broadband ,best ISP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by macca, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. macca

    macca Guest

    "XPD" <....nz> wrote in message

    > "Gary O'Neill" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking
    >>at 2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any
    >>opinion on them or recommendations for other ISP's
    >> gary
    >>

    > Im with Quicksilver on 2mb 4gb International and unlimited NZ traffic. Ive
    > only hit the 4gb limit once.
    > What do you do with your connection ? Games, leech, email, browse ?
    >
    >On ihug 2mb 20/20 gig $69:95 and overshoot my cap regularly. Am throttled
    >back when cap is reached..however this only kicks in for either the local
    >or international seperately so in effect if you cap out on local you may
    >still have full speed on the other or vice versa. Mostly Music and movies
    >and and almost exclusively using usenet with athena.news & teranews.com the
    >first with a 1gig daily cap and athena with a 750 mb daily limit each
    >server cost 9 bucks a month..

    Works for me..
    macca

    Gary O'Neill, Jan 30, 2006

  3. macca

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <>
    exclaimed:

    >I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking at
    >2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any opinion
    >on them or recommendations for other ISP's
    >gary

    Sorry to say it guys, but if you are really just looking for 10GB, you
    should probably go with Xtra.

    Telecom's screwed up the service offered by the others. It's wrong,
    bad, etc, but the fact is, sofar, Xtra appears to be the only ones
    that offer a consistently high quality product.

    Don't use their DNS, though.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 30, 2006
  4. macca

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am
    >> looking at 2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price
    >> wise ,any opinion on them or recommendations for other ISP's
    >> gary
    >>

    > Sorry to say it guys, but if you are really just looking for 10GB, you
    > should probably go with Xtra.
    >
    > Telecom's screwed up the service offered by the others. It's wrong,
    > bad, etc, but the fact is, sofar, Xtra appears to be the only ones
    > that offer a consistently high quality product.

    Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that they
    sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service. How can they
    get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't Microsoft.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 30, 2006
  5. In article <43ddfd02$>, says...
    > Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that they
    > sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service. How can they
    > get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't Microsoft.

    Ah, but they *are* in partnership with the very same, don't forget.

    Still, I can only say that I am extremely satisfied with my 1 Mbit/10 GB
    connection via Iconz. They're neither flashy nor noisy but performance is
    impeccable and rock solid so far (4 months and counting). I'm no massive P2P
    user, but downloads from commercial servers _always_ come in at >130 kB/s.
    Maybe ~5 disconnects due to 'port error' per month. I'm happy. Better'n
    anything I've had via satellite and I am paying less ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 30, 2006
  6. macca

    Fishb8 Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>I am looking at ADSL broadband ,Orcon seems to getting bad ,I am looking
    >>at
    >>2mb download 10gb month,best plan seems to be IHUG price wise ,any opinion
    >>on them or recommendations for other ISP's
    >>gary
    >>

    > Sorry to say it guys, but if you are really just looking for 10GB, you
    > should probably go with Xtra.
    >
    > Telecom's screwed up the service offered by the others. It's wrong,
    > bad, etc, but the fact is, sofar, Xtra appears to be the only ones
    > that offer a consistently high quality product.
    >
    > Don't use their DNS, though.

    Really showing my ignorance here, but what's the DNS story and how do I
    configure so as not to use it?

    Fishb8, Jan 30, 2006
  7. macca

    Peter Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that they
    > sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service. How can they
    > get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't Microsoft.

    Telecom / Xtra certainly appear to be abusing their monopoly position.
    A week or 2 back, some technician did something in the exchange that cut my
    ADSL connection. Maxnet couldn't fix it, and could only wait for Telecom.
    Telecom wouldn't do anything because I wasn't an Xtra customer.

    Telecom / Xtra seem to be deliberately trying to screw customers of other
    ISPs.

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 30, 2006
  8. Fishb8 wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:24:19 +1300, "Gary O'Neill" <>
    >> exclaimed:

    >> Don't use their DNS, though.

    > Really showing my ignorance here, but what's the DNS story and how do I
    > configure so as not to use it?

    Domain Name Service and without it you wont get didly squat, it is basically a
    big lookup table that converts domain names to addresses that routers
    understand [IP] so that you can contact other places in the Internet. Xtras DNS
    are IIRC alien.xtra.co.nz and terminator.xtra.co.nz (always figured they were
    apt names for them) Also referred to as [202.27.184.3] and [202.27.184.5]

    In most Internet connection settings options you get a choice of either using
    the auto (DHCP) assigned DNS or setting your own DNS servers address (IP) to use.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jan 30, 2006
  9. macca

    XPD Guest

    XPD, Jan 30, 2006
  10. macca

    Tony Guest

    >>> Don't use their DNS, though.
    >> Really showing my ignorance here, but what's the DNS story and how do
    >> I configure so as not to use it?
    >>

    > Domain Name Service and without it you wont get didly squat, it is
    > basically a big lookup table that converts domain names to addresses
    > that routers understand [IP] so that you can contact other places in the
    > Internet. Xtras DNS are IIRC alien.xtra.co.nz and terminator.xtra.co.nz
    > (always figured they were apt names for them) Also referred to as
    > [202.27.184.3] and [202.27.184.5]
    >
    > In most Internet connection settings options you get a choice of either
    > using the auto (DHCP) assigned DNS or setting your own DNS servers
    > address (IP) to use.

    Be aware that the days of being able to pick another ISP's dns servers
    to use are over. Recently (and ongoing) all major ISP's have been
    locking down external recursive (what you need to use the net) use of
    their DNS servers to prevent possible attacks. I would strongly advise
    you do not change your DNS settings of what your ISP automatically
    assigns you unless you really know what you are doing. (ie run your own
    Linux server). There would be dubious advantage to changing unless your
    ISP's DNS is seriously flawed anyway, and frankly if it is the ISP has
    serious problems.

    Tony, Jan 30, 2006
  11. macca

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that
    >> they sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service.
    >> How can they get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't
    >> Microsoft.

    > Telecom / Xtra certainly appear to be abusing their monopoly position.
    > A week or 2 back, some technician did something in the exchange that
    > cut my ADSL connection. Maxnet couldn't fix it, and could only wait
    > for Telecom. Telecom wouldn't do anything because I wasn't an Xtra
    > customer.
    >
    > Telecom / Xtra seem to be deliberately trying to screw customers of
    > other ISPs.

    Aye, they are at that. There's no "seems" about it. It should be a criminal
    offence. However, most of parliment have shares in Telecom so they aren't
    going to do anything to change it. Also, I heard the excuse recently that if
    anything was done to affect Telecom's profitability it would cause a
    sell-off of their shares and negatively impact the NZ sharemarket.

    Once again a case of the rich looking after themselves. And this is supposed
    to be a democracy? Even the Commerce Commision can't touch Telecom. All they
    can do is make recommendations. Then Theresa makes a phone call or two and
    it gets changed, or it's simply ignored.

    At least they have good, cheap cocaine in Bolivia. (So I'm told. ;-) )
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2006
  12. macca

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <43ddfd02$>,
    > says...
    >> Sad but true. Telecom seem to have sabotaged their UBS product that
    >> they sell to other ISPs and made it into a very inferior service.
    >> How can they get away with this? This isn't Bolivia. They aren't
    >> Microsoft.

    > Ah, but they *are* in partnership with the very same, don't forget.

    True.

    > Still, I can only say that I am extremely satisfied with my 1 Mbit/10
    > GB connection via Iconz. They're neither flashy nor noisy but
    > performance is impeccable and rock solid so far (4 months and
    > counting). I'm no massive P2P user, but downloads from commercial
    > servers _always_ come in at >130 kB/s. Maybe ~5 disconnects due to
    > 'port error' per month. I'm happy. Better'n anything I've had via
    > satellite and I am paying less ...

    Ok, thanks for the info. I haven't looked at Iconz (although 10GB wouldn't
    be enough for me). However, I fear that the problem may well be at the DSLAM
    level and that would mean that any ISP I use (other than the corrupt
    Telecom's own wholly-owned subsiduary, Xtra) would probably be unable to
    help with my connection problems.

    I'm going to try to get hold of a tech at Orcon today and see if anything
    can be done.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2006
  13. macca

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > Ok, thanks for the info. I haven't looked at Iconz (although 10GB
    > wouldn't be enough for me). However, I fear that the problem may well
    > be at the DSLAM level and that would mean that any ISP I use (other
    > than the corrupt Telecom's own wholly-owned subsiduary, Xtra) would
    > probably be unable to help with my connection problems.
    >
    > I'm going to try to get hold of a tech at Orcon today and see if
    > anything can be done.

    I'm currently waiting for a tech to ring me back, the female asian 'droid
    with the really bad accent (whom I could hardly understand, had to get her
    to repeat most things she said) wouldn't pass me on. She said she'll send a
    memo to a tech and the tech will contact me. She tptally ignored my talk of
    PPP connections and S/N numbers and kept asking about monitor alarms, Sky TV
    etc. even though I told her I'd been through all that with the other guy on
    Sunday.

    I told her the tech better get back to me soon if they want to keep my
    business. If I don't hear back by COB today I'll be researching tonight and
    ordering from another ISP tomorrow. I've paid them $90/month for my UBS for
    the last two months, on the day I was billed. You'd think they'd maybe want
    to keep me. We'll see.

    I see two things of interest on Iconz's web-site:

    "24-hour permanent high-speed connection to the internet"

    And:

    "128kbps upstream and best efforts downstream"

    The first one is good. Grounds for serious complaint / refund if they don't
    deliver something approximately equal to that.

    The second isn't that good but is at least honest and not hidden in the T&C,
    it's right there on the products page.

    However, their deals aren't as good as Actrix or Ihug for my requirements.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2006
  14. If this hasn't been asked/answered on here before

    What type of DSL Modem do you have? And have you tried an alternative one?

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jan 31, 2006
  15. In article <43deb7e0$>, says...

    > However, their deals aren't as good as Actrix or Ihug for my requirements.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yeah, I actually would've gone to Actrix but I didn't like their way of email
    filtering and I didn't want to have to bundle my tolls. Without tolls bundled
    they were _way_ too expensive for my taste.
    Ihug, well I've no idea where they're at these days. Their plans may be much
    better than what I am buying. I've been with them for many years, and I didn't
    like 'being sold down the road' to Bordernet and there were a number of
    quibbles I had with them over support at the time. They didn't manage to
    persuade Telescum to hook me up to adsl, Iconz didn't have that problem ...
    guess you could say I was in a bit of a snit with Ihug last
    July/August/September so I moved on. If they'd tried a bit harder, they
    would've kept my business.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 31, 2006
  16. Tony wrote:
    >>> Really showing my ignorance here, but what's the DNS story and how do
    >>> I configure so as not to use it?
    >>>

    >> Domain Name Service and without it you wont get didly squat, it is
    >> basically a big lookup table that converts domain names to addresses
    >> that routers understand [IP] so that you can contact other places in
    >> the Internet. Xtras DNS are IIRC alien.xtra.co.nz and
    >> terminator.xtra.co.nz (always figured they were apt names for them)
    >> Also referred to as [202.27.184.3] and [202.27.184.5]
    >>
    >> In most Internet connection settings options you get a choice of
    >> either using the auto (DHCP) assigned DNS or setting your own DNS
    >> servers address (IP) to use.
    >>

    > Be aware that the days of being able to pick another ISP's dns servers
    > to use are over. Recently (and ongoing) all major ISP's have been
    > locking down external recursive (what you need to use the net) use of
    > their DNS servers to prevent possible attacks. I would strongly advise
    > you do not change your DNS settings of what your ISP automatically
    > assigns you unless you really know what you are doing. (ie run your own
    > Linux server). There would be dubious advantage to changing unless your
    > ISP's DNS is seriously flawed anyway, and frankly if it is the ISP has
    > serious problems.

    Yes no and maybe, but all that aside it is the problem of the person who asked
    the question to asertain if they can use any other DNS I just provided a basic
    intro and a method for him to follow up on

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jan 31, 2006
  17. macca

    Gary O'Neill Guest

    I am using a program that will require 8-10 pages constantly open
    6-8hrs 5-6 days a week with each page refreshing every 30 seconds
    for the changing situation.This is international traffic.
    10gig is probably to much but price diff is not that great for the extra
    capacity. Minimal outbound

    Gary O'Neill, Jan 31, 2006
  18. macca

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:

    Are you replying to me Craig? As your post appears below mine in my
    newsreader I'll continue on the assumption that you are.

    > If this hasn't been asked/answered on here before

    What pray tell?

    > What type of DSL Modem do you have? And have you tried an alternative
    > one?

    Me? Currently using an Alcatel Speedtouch 510 router but tried with an
    Alcatel Speedtouch USB for a few days last week with the same drop-out rate.

    BTW, Orcon's 'helpdesk' person told me early this afternoon that someone
    would get back to me within the hour, probably 30 minutes and double-checked
    my contact numbers.

    Still haven't heard back.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2006
  19. macca

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <43deb7e0$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> However, their deals aren't as good as Actrix or Ihug for my
    >> requirements. --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Yeah, I actually would've gone to Actrix but I didn't like their way
    > of email filtering and I didn't want to have to bundle my tolls.

    Ok. What's the story with the email filtering? If I move I'll move my tolls
    as well as at the moment I have them with Orcon anyway.

    > Without tolls bundled they were _way_ too expensive for my taste.
    > Ihug, well I've no idea where they're at these days. Their plans may
    > be much better than what I am buying. I've been with them for many
    > years, and I didn't like 'being sold down the road' to Bordernet and
    > there were a number of quibbles I had with them over support at the
    > time. They didn't manage to persuade Telescum to hook me up to adsl,
    > Iconz didn't have that problem ... guess you could say I was in a bit
    > of a snit with Ihug last July/August/September so I moved on. If
    > they'd tried a bit harder, they would've kept my business.

    I know how you feel. At the moment I'm rapidly approaching that stage with
    Orcon. Was told I'd get a call back this avo so didn't get involved doing
    anything that couldn't be interrupted while waiting for the call. Still
    waiting.......

    If I move from Orcon and find better service elsewhere Orcon will lose quite
    a few other accounts as well as virtually everyone I know looks to me for
    advice on all things computer. If I get a better deal / service elsewhere
    I'll sure as hell be spreading the word. Actrix pay your churn fee for you
    as well if you agree to stay with them 6 months.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 31, 2006
  20. In article <43df2ec2$>, says...

    > Ok. What's the story with the email filtering? If I move I'll move my tolls
    > as well as at the moment I have them with Orcon anyway.

    http://www.actrix.co.nz/domestic/security/index.php

    white list, grey list, black list - at an additional cost. Remember, I compared
    the offerings 4 months ago (their website has changed considerably since then).
    As I recall they had a mechanism then that, I felt, might bounce legitimate
    emails - because we used to be members of Servas as well as (still are) Farm
    Helpers in New Zealand we get a lot of email from total strangers who want to
    come and stay with us ... any white list approach would be a total pita in that
    situation.

    I see their 1Mbit/128kbit cyberjet listed with the same 54.95 I am paying for
    the same speed, with an extra 10 bucks added in the small print if you don't
    have tolls with them. Admittedly, you can get a lot more data through Actrix at
    this rate but I rarely used to have a problem staying within Ultra's 2GB - so
    10GB is sheer luxury as far as I am concerned <g>.

    Horses for courses, obviously :)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 31, 2006