British movies on dvd

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. From a British website I read, it seems that Carlton (or whatever it's called)
    and another company have gobbled up most of the British rights to most of the
    British theatrical movie releases and tv shows.

    sorry, forgot the website url.

    Also forgot the name of the other company.
     
    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 11 Aug 2004, Waterperson77 wrote:

    > From a British website I read, it seems that Carlton (or whatever it's called)
    > and another company have gobbled up most of the British rights to most of the
    > British theatrical movie releases and tv shows.


    Yep, that was one I was going to mention, I have a Carlton double-DVD of
    the Will Hay comedies OH MR. PORTER and CONVICT 99. It's one of the
    reasons I got a multi-region/format player, since I doubt it'll show up on
    a North American disc any time soon. I also have a DVD of
    Powell-Pressburger's A CANTERBURY TALE, and I believe it's a Carlton DVD
    as well.

    Any other suggestions of UK-only titles worth getting?

    swac
     
    Stephen Cooke, Aug 11, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. oh mr porter,,,classic. i also love the crazy gang !

    "Stephen Cooke" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >
    > On 11 Aug 2004, Waterperson77 wrote:
    >
    > > From a British website I read, it seems that Carlton (or whatever it's

    called)
    > > and another company have gobbled up most of the British rights to most

    of the
    > > British theatrical movie releases and tv shows.

    >
    > Yep, that was one I was going to mention, I have a Carlton double-DVD of
    > the Will Hay comedies OH MR. PORTER and CONVICT 99. It's one of the
    > reasons I got a multi-region/format player, since I doubt it'll show up on
    > a North American disc any time soon. I also have a DVD of
    > Powell-Pressburger's A CANTERBURY TALE, and I believe it's a Carlton DVD
    > as well.
    >
    > Any other suggestions of UK-only titles worth getting?
    >
    > swac
    >
     
    howie feltersnatch, Aug 11, 2004
    #3
  4. Waterperson77

    P Pron Guest

    Stephen Cooke <> wrote:
    > On 11 Aug 2004, Waterperson77 wrote:
    >
    >> From a British website I read, it seems that Carlton (or
    >> whatever it's called) and another company have gobbled up most
    >> of the British rights to most of the British theatrical movie
    >> releases and tv shows.

    >
    > Yep, that was one I was going to mention, I have a Carlton
    > double-DVD of
    > the Will Hay comedies OH MR. PORTER and CONVICT 99. It's one of
    > the
    > reasons I got a multi-region/format player, since I doubt it'll
    > show up on
    > a North American disc any time soon. I also have a DVD of
    > Powell-Pressburger's A CANTERBURY TALE, and I believe it's a
    > Carlton DVD
    > as well.
    >
    > Any other suggestions of UK-only titles worth getting?
    >
    > swac


    Carlton don't seem to have their own online catalogue at the moment,
    but try
    http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simple...evel=0&pGroupID=-1&pGenreID=-1&pTertiaryID=-1
    which brings up a lot of Carlton titles. Their older stuff (as you've
    already seen) is streets ahead of the average PD release, presumably
    because they own the old J.Arthur Rank film library. Not quite
    Criterion - they don't do frame-by-frame restoration - but eminently
    watchable....

    paul
     
    P Pron, Aug 11, 2004
    #4
  5. Waterperson77

    P Pron Guest

    P Pron <> wrote:
    > Stephen Cooke <> wrote:
    >> On 11 Aug 2004, Waterperson77 wrote:
    >>
    >>> From a British website I read, it seems that Carlton (or
    >>> whatever it's called) and another company have gobbled up most
    >>> of the British rights to most of the British theatrical movie
    >>> releases and tv shows.

    >>
    >> Yep, that was one I was going to mention, I have a Carlton
    >> double-DVD of
    >> the Will Hay comedies OH MR. PORTER and CONVICT 99. It's one of
    >> the
    >> reasons I got a multi-region/format player, since I doubt it'll
    >> show up on
    >> a North American disc any time soon. I also have a DVD of
    >> Powell-Pressburger's A CANTERBURY TALE, and I believe it's a
    >> Carlton DVD
    >> as well.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions of UK-only titles worth getting?
    >>
    >> swac

    >
    > Carlton don't seem to have their own online catalogue at the
    > moment,
    > but try
    >

    http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simple...evel=0&pGroupID=-1&pGenreID=-1&pTertiaryID=-1
    > which brings up a lot of Carlton titles. Their older stuff (as
    > you've
    > already seen) is streets ahead of the average PD release,
    > presumably
    > because they own the old J.Arthur Rank film library. Not quite
    > Criterion - they don't do frame-by-frame restoration - but
    > eminently
    > watchable....
    >
    > paul


    Oops the link doesn't seem to work !! If you want to investigate,
    search for 39 Steps dvd on www.hmv.co.uk then click on "more" then on
    "Carlton" - 277 DVD titles should come up

    paul
     
    P Pron, Aug 11, 2004
    #5
  6. >> Any other suggestions of UK-only titles worth getting?
    >>


    I couldn't post this in reply to the original because of a problem with my
    computer.

    This isn't a Carlton disc, and it isn't a movie, but for a comedy, it is a UK
    title that I recommend, "The Goodies" starring Bill Oddie, Graham Garden, and
    Tim-Brooke-Taylor".

    I think the British disc has eight episodes on it.

    Of course, it might not be your cup of tea.

    but it's definitely mine.

    I would have bought the disc myself, but I currently have much more important
    and much more pressing matters to attend to.
     
    Waterperson77, Aug 11, 2004
    #6
  7. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, P Pron wrote:

    > Oops the link doesn't seem to work !! If you want to investigate,
    > search for 39 Steps dvd on www.hmv.co.uk then click on "more" then on
    > "Carlton" - 277 DVD titles should come up


    Lessee what they got...

    49th Parallel (what are the odds this'll come out here eventually?)
    Peter Sellers box (Wrong Arm of the Law, Don't Let Go, Waltz of the
    Toreadors, Soft Beds Hard Battles)
    Complete Prisoner (screw you, A&E!)
    Morcambe and Wise box (I'm curious...but I don't need to own it)
    Genevieve (I've heard this is fun)
    Saturn 3 (...the hell?)
    Terry Thomas box (whoa!)
    Ill Met By Moonlight (always wanted to see this)
    AFRICAN QUEEN?

    AND

    Bugsy Malone: Deluxe Edition! Yikes.

    Searching for a few other titles, I see These Are The Damned has NOT
    appeared on DVD in England yet.

    But BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN has! I know if I order it, a North American
    release will be announced immediately afterward, so maybe I should do it
    for the good of mankind.

    swac
    And there's a Goodies CD...with the seasonal hits Don't Touch Me Father
    Christmas and Make a Daft Noise For Christmas...a must have!
     
    Stephen Cooke, Aug 12, 2004
    #7
  8. Waterperson77 wrote:

    > Of course, it might not be your cup of tea.
    >
    > but it's definitely mine.
    >
    > I would have bought the disc myself, but I currently have much more important
    > and much more pressing matters to attend to.


    Let us hope they also prevent you from posting day and night.

    Derek Janssen (maybe a PDA organizer would help)
     
    Derek Janssen, Aug 12, 2004
    #8
  9. arthur askey Ghost Train another classic comedy. i have an excellent vhs to
    dvd copy

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    news:411a9c0b$0$5922$...
    > Waterperson77 wrote:
    >
    > > Of course, it might not be your cup of tea.
    > >
    > > but it's definitely mine.
    > >
    > > I would have bought the disc myself, but I currently have much more

    important
    > > and much more pressing matters to attend to.

    >
    > Let us hope they also prevent you from posting day and night.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (maybe a PDA organizer would help)
    >
    >
     
    howie feltersnatch, Aug 12, 2004
    #9
  10. Waterperson77

    jayembee Guest

    Stephen Cooke <> wrote:

    > Lessee what they got...
    >
    > 49th Parallel (what are the odds this'll come out here eventually?)

    [rest snip]

    Depends on whether Criterion still has the rights (they released
    it on laserdisc).

    Olivier as a Canuck trapper has to be seen (or, more appropriately,
    heard) to be believed.

    -- jayembee
     
    jayembee, Aug 13, 2004
    #10
  11. On 13 Aug 2004, jayembee wrote:

    > Stephen Cooke <> wrote:
    >
    > > Lessee what they got...
    > >
    > > 49th Parallel (what are the odds this'll come out here eventually?)

    > [rest snip]
    >
    > Depends on whether Criterion still has the rights (they released
    > it on laserdisc).


    Hmmm...I don't know who else would release it...perhaps Kino? They've put
    out some other Powell/Pressburger stuff, as has Milestone.

    > Olivier as a Canuck trapper has to be seen (or, more appropriately,
    > heard) to be believed.


    Definitely an unforgettable cinematic moment. I was able to see a
    beautiful 35mm print of this when there was that touring batch of P/P
    films, with Pressburger's daughter in attendance, and they showed it
    matted at 1.85:1! Horrors...

    swac
     
    Stephen Cooke, Aug 13, 2004
    #11
  12. Waterperson77

    Steve Crook Guest

    Stephen Cooke <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 11 Aug 2004, Waterperson77 wrote:
    >
    > > From a British website I read, it seems that Carlton (or whatever it's called)
    > > and another company have gobbled up most of the British rights to most of the
    > > British theatrical movie releases and tv shows.

    >
    > Yep, that was one I was going to mention, I have a Carlton double-DVD of
    > the Will Hay comedies OH MR. PORTER and CONVICT 99. It's one of the
    > reasons I got a multi-region/format player, since I doubt it'll show up on
    > a North American disc any time soon. I also have a DVD of
    > Powell-Pressburger's A CANTERBURY TALE, and I believe it's a Carlton DVD
    > as well.
    >
    > Any other suggestions of UK-only titles worth getting?
    >
    > swac


    Well as you've got "A Canterbury Tale" (1944), what about a few other
    Powell & Pressburger titles that have been released on Region 2 DVD
    but haven't yet been released on Region 1.

    Like "A Matter of Life and Death" (1946) [sometimes still known as
    "Stairway to Heaven" in the Americas] although that should be due out
    on Region 1 soon.

    Or "The Small Back Room" (1949) a British noir starring David Farrar
    and Kathleen Byron. You admired them so much in "Black Narcissus", see
    them together again.

    Or "Gone to Earth" (1950) with Jennifer Jones starring as the wild
    Shropshire lass. Based on the Mary webb novel, the Region 2 DVD is a
    beautifully restored version.

    Or "The Battle of the River Plate" (1956) [aka "Pursuit of the Graf
    Spee"]. That's the River Plate in South America, not the River Platte.
    It's not a Western :)

    Or "Ill Met by Moonlight" (1957) with Dirk Bogarde in a wartime
    adventure (based on a true story) in Crete.

    Steve

    Steve Crook
    The Powell and Pressburger Appreciation Society
    http://www.Powell-Pressburger.org
     
    Steve Crook, Aug 16, 2004
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. falsename
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    1,396
    Hendrik Maryns
    Dec 7, 2005
  2. Writer R5
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    472
    Writer R5
    Jan 6, 2004
  3. Justin
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    502
    Jay Stewart
    Jan 7, 2004
  4. Ablang
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,092
    Ablang
    Sep 14, 2005
  5. Steve
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    619
    Steve
    Apr 25, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page