Broadband and FTP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tigeressly, May 8, 2004.

  1. Tigeressly

    Tigeressly Guest

    I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
    software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
    built in one in Dreamweaver.

    I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
    connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
    told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
    don't really have clue!

    With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
    remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
    still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
    being able to FTP to my NTL site.

    Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.

    Regards

    Tigeressly

    Tigeressly, May 8, 2004

  2. Tigeressly

    treehugger Guest

    "Tigeressly" <> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
    > I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
    > software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
    > built in one in Dreamweaver.
    >
    > I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
    > connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
    > told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
    > don't really have clue!
    >
    > With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
    > remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
    > still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
    > being able to FTP to my NTL site.
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Tigeressly

    Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

    treehugger

    treehugger, May 8, 2004

  3. Tigeressly

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:20:13 +0100, "treehugger"
    <> scribbled:

    >"Tigeressly" <> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
    >> I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
    >> software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
    >> built in one in Dreamweaver.
    >>
    >> I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
    >> connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
    >> told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
    >> don't really have clue!
    >>
    >> With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
    >> remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
    >> still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
    >> being able to FTP to my NTL site.
    >>
    >> Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Tigeressly
    >>

    >Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

    What imbecile told you that?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, May 8, 2004
  4. Tigeressly

    anon Guest

    Have you checked settings in Internet Options, regarding connections etc
    Or maybe a setting in WS_Ftp pro
    I dont have any prob using ftp/Dreamweaver in NTL broadband. I dont use
    WinXP firewall but a specific app.
    The first time I used ftp I believe I had a warning from my Firewall, I then
    permitted this connection.
    It maybe that you need to configure yr firewall to allow the connection., as
    I said I dont use xp firewall, but its a simple task in either the Norton or
    Zonealarm firewall.

    anon, May 8, 2004
  5. Tigeressly

    Tigeressly Guest

    Thanks to you all for your help.

    I disabled xp firewall, but not my Norton IS and was able to upload with
    WS_FTP Pro. Still cannot upload from Dreamweaver which is a bit
    disappointing, just makes life a bit easier, but am relieved that I can
    finally upload.

    So much to NTL so call techincal support, I don't think I will waste my
    money phoning for their "so called" help again.

    ;-)

    Tigeressly, May 8, 2004
  6. Tigeressly

    Fred Kasner Guest

    treehugger <> wrote:

    > "Tigeressly" <> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
    >> I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
    >> software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
    >> built in one in Dreamweaver.
    >>
    >> I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
    >> connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
    >> told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
    >> don't really have clue!
    >>
    >> With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
    >> remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
    >> still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
    >> being able to FTP to my NTL site.
    >>
    >> Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Tigeressly
    >>

    > Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

    > treehugger

    That's what you think! But you are wrong. XP is a one way firewall. It does NOT protect you in
    both incoming and outgoing transmissions. You are living in a fool's paradise.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, May 9, 2004
  7. -= Hawk =- wrote:

    > On Sat, 8 May 2004 16:20:13 +0100, "treehugger"
    > <> scribbled:
    >

    >>"Tigeressly" <> wrote in message news:O26nc.6550$7S2.6534@newsfe1-win...
    >>
    >>>I have recently had broadband installed, and prior to that I used dial up
    >>>software and never had problems with FTP tools either stand alone or the
    >>>built in one in Dreamweaver.
    >>>
    >>>I am now unable to use the FTP tools in either if I use the broadband
    >>>connection so I contacted NTL techincal support. The guy who I spoke to
    >>>told me to ftp via my browser, which I am not accustomed to doing and still
    >>>don't really have clue!
    >>>
    >>>With WS_FTP PRO it tries to connect but I then get "Connection closed by
    >>>remote host", in Dreamweaver it comes up with an FTP error. Both programs
    >>>still work fine with dial up, so I am becoming increasing frustrated in not
    >>>being able to FTP to my NTL site.
    >>>
    >>>Any advice would be much appreciated in this matter.
    >>>
    >>>Regards
    >>>
    >>>Tigeressly
    >>>

    >>Are you running a firewall? I was told to uninstall Zone Alarm. It wasn't enough to just turn it off, I needed to uninstall it completely. I now just use the XP built in firewall which is fine.

    > What imbecile told you that?

    Sounds like a Bullisism.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, May 14, 2004