Britain continues to chip away at people's privacy and rights

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Dec 3, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Dec 3, 2012

  2. RichA <> wrote:
    >Nothing is stated in this report as to warrants. I wonder if they are
    >in the bill?
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20579651?print=true

    Why the obsession with Britain, Rich?

    The ISPs will record date, time and address visited or to which email
    is sent. Similar legislation already applies to cell phone calls. The
    content of any message or file transfer is not recorded

    Public opinion seems neutral to supportive. The only people objecting
    strongly are those obsessed with the minutiae of legislation affecting
    civil liberties.
    Anthony Polson, Dec 4, 2012

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 12/4/2012 6:16 AM, Anthony Polson wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >> Nothing is stated in this report as to warrants. I wonder if they are
    >> in the bill?
    >>
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20579651?print=true

    > Why the obsession with Britain, Rich?
    >
    > The ISPs will record date, time and address visited or to which email
    > is sent. Similar legislation already applies to cell phone calls. The
    > content of any message or file transfer is not recorded
    >
    > Public opinion seems neutral to supportive. The only people objecting
    > strongly are those obsessed with the minutiae of legislation affecting
    > civil liberties.

    If civil liberties are not protected, they will be lost.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Dec 5, 2012
  4. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:31:38 AM UTC, PeterN wrote:
    > On 12/4/2012 6:16 AM, Anthony Polson wrote:
    >
    > > RichA <> wrote:

    > >> Nothing is stated in this report as to warrants. I wonder if they are

    > >> in the bill?

    > >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20579651?print=true

    > > Why the obsession with Britain, Rich?

    > > The ISPs will record date, time and address visited or to which email

    > > is sent. Similar legislation already applies to cell phone calls. The

    > > content of any message or file transfer is not recorded

    > > Public opinion seems neutral to supportive. The only people objecting

    > > strongly are those obsessed with the minutiae of legislation affecting

    > > civil liberties.

    > If civil liberties are not protected, they will be lost.

    Which civil liberties are likely to be lost here ?

    Whisky-dave, Dec 5, 2012
  5. RichA

    DanP Guest

    On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:12:41 -0800, RichA wrote:

    > Nothing is stated in this report as to warrants. I wonder if they are
    > in the bill?
    >
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20579651?print=true

    I coudn't care less. The only objection I would make if my actions were
    monitored by a police officer is he/she is wasting police time.

    I don't object to it like I don't object to having my face visible in
    public or having number plates on my car. It makes me easy to be traced,
    it does not mean I am actively traced (unless there is a reason).

    Stop being paranoid, relax and enjoy life, they will get you anyway when
    the time comes.

    DanP
    DanP, Dec 5, 2012

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention

    > Public opinion seems neutral to supportive.

    Based on which sources? Your one-sided reception of equally
    one-sided reporting?

    > The only people objecting
    > strongly are those obsessed with the minutiae of legislation affecting
    > civil liberties.

    You got that wrong. The people objecting strongly are those
    not believing that a government is always, automatically,
    the people's best friend and must never be doubted

    Then there are those who believe that data retention is
    a necessary evil, but that the length of the retention is
    too large.

    Far on the other side are the anti-terrorist-childpornography-
    "software and media 'piracy'" people who would rather abolish
    all essential freedom of others and make everyone transparent
    for a slightly more 'secure' life.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Dec 7, 2012