Broadband/DSL question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ncleasby, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. ncleasby

    ncleasby Guest

    My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
    connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
    or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
    line) have registered with.

    I just finished building a machine for a friend who uses AOL + BT
    Voyager 105 DLS modem (I also have the same modem).

    I got AOL 9 software and the BT/AOL Drivers for the DSL modem
    installed, and now want to connect to the AOL service (using my DSL
    enabled phone line) just to make sure all is working OK, so when he
    takes the PC back to his home, the machine can be connected up and
    just work without any issues.

    When trying this, the modem fails to connect to AOL.
    I'm hoping that it's just because my phone is registered with F2S, and
    when he connects it to his phone line (AOL) it will connect fine.
    Just checking...

    nick.

    ncleasby, Mar 23, 2007

  2. ncleasby

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
    > connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
    > or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
    > line) have registered with.

    only the broadband provider that provides the connection. It is not the
    same as dialup internet, you are not dialling an access number when you
    connect.

    Flying Rat, Mar 23, 2007

  3. ncleasby

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-23, Flying Rat <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
    >> connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
    >> or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
    >> line) have registered with.
    >>

    > only the broadband provider that provides the connection. It is not the
    > same as dialup internet, you are not dialling an access number when you
    > connect.

    I agree. Your friend's AOL login will only work over his DSL connection,
    once AOL has confirmed that the connection is set up.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 23, 2007
  4. ncleasby

    ace90210 Guest

    On Mar 23, 2:30 pm, "ncleasby" <> wrote:
    > My phone line is DSL enabled (freedom2surf). My question is, can I
    > connect to any broadband provider if I has the login/account details,
    > or are you only able to connect with the ISP that you (your phone
    > line) have registered with.
    >
    > I just finished building a machine for a friend who uses AOL + BT
    > Voyager 105 DLS modem (I also have the same modem).
    >
    > I got AOL 9 software and the BT/AOL Drivers for the DSL modem
    > installed, and now want to connect to the AOL service (using my DSL
    > enabled phone line) just to make sure all is working OK, so when he
    > takes the PC back to his home, the machine can be connected up and
    > just work without any issues.
    >
    > When trying this, the modem fails to connect to AOL.
    > I'm hoping that it's just because my phone is registered with F2S, and
    > when he connects it to his phone line (AOL) it will connect fine.
    > Just checking...
    >
    > nick.

    yeh it wont let you do that because your line will be connected
    directly to your ISP. Thats what happens when you join a ISP and what
    takes the time for it to activate. so everything you send through you
    broadband goes to them(including you username and password) they then
    forward all pages you try to view to you from them so sending the user
    name and password from another ISP would just get a invalid user name
    and not let you on the net

    ace90210, Mar 24, 2007