    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what
    they want.
    Rob S, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Rob S

    thingy Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >
    > It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
    > for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run
    > Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
    > standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
    > both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware
    > upgrades affordable.

    MS hands out OS very cheap for Academics and students....however in a
    enterprise sense since a uni is not going to be thinking about rolling
    out Vista until next year.....its falling flat on its face.

    and yes it should be open format.....but then lots of organisations
    cannot think or dont want to think strategically so MS will sticth them
    up....of course if the Library owns the copyright, the DRM lockdown in
    Vista is exactly what they need/want.....in terms of public owned
    information, it should not be so locked down, however if the library is
    not adequately funded from the public purse the ability to recover money
    to view is well established....though un-ethical because the poor wont
    be able to access information and technology so their dis-advantage
    increases....so libraries (as an example) are caught between a rock and
    a hard place.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Rob S

    Earl Grey Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >
    > It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
    > for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run
    > Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
    > standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
    > both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware
    > upgrades affordable.

    Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance.

    FTA
    "The British Library has created an updated version of its application
    called "Turning the Pages" which allows people to browse parts of its
    150 million piece collection via a web browser. We heard how this works
    better using Vista."
    Earl Grey, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Rob S

    Earl Grey Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >>
    >> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
    >> for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you
    >> run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
    >> standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
    >> both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant
    >> hardware upgrades affordable.

    > MS hands out OS very cheap for Academics and students....however in a
    > enterprise sense since a uni is not going to be thinking about rolling
    > out Vista until next year.....its falling flat on its face.
    >
    > and yes it should be open format.....but then lots of organisations
    > cannot think or dont want to think strategically so MS will sticth them
    > up....of course if the Library owns the copyright, the DRM lockdown in
    > Vista is exactly what they need/want.....in terms of public owned
    > information, it should not be so locked down, however if the library is
    > not adequately funded from the public purse the ability to recover money
    > to view is well established....though un-ethical because the poor wont
    > be able to access information and technology so their dis-advantage
    > increases....so libraries (as an example) are caught between a rock and
    > a hard place.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    There is no mention of DRM.
    Here is the link in the article to the British Library site
    http://www.bl.uk/ttp2/ttp2.html
    To view on XP it just requires a .NET download.
    It looks like you all swallowed a Reg beat-up to me.
    Earl Grey, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Rob S

    impossible Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$...
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >
    > It seems the British Library is making available some original
    > prints for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only
    > if you run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a
    > more open standard? The target audience would mostly be academics
    > and students, both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any
    > concomitant hardware upgrades affordable.
    > --

    There are actually two collections that the Library is opening -- one
    that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The Library-owned
    collection is available for viewing on any OS that runs Shockwave. The
    Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is the one that only runs
    on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy having a look, I think --
    very nice feature.
    impossible, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >>
    >> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
    >> for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you
    >> run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open
    >> standard? The target audience would mostly be academics and students,
    >> both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any concomitant
    >> hardware upgrades affordable.

    > MS hands out OS very cheap for Academics and students....however in a
    > enterprise sense since a uni is not going to be thinking about rolling
    > out Vista until next year.....its falling flat on its face.
    >
    > and yes it should be open format.....but then lots of organisations
    > cannot think or dont want to think strategically so MS will sticth them
    > up....of course if the Library owns the copyright,

    I doubt they own the copyright on works by Leonardo da Vinci, and
    thinking it over, his notebooks are probably of interest to a far wider
    user-base than I first suggested, what with the success of "The da Vinci
    Code" book & movie.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Name one nice thing about Windows? It doesn't just crash, it displays a
    dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.
    Rob S, Jan 31, 2007
  7. Rob S

    Earl Grey Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$...
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >>
    >> It seems the British Library is making available some original
    >> prints for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only
    >> if you run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a
    >> more open standard? The target audience would mostly be academics
    >> and students, both of whom are less likely to find Vista and any
    >> concomitant hardware upgrades affordable.
    >> --

    > There are actually two collections that the Library is opening -- one
    > that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The Library-owned
    > collection is available for viewing on any OS that runs Shockwave. The
    > Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is the one that only runs
    > on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy having a look, I think --
    > very nice feature.

    <groan>
    Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to run it
    on XP ?
    Earl Grey, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Rob S

    impossible Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >>>
    >>> It seems the British Library is making available some original
    >>> prints for viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but
    >>> only if you run Vista. Shouldn't an institution like that adhere
    >>> to a more open standard? The target audience would mostly be
    >>> academics and students, both of whom are less likely to find Vista
    >>> and any concomitant hardware upgrades affordable.
    >>> --

    >> There are actually two collections that the Library is opening --
    >> one that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The
    >> Library-owned collection is available for viewing on any OS that
    >> runs Shockwave. The Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is
    >> the one that only runs on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy
    >> having a look, I think -- very nice feature.

    > <groan>
    > Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to run
    > it on XP ?

    I ran it on XP!
    impossible, Jan 31, 2007
  9. Rob S

    Earl Grey Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message

    >>> There are actually two collections that the Library is opening --
    >>> one that the Library owns and one that Bill Gates owns. The
    >>> Library-owned collection is available for viewing on any OS that
    >>> runs Shockwave. The Gates-owned collection (surprise! surprise!) is
    >>> the one that only runs on a Vista machine. Either way, well worthy
    >>> having a look, I think -- very nice feature.

    >> <groan>
    >> Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to run
    >> it on XP ?

    > I ran it on XP!

    So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista machine ?
    I expect the Bill Gates one is just a promotional deal, but there
    doesn't seem to be any Vista specific DRM issue in their on line
    displays at all, it doesn't say that they use Vista, it says that it can
    be viewed with Vista and I expect that that would mean that a Vista user
    would not have to download the .NET update.
    Earl Grey, Jan 31, 2007
  10. Rob S

    impossible Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message

    >>> <groan>
    >>> Will nobody actually read the page that describes what to do to
    >>> run it on XP ?

    >> I ran it on XP!

    > So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista
    > machine ?

    You're arguing with the wrong person. The point of my original post
    was to show that in fact Vista was _not_ required to view at least one
    of the collections, which is the one I looked at from XP via
    Shockwave. Thing is, I also have the .Net 3 update and I still can't
    view the other collection. Frankly, I can't be bothered
    troubleshooting this, because I've seen enough in Shockwave and, as I
    said, I'm impressed. But maybe you'd care to do something actually
    useful here and try viewing the second collection yourself on XP --
    I'd be pleased to see that it in fact works.
    impossible, Feb 1, 2007
  11. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message
    >> impossible wrote:
    >>> "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message

    >>> I ran it on XP!

    >> So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista
    >> machine ?

    > You're arguing with the wrong person. The point of my original post
    > was to show that in fact Vista was _not_ required to view at least one
    > of the collections, which is the one I looked at from XP via
    > Shockwave. Thing is, I also have the .Net 3 update and I still can't
    > view the other collection. Frankly, I can't be bothered
    > troubleshooting this, because I've seen enough in Shockwave and, as I
    > said, I'm impressed. But maybe you'd care to do something actually
    > useful here and try viewing the second collection yourself on XP --
    > I'd be pleased to see that it in fact works.

    I don't know about the diary that BG owns, but I managed to view the
    library's diary in Linux, using their Turning the Pages software. Quite
    impressive. Just a pity that it only works in IE, using unsigned
    active-x components. At least I presume they are unsigned, as I had to
    change security level to the lowest setting.

    If you're wondering, look for ies4linux in your repositories.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    The Windows98 Eveready Bunny: It's still loading, and loading...
    Rob S, Feb 1, 2007
  12. Rob S

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$...
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >
    > It seems the British Library is making available some original prints for
    > viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run Vista.
    > Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open standard? The
    > target audience would mostly be academics and students, both of whom are
    > less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware upgrades
    > affordable.
    > --
    >
    > Rob

    How can someone using Vista download Library files without a conflict of
    copyright.
    A Vista window should popup saying "No Can Do - Can't Access Any Copyright
    Material Of Any Kind".

    Could cause a conflict of Vista programming which just might cause it to
    self destruct, but only if Vista was a Dalek.
    LOL

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 1, 2007
  13. Rob S

    impossible Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message

    >>> So it would be incorrect to describe it as only running on a Vista
    >>> machine ?

    >> You're arguing with the wrong person. The point of my original post
    >> was to show that in fact Vista was _not_ required to view at least
    >> one of the collections, which is the one I looked at from XP via
    >> Shockwave. Thing is, I also have the .Net 3 update and I still
    >> can't view the other collection. Frankly, I can't be bothered
    >> troubleshooting this, because I've seen enough in Shockwave and, as
    >> I said, I'm impressed. But maybe you'd care to do something
    >> actually useful here and try viewing the second collection yourself
    >> on XP -- I'd be pleased to see that it in fact works.

    > I don't know about the diary that BG owns, but I managed to view the
    > library's diary in Linux, using their Turning the Pages software.
    > Quite impressive. Just a pity that it only works in IE, using
    > unsigned active-x components. At least I presume they are unsigned,
    > as I had to change security level to the lowest setting.

    Oh, well. If you can't trust the British Public Library, who can you
    trust :)
    impossible, Feb 1, 2007
  14. Rob S

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-01, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:

    > "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$...
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >>
    >> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints for
    >> viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run Vista.
    >> Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open standard? The
    >> target audience would mostly be academics and students, both of whom are
    >> less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware upgrades
    >> affordable.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Rob

    > How can someone using Vista download Library files without a conflict of
    > copyright.

    Davinci's been dead for hundreds of years!
    Copyright expires.

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Feb 1, 2007
  15. Rob S

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "jasen" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-02-01, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45c0f1b6$...
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/vinci_notebooks_vista/
    >>>
    >>> It seems the British Library is making available some original prints
    >>> for
    >>> viewing (in this case, two da Vinci notebooks), but only if you run
    >>> Vista.
    >>> Shouldn't an institution like that adhere to a more open standard? The
    >>> target audience would mostly be academics and students, both of whom are
    >>> less likely to find Vista and any concomitant hardware upgrades
    >>> affordable.
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> How can someone using Vista download Library files without a conflict of
    >> copyright.

    > Davinci's been dead for hundreds of years!
    > Copyright expires.
    > --
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    And the copyright on the more recent writings about DaVinci expires when
    exactly?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 2, 2007