    lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?

    Cheers Dan :)
    Dan, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Dan

    Shane Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    > works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    > of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    > etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    > thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    > lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    > or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?
    >
    > Cheers Dan :)

    Firstly
    I use an extension cord from the phone jack in one room to the computers in
    another room without issue (and have done so for the last 12 months).

    Secondly
    Which router/modem are you using?
    If you have one of those DSL302G giveaway router/modems you can create a log
    of events by connecting to port23 (telnet) of the router and logging the
    output.
    You do not need to login to the router to get the output, its dumped
    directly there by the router for the first person to connect :)
    (Presumably other modem/routers have a log or dump one you can access)

    Thirdly
    Which ISP are you with? (I note you are currently in the 125. naughtyboys
    bin)
    Shane, Feb 8, 2007

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    snip

    Just using a DSL-302G that xtra give ya when use change from dail up
    to broadband.
    Im with xtra
    And what is 125. naughtyboys bin? ( am i doing something bad that i
    dont know about)
    Dan, Feb 8, 2007
  4. Dan

    Shane Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > snip
    >
    > Just using a DSL-302G that xtra give ya when use change from dail up
    > to broadband.
    > Im with xtra
    > And what is 125. naughtyboys bin? ( am i doing something bad that i
    > dont know about)

    125. group of IP's where people get put (I think) when they have downloaded
    more than the "Fair Use" policy allows

    Telnet your router and read what gets spammed back at you.
    Shane, Feb 8, 2007
  5. Dan

    Bobs Guest

    On Feb 8, 5:18 pm, "Dan" <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    > works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    > of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    > etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    > thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    > lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    > or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?
    >
    > Cheers Dan :)

    Have you got a monitored alarm?
    Bobs, Feb 8, 2007
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    On Feb 8, 6:24 pm, "Bobs" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 8, 5:18 pm, "Dan" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > > I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    > > works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    > > of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    > > etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    > > thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    > > lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    > > or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?

    > > Cheers Dan :)

    > Have you got a monitored alarm?

    If you're going to break into my house and steal all my old and
    worthless stuff then the answer is yes and a big ugly dog that only
    eats JAFFAS and WESTIES. If you're asking because it has something to
    do with my problem then no I haven't. The dog does the trick for the
    local crocks. It is on the same jack as the sky decoder though.

    Cheers Dan :)
    Dan, Feb 8, 2007
  7. Dan

    Dan Guest

    On Feb 8, 6:08 pm, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    > > snip

    > > Just using a DSL-302G that xtra give ya when use change from dail up
    > > to broadband.
    > > Im with xtra
    > > And what is 125. naughtyboys bin? ( am i doing something bad that i
    > > dont know about)

    > 125. group of IP's where people get put (I think) when they have downloaded
    > more than the "Fair Use" policy allows
    >
    > Telnet your router and read what gets spammed back at you.

    Do what to who? lol

    Cheers Dan:)
    Dan, Feb 8, 2007
  8. Dan <> wrote:

    > Hi all
    > I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    > works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    > of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    > etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    > thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    > lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    > or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?
    >
    > Cheers Dan :)

    What ISP are you using? What type of broadband? ADSL? If so - what model
    ADSL modem/router are you using? How is that connected to your computer
    (USB? Ethernet?)... which is a Mac? a PC? Running what OS? Have you
    tried calling up your ISP? Having Telecom run a line test? I can tell
    you from personal experience I've had no trouble using phone extension
    cords with ADSL. However it couldn't hurt to try plugging directly into
    the jackpoint or swapping out the cables to see if it's their fault.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Feb 8, 2007
  9. Dan

    Rebel Lion Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > If you're going to break into my house and steal all my old and
    > worthless stuff then the answer is yes and a big ugly dog that only
    > eats JAFFAS and WESTIES. If you're asking because it has something to
    > do with my problem then no I haven't. The dog does the trick for the
    > local crocks. It is on the same jack as the sky decoder though.

    Have a look inside the jack, is there moisture or green stuff on the
    wires ? This can be a problem esp with floor level jacks. One of ours used
    to get damp and cause this sort of problem when we had dial up. I fixed it
    by putting one of those dessicant packets you get in shoes and things
    inside the jack-box.
    NOt sure about the decoder, try disconnecting it from the point and see.
    Rebel Lion, Feb 8, 2007
  10. Dan

    Guest

    On 7 Feb 2007 20:18:41 -0800, "Dan" <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    > I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    >works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    >of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    >etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    >thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    >lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    >or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?
    >
    >Cheers Dan :)

    Hi Dan
    Heres a few things to try
    1, Make sure you have filters for all your phones
    2, If using the extn cord Try a phone on it to see if its got good
    dial tone and make sure there is no filter between the jackpoint end
    and the start of the extn cord as the normal plug on the filter stops
    the adsl signal going thru the cord Also I would leave the sky line
    cord unplugged
    3,Go into the router By going to browser and typing 10.1.1.1 Username
    is admin password is admin Go to status then adsl to see connect
    rates Up on most xtra plans are 160 Down should be more than a meg
    or you may start to have reconnection problems
    4,When all else fails have a few drinks then give xtra a ring <hope
    you have a speaker phone and a good dvd>
    Other things it could be is a faulty router,adsl port or a
    cable/distance problem <has it worked fine before?>

    Good luck
    -Paul
    , Feb 8, 2007
  11. "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    > works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    > of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    > etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    > thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    > lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    > or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?
    >
    > Cheers Dan :)

    Sounds exactly like what I went through a couple of months ago.
    To solve, ring Telecom 123. Tell them you're getting intermittent line noise
    that coincides with connection loss.
    Also tell them you've been through the trouble shooting with your ISP, and
    no fault was found.
    They'll send out a tech who will compile his report which in my case he said
    would read... "No fault found. Connection most likely dropping out due to
    overloading".
    From that night on I haven't had any problems at all, and can remain
    connected for weeks. I dunno but maybe they can implement QOS on your line
    at the exchange.

    J&H.
    Jekyll and Hyde, Feb 8, 2007
  12. Dan

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:32:32 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >> I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    >> works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    >> of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    >> etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    >> thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    >> lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension
    >> or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?
    >>
    >> Cheers Dan :)

    > Firstly
    > I use an extension cord from the phone jack in one room to the computers in
    > another room without issue (and have done so for the last 12 months).

    [remainder snipped]

    However, I have had an ADSL problem in the past where eliminating
    the long phone extension cord fixed the problem.

    It always pays to eliminate as many "possibly suspect" items as possible
    to minimise the possible causes. Even it it involves moving the whole
    computer to try this.

    You can't prove that the extension cord is OK if the whole system is not
    functioning correctly.

    Murray.
    Murray Symon, Feb 8, 2007
  13. Dan

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-08, Dan <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    > I have and very annoying problem with my broadband connection it
    > works fine for about 5 minutes them I lose the connection for a couple
    > of minutes then it comes back again. A pain when trying to download
    > etc. Has any one else stuck this? If so how did you fix it? The only
    > thing I thought it might be is I am running off a phone extension
    > lead not direct into the jack, is there a proper broad band extension

    cat5 cable works well (you'd need to get one with odd plugs though)
    but you're best served by putting the modem closer to the phone
    socket, unless it's internal or usb.

    > or do I have to get another jack put in close to comp?

    may help, may not.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 8, 2007
  14. Dan

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-08, <> wrote:
    > On 7 Feb 2007 20:18:41 -0800, "Dan" <> wrote:

    > 1, Make sure you have filters for all your phones

    and the sky box. fax machine, answering machine, and any other hardware
    that connects to the phone line except the DSL modem.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 10, 2007
  15. Dan

    Dan Guest

    On Feb 10, 8:44 pm, jasen <> wrote:
    > On 2007-02-08, <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 7 Feb 2007 20:18:41 -0800, "Dan" <> wrote:
    > > 1, Make sure you have filters for all your phones

    > and the sky box. fax machine, answering machine, and any other hardware
    > that connects to the phone line except the DSL modem.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Thanks all