    Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

    Thanks

    PS. UK Resident

    species8350, Apr 23, 2009

  2. species8350

    Tony Guest

    Well if it's anything like CanaDUH you need dial-up to "fall back on"
    because broadband is among the worst in the entire world.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Apr 23, 2009

  3. species8350

    chuckcar Guest

    species8350 <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I use dialup.
    >
    > The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >
    > My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    > dialup?
    >
    > If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?
    >
    > Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?
    >
    > Thanks

    with ADSL - which uses the phone line, you just don't take off the filter
    before the computer to use normal dial=up. If you want to use Broadband,
    you take it out.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 23, 2009
  4. species8350

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:57:55 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Yes. Broadband is generally acquired from cable tv outlets so the
    >dialup, which uses phone lines, won't be affected.

    Uhhhh... Ooookkkkk.

    And assuming the OP is talking about DSL, a filter would need to be on
    each phone line in the house / line.

    Evan Platt, Apr 23, 2009
  5. species8350

    thanatoid Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:31:47 -0700 (PDT), species8350
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I use dialup.
    >>
    >>The person who owns the house is going to introduce
    >>broadband.
    >>
    >>My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be
    >>able to use dialup?

    > Yes. Broadband is generally acquired from cable tv outlets
    > so the dialup, which uses phone lines, won't be affected.

    Where the hell did you get THAT? Phone companies do almost
    everything, and every person I know who was stupid enough to
    sign up for their cable TV provider's "phone, TV AND internet"
    package regrets it DEEPLY.

    OP: Most ISP, when you sign up for BB, vapoirize your dial up
    conectoiion at the same time.

    But you can connect as many computers to your BB router as you
    want.

    If you want /both/ Dial UP and BB (WHY?) you probably will have
    to get a second phone line.

    <SNIP>

    >>Could we both use the broadband connection at the same
    >>time?

    > With a router.

    I've never seen a BB connection WITHOUT a router in the house
    (yours or the neighbor's)...

    --
    (Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
    I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with

    thanatoid, Apr 23, 2009
  6. species8350

    PeeCee Guest

    "species8350" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use dialup.
    >
    > The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >
    > My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    > dialup?

    *********************
    Yes, probably.

    > If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?

    *********************************
    Yes, with the owners permission of course.

    > Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

    Yes, unless it's a service that is tied to a particular machine.

    snip

    Because you have not given details of the broadband provider and the method
    of broadband delivery some of the yes's may not apply.
    For example is the house owner going to continue the present phone service,
    or change over to naked DSL with VOIP phone service?

    In a 'typical' ADSL broadband installation the broadband signal is provided
    over the telephone lines and is seperated from the phones in the customers
    home by adding filters to the line to split broadband from POTS (plain old
    telephone system)
    Because the POTS service is still provided a dial up modem will still work
    (as will a fax) provided a dial up account with an ISP is available.
    Often when a customer converts to Broadband their previous dial up access
    stops or goes into a prepay/pay as you go model.
    If you were using your landlords dial up account then you may not be able to
    dial up.
    However if you are dialing up to your own dial up account then the only
    restriction is if the other members of the household get the pricker because
    you are tying up the phone line.

    On the broadband side most ADSL broadband is terminated in the home with an
    ADSL Modem / Router combination device.
    The output from this Modem/Router is usually a standard RJ45 LAN connection
    and by plugging a LAN 'Switch' into this outlet any number of computers can
    connect to the broadband.
    You can also plug in a Wireless LAN access point for computers to connect
    via WiFi.
    A lot of the Modem / Routers available today include all of these features
    and have the connection to the broadband signal, 4 RJ45 LAN sockets and a
    WiFi LAN connection all built into the one box.
    The only 'gotcha' for this connectability is when you plug 6 PC's in and all
    start downloading movies at once. naturally the speed to each PC will
    suffer.
    There is also the issue of how much you contribute to the cost of getting
    the broadband, something only you and your landlord can work out.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 23, 2009
  7. species8350

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    species8350 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use dialup.
    >
    > The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >
    > My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    > dialup?

    Yes

    > If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?

    Yes

    > Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

    Yes

    > Thanks

    You are welcome

    > PS. UK Resident

    Me2

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 23, 2009
  8. species8350

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:31:47 -0700 (PDT), species8350
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I use dialup.
    >>
    >> The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >>
    >> My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    >> dialup?

    > Yes. Broadband is generally acquired from cable tv outlets so the
    > dialup, which uses phone lines, won't be affected.

    DOH! Broadband and in particular ADSL is delivered over a phone line.

    >> If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?

    > At seperate times.

    Heard of router?

    >> Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

    > With a router.

    I see you have...

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 23, 2009
  9. species8350

    catchme Guest

    species8350 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use dialup.
    >
    > The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >
    > My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    > dialup?
    >
    > If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?
    >
    > Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > PS. UK Resident

    most certainly.
    possibly.
    again, possibly.
    you are welcome.

    catchme, Apr 23, 2009
  10. species8350

    catchme Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > Well if it's anything like CanaDUH you need dial-up to "fall back on"
    > because broadband is among the worst in the entire world.

    not exactly true.
    Broadband IS faster than dialup, and I believe that in the UK they pay
    for their dialup by the minute, same as their phone service?

    By the way, US and Canada are about the same in terms of connection
    speed, but everyone is way behind Japan!

    catchme, Apr 23, 2009
  11. species8350

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:07:31 -0700, catchme wrote:

    > in the UK they pay for
    > their dialup by the minute,

    Some do, most don't.

    > same as their phone service?

    We pay a flat monthly rate of about twenty-five quid to Virgin Media for
    unlimited mainland UK calls. If any call goes over sixty minutes, a
    normal by-the-minute charge comes into play. So at fifty-nine minutes
    it's always a good idea to hang up and call the number back. :)

    Aardvark, Apr 23, 2009
  12. species8350

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 03:53:49 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > richard <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:31:47 -0700 (PDT), species8350
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I use dialup.
    >>>
    >>>The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >>>
    >>>My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    >>>dialup?

    >> Yes. Broadband is generally acquired from cable tv outlets so the
    >> dialup, which uses phone lines, won't be affected.

    > Where the hell did you get THAT? Phone companies do almost everything,
    > and every person I know who was stupid enough to sign up for their cable
    > TV provider's "phone, TV AND internet" package regrets it DEEPLY.

    It tends to be the norm here in the UK and I can't say I've heard anyone
    complaining. We're perfectly happy with our package.

    > OP: Most ISP, when you sign up for BB, vapoirize your dial up
    > conectoiion at the same time.

    If I wanted to I could set up a dial-up connection on any of the machines
    in the house, but with our BB service being up in excess of 99% of the
    time (and I'm talking about just about 100%, I think it went down for an
    hour or so very late one night) why would I want to?

    > But you can connect as many computers to your BB router as you want.
    >
    > If you want /both/ Dial UP and BB (WHY?) you probably will have to get a
    > second phone line.

    Well, it would make it more convenient if one wants to make telephone
    calls whilst surfing on dial-up, but I agree with you - I can't think of
    any reason to have both BB and dial-up.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>>Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

    >> With a router.

    > I've never seen a BB connection WITHOUT a router in the house (yours or
    > the neighbor's)...

    Until we got more than one computer in the house we had no need
    whatsoever for a router, and so didn't have one. The cable modem sufficed
    until then.

    Aardvark, Apr 23, 2009
  13. species8350

    thanatoid Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Until we got more than one computer in the house we had no
    > need whatsoever for a router, and so didn't have one. The
    > cable modem sufficed until then.

    My ISP seems to be confused as to the proper terminology and
    unfortunately that kind of thing rubs off sometimes.
    Cable modem is what I meant.

    thanatoid, Apr 23, 2009
  14. species8350

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > species8350 <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I use dialup.
    >>
    >> The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >>
    >> My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    >> dialup?
    >>
    >> If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?
    >>
    >> Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > with ADSL - which uses the phone line, you just don't take off the filter
    > before the computer to use normal dial=up. If you want to use Broadband,
    > you take it out.

    Idiot.

    Desk Rabbit, Apr 24, 2009
  15. species8350

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:29:08 +0000, chuckcar writ:

    > with ADSL - which uses the phone line, you just don't take off the
    > filter before the computer to use normal dial=up. If you want to use
    > Broadband, you take it out.

    with Broadband - If you want which uses the computer to use normal just
    don't take off the phone line, you filter ADSL before the dial=up to use,
    you take it out.

    Makes about as much sense.
    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

    freemont, Apr 25, 2009
  16. species8350

    chuckcar Guest

    freemont <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 02:29:08 +0000, chuckcar writ:
    >>>

    >> with ADSL - which uses the phone line, you just don't take off the
    >> filter before the computer to use normal dial=up. If you want to use
    >> Broadband, you take it out.

    > with Broadband - If you want which uses the computer to use normal just
    > don't take off the phone line, you filter ADSL before the dial=up to
    > use, you take it out.
    >
    > Makes about as much sense.

    Only to you.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 25, 2009
  17. species8350

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:31:47 -0700 (PDT), species8350 <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I use dialup.
    >
    >The person who owns the house is going to introduce broadband.
    >
    >My question is: If broadband is introduced will I still be able to use
    >dialup?
    >
    >If I want to, could I use the broadband connection as well?
    >
    >Could we both use the broadband connection at the same time?

    Yes to all.

    >Thanks
    >
    >PS. UK Resident

    Barry