    the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.

    If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"

    As you can see, I have little else to do. ;)
    none, Apr 24, 2006

  2. none

    Lee Donaghy Guest

    In article <>, none <> writes
    >shit.
    >
    >They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    >the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    >
    >If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"
    >
    >As you can see, I have little else to do. ;)

    Both are common but pronounced differently.
    Shite sounds like height with a S at the start, i would consider shite
    to be a less vulgar form of shit.

    --
    Lee Donaghy
    lee295012@SPAM_ME_NOTyahoo.com
    Lee Donaghy, Apr 24, 2006

  3. none

    Stubbo_of_Oz Guest

    On 24 Apr 2006 05:54:15 GMT, none <> wrote:

    >shit.
    >
    >They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    >the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    >
    >If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"
    >
    >As you can see, I have little else to do. ;)

    Shite is pronounced to rhyme with fight

    They also use shit

    Maybe they think shite is less offensive :)

    --
    Stubbo of Oz
    Stubbo_of_Oz, Apr 24, 2006
  4. none

    Dan Evans Guest

    "none" <> wrote in message news:...
    > shit.
    >
    > They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    > the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    >
    > If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"

    We have "shat" as well. Anyway, in my area as a kid, "shit" falls our of
    your arse, "shite" is something that is not very good, eg

    "Mind that dog shit" (or "dog skate")
    "I shat my pants"
    "That film was shite"

    HTH

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 24, 2006
  5. none

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, none says...
    > shit.
    >
    > They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    > the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    >
    > If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"
    >
    > As you can see, I have little else to do. ;)

    pronounced

    shy-te

    it isn't a direct substitution for shit either. A Briton rarely says
    "I'm going for a shite"

    Shite is used more as an insult (a load of shite) than a noun.

    FR
    Flying Rat, Apr 24, 2006
  6. none

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya none.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    > the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    > If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"

    Shit and shite are pronounced differently even though they mean the same
    thing. Add the extra e and the i "says its name" (eye), ie sh-eye-t.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Apr 24, 2006
  7. none

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <33zipfn8xzn6$>, Ponder says...
    > Hiya none.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    > > They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    > > the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    > > If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"

    > Shit and shite are pronounced differently even though they mean the same
    > thing. Add the extra e and the i "says its name" (eye), ie sh-eye-t.

    talking shite again I see....
    Flying Rat, Apr 24, 2006
  8. none

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Apr 24, 2006
  9. "none" <> wrote in message news:...
    > shit.
    >
    > They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    > the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    >
    > If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"
    >
    > As you can see, I have little else to do. ;)

    No shit?

    Seriously though, you've got it all wrong. "Shit" or "Shite" can both be
    completely replaced and pronounced as "Texas". ;-)

    --
    <<< Unlock Your Phone's Potential >>>
    <<< www.uselessinfo.org.uk >>>
    Richard_Colton, Apr 24, 2006
  10. none

    Maurice Guest

    Shite is German (it says in Darwin's Origin of the Faeces)!

    Shite, like most German swear words, can be spat out with greater venom than
    the shorter "shit", hence its popularity here by the great uncouth.

    Maurice, Apr 24, 2006
  11. none

    and3w Guest

    "SHITE" tends to be the Irish way of saying "shit" and, as stated before, is
    seen as a (slightly) less offensive way of saying "shit"
    Shit rhymes with tit
    Shite rhymes with tight.

    And, yes, either can easily and correctly be pronounced "United States of
    America". :)

    and3w, Apr 24, 2006
  12. none

    mamamia Guest

    and3w wrote:
    > "SHITE" tends to be the Irish way of saying "shit" and, as stated before, is
    > seen as a (slightly) less offensive way of saying "shit"
    > Shit rhymes with tit
    > Shite rhymes with tight.
    >
    > And, yes, either can easily and correctly be pronounced "United States of
    > America". :)

    But the US is not the ones who shit on their fiber optic broadband lines...
    http://news.com.com/U.K. firm pushe...034_3-6064133.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e703
    LOL ;-)

    mamamia, Apr 24, 2006
  13. none

    beenthere Guest

    "mamamia" <> wrote in message
    > and3w wrote:
    >> "SHITE" tends to be the Irish way of saying "shit" and, as stated before,
    >> is seen as a (slightly) less offensive way of saying "shit"
    >> Shit rhymes with tit
    >> Shite rhymes with tight.
    >>
    >> And, yes, either can easily and correctly be pronounced "United States of
    >> America". :)

    > But the US is not the ones who shit on their fiber optic broadband
    > lines...
    > http://news.com.com/U.K. firm pushe...034_3-6064133.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e703
    > LOL ;-)

    I`ve just plugged my modem into the socket on the side of
    my toilet bowl, and it works Perfectly <g>.
    beenthere, Apr 24, 2006
  14. none

    pandamonium Guest

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:11:51 GMT, beenthere wrote:

    > "mamamia" <> wrote in message
    >> and3w wrote:
    >>> "SHITE" tends to be the Irish way of saying "shit" and, as stated before,
    >>> is seen as a (slightly) less offensive way of saying "shit"
    >>> Shit rhymes with tit
    >>> Shite rhymes with tight.
    >>>
    >>> And, yes, either can easily and correctly be pronounced "United States of
    >>> America". :)

    >> But the US is not the ones who shit on their fiber optic broadband
    >> lines...
    >> http://news.com.com/U.K. firm pushe...034_3-6064133.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e703
    >> LOL ;-)
    >>

    > I`ve just plugged my modem into the socket on the side of
    > my toilet bowl, and it works Perfectly <g>.

    Hmmm. I tried that and got a cistern error.

    --
    All replies to above email address are delivered to /dev/null
    If you really want to email me, replace nospam with liam
    pandamonium, Apr 24, 2006
  15. none

    beenthere Guest

    "pandamonium" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:11:51 GMT, beenthere wrote:
    >
    >> "mamamia" <> wrote in message

    >>> But the US is not the ones who shit on their fiber optic broadband
    >>> lines...
    >>> http://news.com.com/U.K. firm pushe...034_3-6064133.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e703
    >>> LOL ;-)
    >>>

    >> I`ve just plugged my modem into the socket on the side of
    >> my toilet bowl, and it works Perfectly <g>.

    > Hmmm. I tried that and got a cistern error.

    As this post started...Oh shite <g>.
    beenthere, Apr 24, 2006
  16. none

    phrogee Guest

    > "none" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> shit.
    >>
    >> They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    >> the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    >>
    >> If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"
    >>
    >> As you can see, I have little else to do. ;)

    > No shit?
    >
    > Seriously though, you've got it all wrong. "Shit" or "Shite" can both be
    > completely replaced and pronounced as "Texas". ;-)

    And "Texas" can be pronounced as "Mexas" or "Texaco".
    phrogee, Apr 24, 2006
  17. none

    Dan Evans Guest

    "mamamia" <> wrote in message
    > and3w wrote:
    >> "SHITE" tends to be the Irish way of saying "shit" and, as stated before,
    >> is seen as a (slightly) less offensive way of saying "shit"
    >> Shit rhymes with tit
    >> Shite rhymes with tight.
    >>
    >> And, yes, either can easily and correctly be pronounced "United States of
    >> America". :)

    > But the US is not the ones who shit on their fiber optic broadband
    > lines...
    > http://news.com.com/U.K. firm pushe...034_3-6064133.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e703

    Paris has been doing it for years. It's done to make US traffic feel at home
    and stop munking about no one speaking English.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 24, 2006
  18. none

    Hungerdunger Guest

    "pandamonium" <> wrote in message

    >> I`ve just plugged my modem into the socket on the side of
    >> my toilet bowl, and it works Perfectly <g>.

    > Hmmm. I tried that and got a cistern error.

    Did you faucet?
    --
    Hungerdunger
    To reply by email, remove the MARX from my address
    Hungerdunger, Apr 24, 2006
  19. none

    sam Guest

    none wrote:
    > shit.
    >
    > They spell it "shite." Now, my schooling tells me that putting an "e" on
    > the end of a word makes the previous vowel a long vowel.
    >
    > If they say "shit" like we do, why do they spell it "shite?"
    >
    > As you can see, I have little else to do. ;)

    "Shit" is a very ancient word.It is onomatopoetic, that is a sound
    associated
    with what is named.

    Hence it is one of the earliest words in primitive language.There was no
    "U" and "non-U" in those days. It is only when Society became hierarchical
    that the 'posh' people introduced changes ,and we, the hoi poloi,slavishly
    followed suit, as we still do to this day.

    So say SHIT to indicate you are from a longer lineage than they are.

    Sam
    sam, Apr 25, 2006
  20. none

    SEYMOUR Guest

    i think shite is used by scottish drunks when talking about anything to do
    with australia ans is pronounced shyyyyt

    shit on the other hand is the accepted adjective in england when talking
    about anything australian--ie fosters is shit
    shayne warne is shit---lets all shit on ayres rock because its shit--the
    reason the australians have xxxx is because they cant spell shit lager

    SEYMOUR, Apr 26, 2006