British Isles worst place to live in Europe

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by StevieO, Nov 13, 2010.

  1. StevieO

    StevieO Guest

    "@u13g2000vbo.googlegroups.com...
    Hah! My decision to migrate from the UK has now been vindicated.

    Keep enjoying the nannying, legalistic welfare state shithole you've
    dug yourselves into, pedants, jobsworths, lefties and Communists
    alike.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8015743/British-Isles-worst-place-to-live-in-Europe.html

    British Isles 'worst place to live in Europe'
    The British Isles are the worst place to live in Europe, according to
    a new survey that claims residents endure higher prices, work harder
    and receive poorer public services than their counterparts on the
    continent.

    Britons pay more for food and fuel than other European citizens, while
    spending more time in the office per week and enjoying less sunshine.

    Their disposable income levels are also falling behind residents of
    other countries, and funding for health and education is below
    average.

    Only Ireland fares worse than Britain in an updated quality of life
    index for Europe compiled by uSwitch.com, as the republic has fewer
    hours of sunshine, a higher retirement age and lower public spending
    on essential services.

    Ann Robinson, Director of Consumer Policy at uSwitch.com, the price
    comparison website, said: “Last year compared with our European
    neighbours we were miserable but rich, this year we’re miserable and
    poor.

    “Whereas some countries work to live, UK consumers live to work. In
    fact we work harder, take less holiday and retire later than most of
    our European counterparts - but the high cost of living makes this a
    necessity rather than a choice.

    “With salaries failing to keep up with inflation, it’s likely that
    we’re a long way from achieving the quality of life that people in
    other countries enjoy.”

    Last year’s league table of 10 leading European economies - assessing
    income, prices, working culture and public spending – put Britain in
    last place.

    This year it has jumped above Ireland but in some respects Britons are
    now faring worse than residents of other countries.

    Britain now has the fourth-highest retirement age of any country –
    averaging 63.1 years – and is set to rise still higher.

    Net household income after tax, at £37,172 a year, is now lower than
    the amount earned in Ireland, the Netherlands and Denmark.

    This is likely to fall still further when VAT rises to 20 per cent in
    the New Year, while public services will suffer following next month’s
    Comprehensive Spending Review, which will lead to budget cuts of up to
    40 per cent in some Whitehall departments.

    France and Spain again topped the quality of life index, as workers
    there have more paid holidays, earlier retirement, lower prices,
    longer life expectancy and more sunshine.

    StevieO, Nov 13, 2010