    I haven't noticed any difference using the computer.

    Is there anything I should do please? Should I get the computer man?

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 19, 2013

  2. geopelia

    Me Guest

    On 19/09/2013 9:52 p.m., geopelia wrote:
    > The box the broadband man left has got 5 green lights on the top. The middle
    > one has turned orange.
    > I haven't noticed any difference using the computer.
    >
    > Is there anything I should do please? Should I get the computer man?
    >
    > Geopelia

    Not worth calling in a computer man.
    Is there some marking next to the orange light, to indicate what it's
    for? Often abbreviated to WL, DSL, PPP, etc and small lettering
    (sometimes very small and just embossed on the case - not printed).
    Sometimes not marked - and you'd probably need to look at the manual if
    you needed to know (if you don't have a hard copy, then google the modem
    model number, or look on your ISP's site).
    Could be something like WL (wireless) decided to stop, but if your
    computer is connected via ethernet cable to the box, then the rest of
    the modem's functions could still be working fine for your internet
    connection.
    Sometimes modems just have occasional random problems and need to be
    re-started - switched off, wait 20 seconds, switch on again and wait a
    minute or two for it to connect.

    Me, Sep 20, 2013

  3. geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Do you know the model name (and possibly model number) of the broadband box?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 20, 2013
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Do you know the model name (and possibly model number) of the broadband
    > box?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thank you.

    Telecom Wireless Modem.

    The box it came in says TG585v8 ADSL2+

    The middle light that has gone orange is Wireless.

    I haven't noticed any difference in the way the computer works.
    I don't think I have got wireless, the computer works off the phone line.
    Another problem, I can't see a Log Off button on the Facebook page.
    Does turning Facebook off do that automatically please?

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 21, 2013
  5. geopelia

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:38:22 +1200, geopelia wrote:

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Do you know the model name (and possibly model number) of the broadband
    >> box?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Telecom Wireless Modem.
    >
    > The box it came in says TG585v8 ADSL2+
    >
    > The middle light that has gone orange is Wireless.
    >
    > I haven't noticed any difference in the way the computer works.
    > I don't think I have got wireless, the computer works off the phone line.
    > Another problem, I can't see a Log Off button on the Facebook page.
    > Does turning Facebook off do that automatically please?
    >
    > Geopelia
    >

    >> On 19/09/13 21:52, geopelia wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The box the broadband man left has got 5 green lights on the top. The
    >>> middle
    >>> one has turned orange.
    >>> I haven't noticed any difference using the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I should do please? Should I get the computer man?
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    According to:

    https://www.ote.gr/documents/10280/...n_v8.pdf/0878a24f-0922-408c-bd51-fff55a07f53a

    Green Solid on No wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption
    Green Blinking Wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption

    Orange Solid on No wireless activity, WEP encryption
    Orange Blinking Wireless activity, WEP encryption

    So it looks like someone has changed the encryption from WPA(2) te WEP

    Bret, Sep 21, 2013
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:38:22 +1200, geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >>> Do you know the model name (and possibly model number) of the broadband
    >>> box?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff

    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Telecom Wireless Modem.
    >>
    >> The box it came in says TG585v8 ADSL2+
    >>
    >> The middle light that has gone orange is Wireless.
    >>
    >> I haven't noticed any difference in the way the computer works.
    >> I don't think I have got wireless, the computer works off the phone line.
    >> Another problem, I can't see a Log Off button on the Facebook page.
    >> Does turning Facebook off do that automatically please?
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > According to:
    >
    > https://www.ote.gr/documents/10280/...n_v8.pdf/0878a24f-0922-408c-bd51-fff55a07f53a
    >
    > Green Solid on No wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption
    > Green Blinking Wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption
    >
    > Orange Solid on No wireless activity, WEP encryption
    > Orange Blinking Wireless activity, WEP encryption
    >
    > So it looks like someone has changed the encryption from WPA(2) te WEP

    Thank you.
    That wasn't me, unless something I did caused it. Could be the computer man,
    he can get into this computer by remote control.
    But I have to click on something to let him in.

    Perhaps the box does it automatically if I have never used wireless. I don't
    know what WPA and WEP are, anyway.
    When it was green it used to blink with the rest of the lights. Perhaps it
    was looking for wireless and not finding any.

    geopelia, Sep 21, 2013
  7. geopelia

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat 21 Sep 2013 03:44:18 PM CDT, geopelia wrote:

    >"Bret" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:38:22 +1200, geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Enkidu" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Telecom Wireless Modem.
    >>>
    >>> The box it came in says TG585v8 ADSL2+
    >>>
    >>> The middle light that has gone orange is Wireless.
    >>>
    >>> I haven't noticed any difference in the way the computer works.
    >>> I don't think I have got wireless, the computer works off the phone
    >>> line. .........
    >>> Another problem, I can't see a Log Off button on the Facebook page.
    >>> Does turning Facebook off do that automatically please?
    >>>
    >>> Geopelia

    >> According to:
    >>
    >> https://www.ote.gr/documents/10280/...n_v8.pdf/0878a24f-0922-408c-bd51-fff55a07f53a
    >>
    >> Green Solid on No wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption
    >> Green Blinking Wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption
    >>
    >> Orange Solid on No wireless activity, WEP encryption
    >> Orange Blinking Wireless activity, WEP encryption
    >>
    >> So it looks like someone has changed the encryption from WPA(2) te
    >> WEP

    >Thank you.
    >That wasn't me, unless something I did caused it. Could be the
    >computer man, he can get into this computer by remote control.
    >But I have to click on something to let him in.
    >
    >Perhaps the box does it automatically if I have never used wireless. I
    >don't know what WPA and WEP are, anyway.
    >When it was green it used to blink with the rest of the lights.
    >Perhaps it was looking for wireless and not finding any.

    Hi
    If it was green and blinking then someone may have been using it, or as
    you say just searching for a wireless device.

    I would suggest you err on the side of caution and if your not using
    wireless, would suggest you get your computer man to log into the
    device and disable it.

    If you have had a power outage or perhaps a spike, it may have reset it
    self which may default to WEP (as in the orange lights).

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) GNOME 3.8.4 Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop

    Malcolm, Sep 21, 2013
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat 21 Sep 2013 03:44:18 PM CDT, geopelia wrote:
    >

    >>"Bret" <> wrote in message

    >>> According to:
    >>>
    >>> https://www.ote.gr/documents/10280/...n_v8.pdf/0878a24f-0922-408c-bd51-fff55a07f53a
    >>>
    >>> Green Solid on No wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption
    >>> Green Blinking Wireless activity, WPA(2) encryption
    >>>
    >>> Orange Solid on No wireless activity, WEP encryption
    >>> Orange Blinking Wireless activity, WEP encryption
    >>>
    >>> So it looks like someone has changed the encryption from WPA(2) te
    >>> WEP

    >>Thank you.
    >>That wasn't me, unless something I did caused it. Could be the
    >>computer man, he can get into this computer by remote control.
    >>But I have to click on something to let him in.
    >>
    >>Perhaps the box does it automatically if I have never used wireless. I
    >>don't know what WPA and WEP are, anyway.
    >>When it was green it used to blink with the rest of the lights.
    >>Perhaps it was looking for wireless and not finding any.
    >>

    > Hi
    > If it was green and blinking then someone may have been using it, or as
    > you say just searching for a wireless device.
    >
    > I would suggest you err on the side of caution and if your not using
    > wireless, would suggest you get your computer man to log into the
    > device and disable it.

    I'll ask him when he comes again.

    > If you have had a power outage or perhaps a spike, it may have reset it
    > self which may default to WEP (as in the orange lights).

    Yes, there have been sudden power cuts. Probably some power pole getting in
    the way of a car again.
    I've got a surge protector though. It's thundering now, if it comes any
    closer I will shut down the computer. But the church near us has a
    lightning conductor, so we should be safe.

    I doubt if anyone else would be able to use this computer, except the
    computer man.

    geopelia, Sep 21, 2013
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Amazing! The orange light is steady green again this morning

    With the thunder last night, I switched the computer off at the wall and
    pulled the plug out. That seems to have fixed whatever was wrong, unless the
    thunder did it.
    I still haven't a clue, but now I'll try that again if it goes orange.
    That plug lead goes to the surge protector, which has other things plugged
    into it too.

    Thanks to all
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 22, 2013