    too - can't seem to find them online, and I'm not paying Dick Smith
    something like $100 each (or whatever outrageous price they want for them!)

    Thanks
    Alan Parker, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Alan Parker

    EMB Guest

    Alan Parker wrote:
    > I've got Paradise dialup and a paradise email address I don't want to
    > change, and I was looking at their broadband.Does $38 inc GIST sound about
    > right? I'm new to this whole broadband thing, and although I saw an ad on tv
    > for a free modem, that would mean losing my email address.
    >
    > Paradise are telling me that an internal adsl modem is about $90 - seems a
    > bit much. I've found a Nokia internal one (Nokia Ni200) for $66 - is this
    > one any good? Is there a better option or a cheaper one? I don't mind doing
    > unbranded mail order, as long as it works. Oh, and a cheap pack of filters
    > too - can't seem to find them online, and I'm not paying Dick Smith
    > something like $100 each (or whatever outrageous price they want for them!)

    Nokia NI200's are crippled - stay well clear. Get an external ethernet
    router. The Dick Smith ones work well (and the filters are about $19
    from them).

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Alan Parker

    Paul Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:34:40 +1300, "Alan Parker" <>
    wrote:

    >I've got Paradise dialup and a paradise email address I don't want to
    >change, and I was looking at their broadband.Does $38 inc GIST sound about
    >right? I'm new to this whole broadband thing, and although I saw an ad on tv
    >for a free modem, that would mean losing my email address.
    >
    >Paradise are telling me that an internal adsl modem is about $90 - seems a
    >bit much. I've found a Nokia internal one (Nokia Ni200) for $66 - is this
    >one any good? Is there a better option or a cheaper one? I don't mind doing
    >unbranded mail order, as long as it works. Oh, and a cheap pack of filters
    >too - can't seem to find them online, and I'm not paying Dick Smith
    >something like $100 each (or whatever outrageous price they want for them!)
    >
    >Thanks

    Xtra's free adsl modem is some average D-Link thing that comes with NO
    manual and a CD that's intended specifically for installing Xtra.

    I've owned a Nokia adsl modem and agree on it's shyte-ness.

    If u go internal, make sure you've got a decent firewall.

    I've purchased Dynalink filters for $10 somewhere.

    Paradise ADSL at $38 is a price for their resale of the bitstream and
    they can't sign you up for another 2 weeks. I dialed 0150 like on the
    TV ad and found that out.

    TCNZ have got to harvest people before everyone else can offer the
    UBS.

    Rumour: I heard they have to get 200,000 ADSL customers by March 2005
    before the 2Mbit is included in the UBS.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Alan Parker

    Mark Guest

    Hi, just one thing about these "TV Specials", be aware that some ISPs want
    to lock you into a twelve month contract in order to take advantage of their
    "specials".

    Regards
    Mark
    -**-
    www.myoddjobs.co.nz :- Job auction website
    -**-
    Replace the Z with the e to reply

    Mark, Nov 2, 2004
  5. Alan Parker

    Alan Parker Guest

    Paul wrote:

    > I've owned a Nokia adsl modem and agree on it's shyte-ness.

    I'd be interested to know in what way it is "crippled" and "shite".
    I mean anything has to be better than what we have - a line so poor
    (apparently only 2 of the 4 wires are there) that although we sometimes
    connect at 30k, I've never got more than 3k/sec on a plain text file,
    and that's with modem compression. As for sending emails, it can take
    10-15 minuts to send a 200k email, we've had to fiddle with server
    timeouts and all sorts. Looking at the log, the modem sometimes
    renegotiates 3-4 times a minute. Now if anyone has some init strings for
    a PC-Tel HSP56 MR modem to say "connect at this speed and stay there"
    I'd be grateful, as I've tried a few so far and no better.

    > If u go internal, make sure you've got a decent firewall.

    XPSP2, internal firewall never let me down so far! Log analysis for a
    month's log showed that it's dropping everything it should.

    > I've purchased Dynalink filters for $10 somewhere.
    >
    > Paradise ADSL at $38 is a price for their resale of the bitstream and
    > they can't sign you up for another 2 weeks. I dialed 0150 like on the
    > TV ad and found that out.

    Yeah, I should have signed up when I spoke to the first person! She told
    me it was $38.95 yesterday afternoon, when I rang back, they insisted it
    was $49! I redialled several times, but never got the original woman
    back. So is this wholesale thing with Paradise going to happen in a
    couple of weeks too?
    Alan Parker, Nov 2, 2004
  6. Alan Parker

    tatties Guest

    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >> I've owned a Nokia adsl modem and agree on it's shyte-ness.

    > I'd be interested to know in what way it is "crippled" and "shite".
    > I mean anything has to be better than what we have - a line so poor
    > (apparently only 2 of the 4 wires are there)

    There are only two wires on a good line
    tatties, Nov 2, 2004
  7. tatties said the following on 3/11/2004 10:25:
    > "Alan Parker" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Paul wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've owned a Nokia adsl modem and agree on it's shyte-ness.

    >>I'd be interested to know in what way it is "crippled" and "shite".
    >>I mean anything has to be better than what we have - a line so poor
    >>(apparently only 2 of the 4 wires are there)

    > There are only two wires on a good line

    The shite level of a nokia depends on the model the NI 200 internal wa
    shit the M1122 was good.

    Your line is probably the same as mine poor quality copper with lots of
    noisy joins etc between you and the exchange.
    Only two wires are used, but normally there is a spare pair in the house
    feed so it could be used if the first pair failed.

    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    A lie can travel halfway around the world
    while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain
    Collector»NZ, Nov 2, 2004
  8. EMB wrote:
    >> XPSP2, internal firewall never let me down so far! Log analysis for a
    >> month's log showed that it's dropping everything it should.

    > Going for an externale ethernet ADSL router has 2 good bonuses. Firstly
    > it's really easy to share the connection between PC's if you want to
    > (either now or in future). And secondly the NAT done by the router
    > means anyone trying to hack into your machine won't get past the router
    > - they could conceivably fsck up the settings in the router but that's
    > pretty much all the damage they will do.

    in theory at least, if they can get "into the router" they can probably
    set up some little port forwards and get there way right through your
    home network, but ummm, yeah, a lot of theory in there.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
  9. Alan Parker

    EMB Guest

    Alan Parker wrote:

    > I'd be interested to know in what way it is "crippled" and "shite".

    Not supporting all the pinholing/port forwarding requirements that some
    applications may require.

    EMB, Nov 2, 2004
  10. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
    10:51:40 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...
    > tatties said the following on 3/11/2004 10:25:
    > > "Alan Parker" <> wrote in message

    > >>I'd be interested to know in what way it is "crippled" and "shite".
    > >>I mean anything has to be better than what we have - a line so poor
    > >>(apparently only 2 of the 4 wires are there)

    > > There are only two wires on a good line
    > >

    > The shite level of a nokia depends on the model the NI 200 internal wa
    > shit the M1122 was good.
    >
    > Your line is probably the same as mine poor quality copper with lots of
    > noisy joins etc between you and the exchange.
    > Only two wires are used, but normally there is a spare pair in the house
    > feed so it could be used if the first pair failed.

    Is this on ADSL especially? Telecom's standard for wiring houses is only
    2 lines into the house. There may be four lines within the house.

    The only time I've seen four lines into a house was one that was wired
    from new for 2 lines in.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 3, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford said the following on 3/11/2004 13:45:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
    > 10:51:40 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...
    >
    >>tatties said the following on 3/11/2004 10:25:
    >>
    >>>"Alan Parker" <> wrote in message

    >>>There are only two wires on a good line
    >>>

    >>The shite level of a nokia depends on the model the NI 200 internal wa
    >>shit the M1122 was good.
    >>
    >>Your line is probably the same as mine poor quality copper with lots of
    >>noisy joins etc between you and the exchange.
    >>Only two wires are used, but normally there is a spare pair in the house
    >>feed so it could be used if the first pair failed.

    > Is this on ADSL especially? Telecom's standard for wiring houses is only
    > 2 lines into the house. There may be four lines within the house.
    >
    > The only time I've seen four lines into a house was one that was wired
    > from new for 2 lines in.

    The old wiring std used to be A nd B Lines and Bell, three wire. The
    current std is two wire per line so yes if there are two lines 4 wires
    (or two pair more exactly)

    A spare pair sort of comes by default in most house services
    (underground) as they use two pair cable by default.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 3, 2004
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
    16:51:34 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford said the following on 3/11/2004 13:45:
    > > In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
    > > 10:51:40 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...

    > >>The shite level of a nokia depends on the model the NI 200 internal wa
    > >>shit the M1122 was good.
    > >>
    > >>Your line is probably the same as mine poor quality copper with lots of
    > >>noisy joins etc between you and the exchange.
    > >>Only two wires are used, but normally there is a spare pair in the house
    > >>feed so it could be used if the first pair failed.

    > > Is this on ADSL especially? Telecom's standard for wiring houses is only
    > > 2 lines into the house. There may be four lines within the house.
    > >
    > > The only time I've seen four lines into a house was one that was wired
    > > from new for 2 lines in.

    > The old wiring std used to be A nd B Lines and Bell, three wire. The
    > current std is two wire per line so yes if there are two lines 4 wires
    > (or two pair more exactly)

    No. There are 2 lines coming into your house and have always been.

    In the old 3 wire system the two lines were converted to three INSIDE
    your house at the master socket.

    In the current 2 wire system the two lines are effectively converted into
    three at every phone jack.

    * Most wiring INSIDE houses has been with 4 wire cable, formerly using
    three wires between sockets. Nowadays only 2 wires are needed between
    sockets and this allows a 2nd line to be wired in without needing to add
    extra cabling.

    * There are only TWO wires from the telephone exchange to your house. In
    most installations that I have seen only a two wire cable is used from
    the street to your house.

    In the case of multi unit apartments etc they sometimes lay a multi wire
    cable up to a cable junction on the property that has spare circuits in
    it. Another example would be my parent's small cul de sac which has a 50
    pair cable laid underground, never going to be anything like 50
    connections but it must be the standard practice when laying cables into
    streets.

    > A spare pair sort of comes by default in most house services
    > (underground) as they use two pair cable by default.

    This may well be the practice for underground these days. Only 2 are
    actually needed for the connection.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 3, 2004
  13. Patrick Dunford said the following on 3/11/2004 17:29:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
    > 16:51:34 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford said the following on 3/11/2004 13:45:
    >>
    >>>In article <> in nz.comp on Wed, 03 Nov 2004
    >>>10:51:40 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...

    >>>Is this on ADSL especially? Telecom's standard for wiring houses is only
    >>>2 lines into the house. There may be four lines within the house.
    >>>
    >>>The only time I've seen four lines into a house was one that was wired
    >>>from new for 2 lines in.

    >>The old wiring std used to be A nd B Lines and Bell, three wire. The
    >>current std is two wire per line so yes if there are two lines 4 wires
    >>(or two pair more exactly)

    > No. There are 2 lines coming into your house and have always been.
    >
    > In the old 3 wire system the two lines were converted to three INSIDE
    > your house at the master socket.
    >
    > In the current 2 wire system the two lines are effectively converted into
    > three at every phone jack.
    >
    > * Most wiring INSIDE houses has been with 4 wire cable, formerly using
    > three wires between sockets. Nowadays only 2 wires are needed between
    > sockets and this allows a 2nd line to be wired in without needing to add
    > extra cabling.
    >
    > * There are only TWO wires from the telephone exchange to your house. In
    > most installations that I have seen only a two wire cable is used from
    > the street to your house.
    >
    > In the case of multi unit apartments etc they sometimes lay a multi wire
    > cable up to a cable junction on the property that has spare circuits in
    > it. Another example would be my parent's small cul de sac which has a 50
    > pair cable laid underground, never going to be anything like 50
    > connections but it must be the standard practice when laying cables into
    > streets.
    >

    >>A spare pair sort of comes by default in most house services
    >>(underground) as they use two pair cable by default.

    > This may well be the practice for underground these days. Only 2 are
    > actually needed for the connection.

    And I never said any different

    Collector»NZ, Nov 3, 2004
  14. Alan Parker

    Alan Parker Guest

    Alan Parker wrote:
    > I've got Paradise dialup and a paradise email address I don't want to
    > change, and I was looking at their broadband.

    I wonder if I have the wrong information;
    I called Telstra (Paradise.net), and they said yes, they could now match
    Telecom's offer. Except I had to sign my line over to Telstra.
    Problem: My 0800 number appears on thousands of brochures, and Telstra
    say that would not work after transferring the line.
    And my paradise.net email address appears on thousands of brochures too.

    So I have 2 choices - pay $49/month and stick with Paradise, or move to
    Xtra for $39 a month, and pay Paradise $10 a month just to keep my email
    address. Surely there must be another way?
    I just need low speed, low usage ADSL, but $49 seems a bit much - I'd
    heard it was less.
    Alan Parker, Nov 15, 2004