor language skills should not attempt to express themselves
    >in public - or else should be prepared to face the possibility of
    >justified ridicule for the use of sub-standard language.

    While in business communication I do agree with you, when it comes to
    an informal place such as this, I still think content is king over
    formatting. After all, in 500 years, our style of English will change
    yet again, and who knows if anyone around will still be able to
    understand us:)

    >Schools have so failed to teach students good language skills, that
    >tertiary institutions now employ remedial reading tutors for the students
    >that have recently left High School! I personally know one such tutor.

    However, this is interesting. Some qualifications have no English
    requirements, while degrees for the most part require at least a C
    pass in Bursary English or it's equivalent. To get a pass in Bursary
    English (I wont comment about NCEA, because I haven't done it), you
    needed to be fairly familiar with the English language, else you'd be
    flopping around 6th Form English.

    So English being taught in schools is a problem, my question to you
    is, how should we fix it, and why isn't this solution you propose
    happening in schools?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 24, 2004
  13. Brett

    Italian Jobs Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:22:26 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> such spelling and grammar mistakes often picked
    >> upon in here don't help the conversation, and may stop people with a
    >> poor grasp of the English language from ever voicing their opinions.

    >I recently instructed my own "General Manager" (that's not actually her
    >title but she, incompetant as she is, replaced our general manager) on how
    >to write simple notices in English.
    >
    >She wrote a sign that started with the expression "Please be advice". I
    >suggested that she should have written "Note" instead.
    >
    >In the end I completely rewrote the sign.
    >
    >Persons with poor language skills should not attempt to express themselves
    >in public - or else should be prepared to face the possibility of
    >justified ridicule for the use of sub-standard language.
    >
    >Schools have so failed to teach students good language skills, that
    >tertiary institutions now employ remedial reading tutors for the students
    >that have recently left High School! I personally know one such tutor.
    >

    >Divine

    When commenting on others' spelling or grammar it is considered good
    form to use a spell checker. Otherwise you run the risk of looking
    incompetant (sic).

    Italian Jobs, Oct 24, 2004
  14. Brett

    nick Guest

    <Italian Jobs> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:54:19 +1300, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 11:22:26 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>
    >>> such spelling and grammar mistakes often picked
    >>> upon in here don't help the conversation, and may stop people with a
    >>> poor grasp of the English language from ever voicing their opinions.

    >>I recently instructed my own "General Manager" (that's not actually her
    >>title but she, incompetant as she is, replaced our general manager) on how
    >>to write simple notices in English.

    snip
    >>Divine

    > When commenting on others' spelling or grammar it is considered good
    > form to use a spell checker. Otherwise you run the risk of looking
    > incompetant (sic).

    <snigger>
    The blind leading the blind, by the look of his last sentence.

    nick, Oct 24, 2004
  15. Brett

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    nick wrote:
    > <Italian Jobs> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:54:19 +1300, ""
    >><> wrote:

    >>>I recently instructed my own "General Manager" (that's not actually her
    >>>title but she, incompetant as she is, replaced our general manager) on how
    >>>to write simple notices in English.
    >>>

    > snip
    >
    >>>Divine

    >>When commenting on others' spelling or grammar it is considered good
    >>form to use a spell checker. Otherwise you run the risk of looking
    >>incompetant (sic).

    > <snigger>
    > The blind leading the blind, by the look of his last sentence.

    Did you not see the "(sic)" ? :)

    And in case your going to point out that my posts often contain spelling
    errors, I can tell you now, that I often don't bother to check the
    spelling because, I just can't be bothered. Besides, content is king,
    and my time is of some value to me. Of course, if I was writing a
    report, I would want it to be perfect, including the grammar. Now,
    getting back to the OP, I would hope they did bother to spell check
    their letter to who ever @ the railways. But, at the end of the day,
    there are ways, and then there are ways to point that out to people, if
    in fact it is even necessary in the first place.

    Chris Mayhew, Oct 24, 2004
  16. Brett

    nick Guest

    "Chris Mayhew" <no^^^@no.net> wrote in message
    > nick wrote:
    >> <Italian Jobs> wrote in message

    >> snip

    >>>When commenting on others' spelling or grammar it is considered good
    >>>form to use a spell checker. Otherwise you run the risk of looking
    >>>incompetant (sic).

    >> <snigger>
    >> The blind leading the blind, by the look of his last sentence.

    > Did you not see the "(sic)" ? :)

    Yep, I was referring to Divine's convoluted

    If that is an example, he should get her to read them back aloud, just to
    see if anyone else would be able to understand.

    nick, Oct 24, 2004
  17. It seems like Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:33:03 +1300 was when Chris Mayhew
    <no^^^@no.net> said Blah blah blah...

    >And in case your going to point out that my posts often contain spelling
    >errors, I can tell you now, that I often don't bother to check the
    >spelling because, I just can't be bothered.

    Agent has a nice feature that automatically checks your spelling
    before posting a message or sending an email. Very useful indeed.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 24, 2004
  18. Brett

    Guest

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:53:28 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    >> Schools have so failed to teach students good language skills, that
    >> tertiary institutions now employ remedial reading tutors for the students
    >> that have recently left High School! I personally know one such tutor.

    > Adverb after the verb. I know personally one such tutor.

    LOL - next minute you'll be suggesting that people should say "the apple
    green" instead of "the green apple"!

    Adverbs indicate how something is done - it hardly matters (with some
    specific types of exceptions) where in a sentence it goes, so long as it
    is obvious which verb or participle it be associated with.

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000
    Service Pack 2."

    , Oct 24, 2004
  19. Brett

    nick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:53:28 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>> Schools have so failed to teach students good language skills, that
    >>> tertiary institutions now employ remedial reading tutors for the
    >>> students
    >>> that have recently left High School! I personally know one such tutor.

    >> Adverb after the verb. I know personally one such tutor.

    > LOL - next minute you'll be suggesting that people should say "the apple
    > green" instead of "the green apple"!

    apple is not a verb

    (Neither is pork, according to Bart Simpsons blackboard lines) :)

    nick, Oct 24, 2004
  20. wrote:
    >>>Schools have so failed to teach students good language skills, that
    >>>tertiary institutions now employ remedial reading tutors for the students
    >>>that have recently left High School! I personally know one such tutor.

    >>Adverb after the verb. I know personally one such tutor.

    > LOL - next minute you'll be suggesting that people should say "the apple
    > green" instead of "the green apple"!

    > Adverbs indicate how something is done - it hardly matters (with some
    > specific types of exceptions) where in a sentence it goes, so long as it
    > is obvious which verb or participle it be associated with.

    language evolves... build a bridge, get over it.

    *aside*: has anyone read anything on the studies into why the chch area
    on NZ seems to be getting an Aussie accent? or how "txting" is
    a/effecting(#) the english language?

    # - I've never been able to figure out which letter goes before "ffect"

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 24, 2004