Broadband Cable Internet New Plans

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gary L T, Nov 15, 2005.

  1. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    I see that TelstraClear has introduced several new residential high speed
    internet cable plans:

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/

    It's interesting to see that the new UPSTREAM traffic speed is at 2Mbps,
    which is a good improvement on the previous 512kbps. I think Telecom plans
    have an upload speed of only 128Mbps. Can anyone tell me whether having an
    upstream speed of 2Mbps will be of any great benefit compared with Telecom's
    128Mbps?

    TesltraClear advised me that the new 200MB of monthly traffic plan costs
    $61.90 per month and this includes your Telstra phone account of $31.95 per
    month, so the broadband cost of this plan is about $30 per month.

    The other plans, including the $31.95 for the monthly phone account, are
    priced as follows:

    1GB of monthly traffic: $71.90; 4 GB: $81.90; 10G $101.90. These plans have
    2Mbps downstream and also 2Mbps upstream. If you use more than the monthly
    traffic limit, 500Mb additional usage packs are charged at $4.95 per month
    per pack. I think these plans are quite a bit cheaper than previously.

    There are also two lightspeed plans: 10GB of monthly traffic with 10 Mbps
    downstream and 2 Mbps upstream ($131.90 per month) , and a new 20GB
    lightspeed plan with 20GB of monthly traffic and 10 Mbps downstream and
    2Mbps upstream ($171.90 per month). Additional traffic for these plans is
    charged at $4.95 per month per 1000Mb additional usage packs.

    Although these plans are only available on TelstraClear's cable network in
    Wellington and Christchurch, I wondered whether you think these plans are
    good value for money?

    If you are already paying say $15 per month for the dial-up 150-hour
    Paradise Net internet plan, then if you pick the 4 GB high speed internet
    plan for $81.90, this costs $49.95 for the broadband internet content and
    $31.95 for the monthly phone bill. Therefore, because you are already paying
    $15 per month for dial-up internet, then the extra cost per month for the
    high speed 4G internet plan is $34.95, that is, $49.95 less $15). It still
    seems fairly expensive to me, but I guess these plans are a step in the
    right direction, what are your views on cable high speed internet?

    Gary L T, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:31:10 +1300, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >I see that TelstraClear has introduced several new residential high speed
    >internet cable plans:
    >
    >http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/
    >
    >It's interesting to see that the new UPSTREAM traffic speed is at 2Mbps,
    >which is a good improvement on the previous 512kbps. I think Telecom plans
    >have an upload speed of only 128Mbps. Can anyone tell me whether having an
    >upstream speed of 2Mbps will be of any great benefit compared with Telecom's
    >128Mbps?
    >
    >TesltraClear advised me that the new 200MB of monthly traffic plan costs
    >$61.90 per month and this includes your Telstra phone account of $31.95 per
    >month, so the broadband cost of this plan is about $30 per month.
    >
    >The other plans, including the $31.95 for the monthly phone account, are
    >priced as follows:
    >
    >1GB of monthly traffic: $71.90; 4 GB: $81.90; 10G $101.90. These plans have
    >2Mbps downstream and also 2Mbps upstream. If you use more than the monthly
    >traffic limit, 500Mb additional usage packs are charged at $4.95 per month
    >per pack. I think these plans are quite a bit cheaper than previously.
    >
    >There are also two lightspeed plans: 10GB of monthly traffic with 10 Mbps
    >downstream and 2 Mbps upstream ($131.90 per month) , and a new 20GB
    >lightspeed plan with 20GB of monthly traffic and 10 Mbps downstream and
    >2Mbps upstream ($171.90 per month). Additional traffic for these plans is
    >charged at $4.95 per month per 1000Mb additional usage packs.
    >
    >Although these plans are only available on TelstraClear's cable network in
    >Wellington and Christchurch, I wondered whether you think these plans are
    >good value for money?
    >
    >If you are already paying say $15 per month for the dial-up 150-hour
    >Paradise Net internet plan, then if you pick the 4 GB high speed internet
    >plan for $81.90, this costs $49.95 for the broadband internet content and
    >$31.95 for the monthly phone bill. Therefore, because you are already paying
    >$15 per month for dial-up internet, then the extra cost per month for the
    >high speed 4G internet plan is $34.95, that is, $49.95 less $15). It still
    >seems fairly expensive to me, but I guess these plans are a step in the
    >right direction, what are your views on cable high speed internet?

    Far to dear when comparing to overseas, Plus don't forget there is a $10.95
    Modem rental charge on top of this..

    XP, Nov 15, 2005

  3. Gary L T

    steve Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    > It's interesting to see that the new UPSTREAM traffic speed is at 2Mbps,
    > which is a good improvement on the previous 512kbps. I think Telecom plans
    > have an upload speed of only 128Mbps. Can anyone tell me whether having an
    > upstream speed of 2Mbps will be of any great benefit compared with
    > Telecom's 128Mbps?

    If you want to run your own game SERVER, it will make it POSSIBLE.....while
    128k on Telecom renders it impossible.

    I used to host Unreal Tournament sessions on my Linux box via my cable modem
    connection to the Net.

    I wouldn't even try it on (UBS or not). The 128k upstream cap is just too
    low.

    You might ask why anyone do such a thing.....but for folk who do it,they
    would wonder why you DON'T. :)

    steve, Nov 15, 2005
  4. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > Far too dear when comparing to overseas, Plus don't forget there is a
    > $10.95
    > Modem rental charge on top of this..

    As I understand it, the prices set out in my posting now include the modem
    rental, which is not specified separately. But I will double check on this.
    I agree it is expensive when compared with some overseas countries, but it
    does seem to be an improvement on previous prices. These plans were
    introduced last week.

    Gary L T, Nov 15, 2005
  5. Gary L T

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > I wouldn't even try it on (UBS or not). The 128k upstream cap is just too
    > low.

    on ADSL....

    steve, Nov 15, 2005
  6. Gary L T

    David Guest

    Gary L T wrote:
    > I see that TelstraClear has introduced several new residential high speed
    > internet cable plans:
    >
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/
    >
    > It's interesting to see that the new UPSTREAM traffic speed is at 2Mbps,
    > which is a good improvement on the previous 512kbps. I think Telecom plans
    > have an upload speed of only 128Mbps. Can anyone tell me whether having an
    > upstream speed of 2Mbps will be of any great benefit compared with Telecom's
    > 128Mbps?
    >
    > TesltraClear advised me that the new 200MB of monthly traffic plan costs
    > $61.90 per month and this includes your Telstra phone account of $31.95 per
    > month, so the broadband cost of this plan is about $30 per month.
    >
    > The other plans, including the $31.95 for the monthly phone account, are
    > priced as follows:
    >
    > 1GB of monthly traffic: $71.90; 4 GB: $81.90; 10G $101.90. These plans have
    > 2Mbps downstream and also 2Mbps upstream. If you use more than the monthly
    > traffic limit, 500Mb additional usage packs are charged at $4.95 per month
    > per pack. I think these plans are quite a bit cheaper than previously.
    >
    > There are also two lightspeed plans: 10GB of monthly traffic with 10 Mbps
    > downstream and 2 Mbps upstream ($131.90 per month) , and a new 20GB
    > lightspeed plan with 20GB of monthly traffic and 10 Mbps downstream and
    > 2Mbps upstream ($171.90 per month). Additional traffic for these plans is
    > charged at $4.95 per month per 1000Mb additional usage packs.
    >
    > Although these plans are only available on TelstraClear's cable network in
    > Wellington and Christchurch, I wondered whether you think these plans are
    > good value for money?
    >
    > If you are already paying say $15 per month for the dial-up 150-hour
    > Paradise Net internet plan, then if you pick the 4 GB high speed internet
    > plan for $81.90, this costs $49.95 for the broadband internet content and
    > $31.95 for the monthly phone bill. Therefore, because you are already paying
    > $15 per month for dial-up internet, then the extra cost per month for the
    > high speed 4G internet plan is $34.95, that is, $49.95 less $15). It still
    > seems fairly expensive to me, but I guess these plans are a step in the
    > right direction, what are your views on cable high speed internet?

    2Mbps upload means you will be able to use P2P applications effectively,
    sending an email with attachments wont take several minutes and saturate
    your connection, stuff like that.

    David, Nov 15, 2005
  7. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    David wrote:

    > 2Mbps upload means you will be able to use P2P applications effectively,
    > sending an email with attachments wont take several minutes and saturate
    > your connection, stuff like that.

    Shame you cant actually use the connection without being raped for the extra
    traffic - at least on the orcon UBS plans they are $10 for 10 gigs, not that $5
    for half gig crap that telstra offer

    Richard, Nov 15, 2005
  8. Gary L T

    shannon Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> 2Mbps upload means you will be able to use P2P applications
    >> effectively, sending an email with attachments wont take several
    >> minutes and saturate your connection, stuff like that.

    > Shame you cant actually use the connection without being raped for the
    > extra traffic - at least on the orcon UBS plans they are $10 for 10
    > gigs, not that $5 for half gig crap that telstra offer

    ????
    You can buy 10GB traffic on cable from Telstra.
    I've had it since they first started cable.
    WTF are you on about ?

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005
  9. Gary L T

    shannon Guest

    David wrote:
    > Gary L T wrote:
    >
    >> I see that TelstraClear has introduced several new residential high
    >> speed internet cable plans:
    >>
    >> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/
    >>
    >> It's interesting to see that the new UPSTREAM traffic speed is at
    >> 2Mbps, which is a good improvement on the previous 512kbps. I think
    >> Telecom plans have an upload speed of only 128Mbps. Can anyone tell me
    >> whether having an upstream speed of 2Mbps will be of any great benefit
    >> compared with Telecom's 128Mbps?
    >>
    >> TesltraClear advised me that the new 200MB of monthly traffic plan
    >> costs $61.90 per month and this includes your Telstra phone account of
    >> $31.95 per month, so the broadband cost of this plan is about $30 per
    >> month.
    >>
    >> The other plans, including the $31.95 for the monthly phone account,
    >> are priced as follows:
    >>
    >> 1GB of monthly traffic: $71.90; 4 GB: $81.90; 10G $101.90. These plans
    >> have 2Mbps downstream and also 2Mbps upstream. If you use more than
    >> the monthly traffic limit, 500Mb additional usage packs are charged at
    >> $4.95 per month per pack. I think these plans are quite a bit cheaper
    >> than previously.
    >>
    >> There are also two lightspeed plans: 10GB of monthly traffic with 10
    >> Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream ($131.90 per month) , and a new
    >> 20GB lightspeed plan with 20GB of monthly traffic and 10 Mbps
    >> downstream and 2Mbps upstream ($171.90 per month). Additional traffic
    >> for these plans is charged at $4.95 per month per 1000Mb additional
    >> usage packs.
    >>
    >> Although these plans are only available on TelstraClear's cable
    >> network in Wellington and Christchurch, I wondered whether you think
    >> these plans are good value for money?
    >>
    >> If you are already paying say $15 per month for the dial-up 150-hour
    >> Paradise Net internet plan, then if you pick the 4 GB high speed
    >> internet plan for $81.90, this costs $49.95 for the broadband internet
    >> content and $31.95 for the monthly phone bill. Therefore, because you
    >> are already paying $15 per month for dial-up internet, then the extra
    >> cost per month for the high speed 4G internet plan is $34.95, that is,
    >> $49.95 less $15). It still seems fairly expensive to me, but I guess
    >> these plans are a step in the right direction, what are your views on
    >> cable high speed internet?
    >>

    > 2Mbps upload means you will be able to use P2P applications effectively,
    > sending an email with attachments wont take several minutes and saturate
    > your connection, stuff like that.

    Bear in mind that the upload portion of your p2p also counts as traffic.
    The 10GB of traffic is both ways.

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005
  10. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > ????
    > You can buy 10GB traffic on cable from Telstra.
    > I've had it since they first started cable.
    > WTF are you on about ?

    Not on there base new plans you cant.

    Richard, Nov 15, 2005
  11. Gary L T

    shannon Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> ????
    >> You can buy 10GB traffic on cable from Telstra.
    >> I've had it since they first started cable.
    >> WTF are you on about ?

    > Not on there base new plans you cant.

    Whats this then ?

    http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/

    HighSpeed 10G

    * 10 GB of monthly traffic
    * 2 Mbps downstream / 2 Mbps upstream
    * Choose your ISP - paradise.net or clear.net
    * Free helpdesk support
    * 500Mb additional usage packs charged at $4.95 per month per pack

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005
  12. Gary L T

    Daniel Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> 2Mbps upload means you will be able to use P2P applications
    >> effectively, sending an email with attachments wont take several
    >> minutes and saturate your connection, stuff like that.

    > Shame you cant actually use the connection without being raped for the
    > extra traffic - at least on the orcon UBS plans they are $10 for 10
    > gigs, not that $5 for half gig crap that telstra offer

    You mean the concept of paying for what you use?

    My understanding is that the capacity Orcon buys wholesale from Telecom
    does not work out to 10GB per 10GB user (e.g. Orcon has 5,000 10GB
    subscribers, so in theory they pay for 50TB worth of capacity).

    So, the question then becomes, if Orcon doesn't have the capacity to
    service x number of users to the contracted 10GB capacity per user, then
    how are they going to provision the service??

    Having read the countless number of complaints regarding Orcon's now
    defunct unlimited flat-rate UBS offering, and other recent war stories,
    I'm glad to be on a non-traffic shaped (on my end at least) TelstraClear
    cable plan.

    You have to ask yourself the question:
    If you've payed for 10GB of capacity, then why on earth does Orcon (and
    then Telecom), have to traffic shape your connection??

    Daniel, Nov 15, 2005
  13. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:08:15 +1300, shannon <> wrote:

    >David wrote:
    >> Gary L T wrote:
    >>
    >>> I see that TelstraClear has introduced several new residential high
    >>> speed internet cable plans:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/
    >>>
    >>> It's interesting to see that the new UPSTREAM traffic speed is at
    >>> 2Mbps, which is a good improvement on the previous 512kbps. I think
    >>> Telecom plans have an upload speed of only 128Mbps. Can anyone tell me
    >>> whether having an upstream speed of 2Mbps will be of any great benefit
    >>> compared with Telecom's 128Mbps?
    >>>
    >>> TesltraClear advised me that the new 200MB of monthly traffic plan
    >>> costs $61.90 per month and this includes your Telstra phone account of
    >>> $31.95 per month, so the broadband cost of this plan is about $30 per
    >>> month.
    >>>
    >>> The other plans, including the $31.95 for the monthly phone account,
    >>> are priced as follows:
    >>>
    >>> 1GB of monthly traffic: $71.90; 4 GB: $81.90; 10G $101.90. These plans
    >>> have 2Mbps downstream and also 2Mbps upstream. If you use more than
    >>> the monthly traffic limit, 500Mb additional usage packs are charged at
    >>> $4.95 per month per pack. I think these plans are quite a bit cheaper
    >>> than previously.
    >>>
    >>> There are also two lightspeed plans: 10GB of monthly traffic with 10
    >>> Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream ($131.90 per month) , and a new
    >>> 20GB lightspeed plan with 20GB of monthly traffic and 10 Mbps
    >>> downstream and 2Mbps upstream ($171.90 per month). Additional traffic
    >>> for these plans is charged at $4.95 per month per 1000Mb additional
    >>> usage packs.
    >>>
    >>> Although these plans are only available on TelstraClear's cable
    >>> network in Wellington and Christchurch, I wondered whether you think
    >>> these plans are good value for money?
    >>>
    >>> If you are already paying say $15 per month for the dial-up 150-hour
    >>> Paradise Net internet plan, then if you pick the 4 GB high speed
    >>> internet plan for $81.90, this costs $49.95 for the broadband internet
    >>> content and $31.95 for the monthly phone bill. Therefore, because you
    >>> are already paying $15 per month for dial-up internet, then the extra
    >>> cost per month for the high speed 4G internet plan is $34.95, that is,
    >>> $49.95 less $15). It still seems fairly expensive to me, but I guess
    >>> these plans are a step in the right direction, what are your views on
    >>> cable high speed internet?
    >>>

    >> 2Mbps upload means you will be able to use P2P applications effectively,
    >> sending an email with attachments wont take several minutes and saturate
    >> your connection, stuff like that.

    >Bear in mind that the upload portion of your p2p also counts as traffic.
    >The 10GB of traffic is both ways.

    Yes all errors, retransmits, Dos hits etc, its all counted.

    XP, Nov 15, 2005
  14. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > Whats this then ?
    >
    > http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/
    >
    > HighSpeed 10G
    >
    > * 10 GB of monthly traffic
    > * 2 Mbps downstream / 2 Mbps upstream
    > * Choose your ISP - paradise.net or clear.net
    > * Free helpdesk support
    > * 500Mb additional usage packs charged at $4.95 per month per pack

    500Mb additional usage packs charged at $4.95 per month per pack

    orcon its $10 for each additional 10 gigs.

    Richard, Nov 15, 2005
  15. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message

    >>> 2Mbps upload means you will be able to use P2P applications effectively,
    >>> sending an email with attachments wont take several minutes and saturate
    >>> your connection, stuff like that.

    >>Bear in mind that the upload portion of your p2p also counts as traffic.
    >>The 10GB of traffic is both ways.

    > Yes all errors, retransmits, Dos hits etc, its all counted.

    Yes, but I gather that most users would not exceed 3 or 4 GB traffic per
    month, that's why Telstra may have changed their 5GB plan to a 4GB one.
    There must be also quite a few users who would be content with 500MB and 1GB
    plans, otherwise TelstraClear wouldn't have bothered having them as an
    option in their new packages. I doubt whether many users would go for the
    10GB and 20GB plans, how could you possibly use this amount unless you were
    downloading movies regularly or playing games for hours a day? It's usually
    illegal to download movies anyway, no matter what the download site may tell
    you, so how could you use 20GB of traffic per month?

    Gary L T, Nov 15, 2005