Britain bans HORRIBLY air-brushed ad featuring Julia Roberts

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 28, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jul 28, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/28/2011 10:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    > Disgusting (the photo work). WAY more than just airbrushing wrinkles
    > was done. Does this product get rid of bad face lifts, congenitally-
    > malformed lips and does it alter the jaw-line??!!
    >
    > From CNN:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/136780854
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/28/airbrushed.advertisements.ban/index.html?


    Misleading advertising? What rock have you been living under.


    BTW
    You have never answered my prior questions about your expertise and
    qualifications. Why am I not surprised.

    What rock have you

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Jul 28, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 28/07/2011 15:15, RichA wrote:
    > Disgusting (the photo work). WAY more than just airbrushing wrinkles
    > was done. Does this product get rid of bad face lifts, congenitally-
    > malformed lips and does it alter the jaw-line??!!
    >
    > From CNN:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/136780854
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/28/airbrushed.advertisements.ban/index.html?


    It's possibly worth noting that one of the ads was only successfully
    banned, at least in part, because the advertiser couldn't prove how much
    airbrushing had been done. This is a requirement of the UK Advertising
    Standards Agency during investigations when the public complain.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14304802

    --
    Andrew Brydon
    Life is just the beta-version of death
     
    Andrew Brydon, Jul 29, 2011
    #3
  4. RichA

    John A. Guest

    John A., Jul 29, 2011
    #4
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/28/2011 11:16 PM, Rich wrote:
    > trotsky<> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>> Disgusting (the photo work).

    >>
    >> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?
    >>

    >
    > "real good?" What English is that?


    More understandable than some of the statements you've made.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Jul 29, 2011
    #5
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 29, 8:11 am, Richard Brooks <>
    wrote:
    > Rich said the following on 29/07/2011 04:16:
    >
    > > trotsky<>  wrote in
    > >news::

    >
    > >> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    > >>> Disgusting (the photo work).

    >
    > >> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?

    >
    > > "real good?"  What English is that?

    >
    > American?


    Retarded.
     
    RichA, Jul 29, 2011
    #6
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 29, 8:21 am, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 7/28/2011 11:16 PM, Rich wrote:
    >
    > > trotsky<>  wrote in
    > >news::

    >
    > >> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    > >>> Disgusting (the photo work).

    >
    > >> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?

    >
    > > "real good?"  What English is that?

    >
    > More understandable than some of the statements you've made.
    >
    > --
    > Peter


    So, er, what did you think of the images? Or is that sticking too
    close to the subject for your comfort?
     
    RichA, Jul 29, 2011
    #7
  8. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/29/2011 8:48 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jul 29, 8:21 am, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 7/28/2011 11:16 PM, Rich wrote:
    >>
    >>> trotsky<> wrote in
    >>> news::

    >>
    >>>> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>>>> Disgusting (the photo work).

    >>
    >>>> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?

    >>
    >>> "real good?" What English is that?

    >>
    >> More understandable than some of the statements you've made.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >
    > So, er, what did you think of the images? Or is that sticking too
    > close to the subject for your comfort?


    Seems to me you changed the topic.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Jul 29, 2011
    #8
  9. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:20:04 -0500, trotsky <> wrote:

    >On 7/29/11 7:47 AM, RichA wrote:
    >> On Jul 29, 8:11 am, Richard Brooks<>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Rich said the following on 29/07/2011 04:16:
    >>>
    >>>> trotsky<> wrote in
    >>>> news::
    >>>
    >>>>> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>>>>> Disgusting (the photo work).
    >>>
    >>>>> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?
    >>>
    >>>> "real good?" What English is that?
    >>>
    >>> American?

    >>
    >> Retarded.

    >
    >
    >Cocksucker alert.


    ITYM "cocksuckery", or maybe "cocksuckerly", depending on whether
    "alert" was supposed to be a noun or verb. The latter could at least
    pass as an imperative sentence.

    HTH
     
    John A., Jul 29, 2011
    #9
  10. RichA

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Jul 28, 11:56 pm, reilloc <> wrote:
    > On 7/28/2011 10:16 PM, Rich wrote:
    >
    > > trotsky<>  wrote in
    > >news::

    >
    > >> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    > >>> Disgusting (the photo work).

    >
    > >> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?

    >
    > > "real good?"  What English is that?

    >
    > More than good enough that it's clear you're begging the question, dopey.


    If you mean, "bringing up the question" then why don't you say just
    that, instead of misusing the term "begging the question?"

    Begging the question does not mean to bring up the question. Begging
    the question is a term of logic. It refers to presenting as true a
    premise that requires proof; i.e., assuming that a conclusion is true
    before it is proved--or assuming in the premises of your argument what
    is supposed to be proved in the conclusion.
     
    Nervous Nick, Jul 30, 2011
    #10
  11. RichA

    reilloc Guest

    On 7/29/2011 7:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-07-29 16:51:22 -0700, Nervous Nick <> said:
    >
    >> On Jul 28, 11:56 pm, reilloc <> wrote:
    >>> On 7/28/2011 10:16 PM, Rich wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> trotsky<> wrote in
    >>>> news::
    >>>
    >>>>> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    >>>>>> Disgusting (the photo work).
    >>>
    >>>>> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?
    >>>
    >>>> "real good?" What English is that?
    >>>
    >>> More than good enough that it's clear you're begging the question,
    >>> dopey.

    >>
    >> If you mean, "bringing up the question" then why don't you say just
    >> that, instead of misusing the term "begging the question?"
    >>
    >> Begging the question does not mean to bring up the question. Begging
    >> the question is a term of logic. It refers to presenting as true a
    >> premise that requires proof; i.e., assuming that a conclusion is true
    >> before it is proved--or assuming in the premises of your argument what
    >> is supposed to be proved in the conclusion.

    >
    > Yup! "Begging the question" is an element of circular logic/argument. It
    > is not a replacement for "Raises the question".
    >


    So, you boys are saying that it's this "bringing up/raising the
    question" thing because what dopey did instead of answering the question
    asked is seem to ask another question? Well, maybe you're right but
    isn't what he did by failing to provide examples of "real good photo
    work" the same as reasserting what he represented to be real bad photo
    work? The "it's bad because I'm not able to show you anything better but
    will divert attention to your grammar" argument looks awfully
    question-begging to me; however, I'm not disputing that you may desire
    so much rigidly to adhere to the Wikipedia entry that you view it
    differently.

    LNC
     
    reilloc, Jul 30, 2011
    #11
  12. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:01:16 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2011-07-28 07:15:49 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >
    >> Disgusting (the photo work). WAY more than just airbrushing wrinkles
    >> was done. Does this product get rid of bad face lifts, congenitally-
    >> malformed lips and does it alter the jaw-line??!!
    >>
    >> From CNN:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/136780854
    >>
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/28/airbrushed.advertisements.ban/index.html?

    >
    >It
    >>

    >makes one wonder how this UK company can stay in business regarding
    >domestic sales for their particular product.
    >< http://www.digitalheavens.co.uk/?page_id=2433 >


    I know you're making a joke of sorts, but the L'Oreal ad was banned
    because it misrepresents what the product does, not because it
    misrepresents what Julia Roberts looks like.

    There is nothing illegal about misrepresenting what people look like
    unless a claim is made about a product that made them look that way.

    It doesn't even have to be the same person. Body doubles in movies
    have been used for years.

    Delta Burke was in my office when she was starring in "Designing
    Women" on television. She is from Orlando and went to school
    (Colonial High School) with an employee of mine. A very nice and
    personable lady, but her television close-ups must have been shot with
    a vaseline-coated lens. I have seen smoother gravel roads than her
    complexion.



    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Jul 30, 2011
    #12
  13. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:02:54 -0500, reilloc <> wrote:
    : On 7/29/2011 7:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    : > On 2011-07-29 16:51:22 -0700, Nervous Nick <> said:
    : >
    : >> On Jul 28, 11:56 pm, reilloc <> wrote:
    : >>> On 7/28/2011 10:16 PM, Rich wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> trotsky<> wrote in
    : >>>> news::
    : >>>
    : >>>>> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    : >>>>>> Disgusting (the photo work).
    : >>>
    : >>>>> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?
    : >>>
    : >>>> "real good?" What English is that?
    : >>>
    : >>> More than good enough that it's clear you're begging the question,
    : >>> dopey.
    : >>
    : >> If you mean, "bringing up the question" then why don't you say just
    : >> that, instead of misusing the term "begging the question?"
    : >>
    : >> Begging the question does not mean to bring up the question. Begging
    : >> the question is a term of logic. It refers to presenting as true a
    : >> premise that requires proof; i.e., assuming that a conclusion is true
    : >> before it is proved--or assuming in the premises of your argument what
    : >> is supposed to be proved in the conclusion.
    : >
    : > Yup! "Begging the question" is an element of circular logic/argument. It
    : > is not a replacement for "Raises the question".
    : >
    :
    : So, you boys are saying that it's this "bringing up/raising the
    : question" thing because what dopey did instead of answering the question
    : asked is seem to ask another question? Well, maybe you're right but
    : isn't what he did by failing to provide examples of "real good photo
    : work" the same as reasserting what he represented to be real bad photo
    : work? The "it's bad because I'm not able to show you anything better but
    : will divert attention to your grammar" argument looks awfully
    : question-begging to me; however, I'm not disputing that you may desire
    : so much rigidly to adhere to the Wikipedia entry that you view it
    : differently.

    Shifting smartly out of this linguistic quagmire and into an arguably similar
    point ...

    I'm surprised to see the quaint old term "airbrushed" being thrown about. In
    modern parlance, hasn't that word been almost totally supplanted by
    "Photoshopped"? How many among us even remember what an airbrush is/was? And
    did any of us ever actually use one?

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Jul 30, 2011
    #13
  14. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 00:06:41 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:01:16 -0700, Savageduck
    ><savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2011-07-28 07:15:49 -0700, RichA <> said:
    >>
    >>> Disgusting (the photo work). WAY more than just airbrushing wrinkles
    >>> was done. Does this product get rid of bad face lifts, congenitally-
    >>> malformed lips and does it alter the jaw-line??!!
    >>>
    >>> From CNN:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/136780854
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/28/airbrushed.advertisements.ban/index.html?

    >>
    >>It
    >>>

    >>makes one wonder how this UK company can stay in business regarding
    >>domestic sales for their particular product.
    >>< http://www.digitalheavens.co.uk/?page_id=2433 >

    >
    >I know you're making a joke of sorts, but the L'Oreal ad was banned
    >because it misrepresents what the product does, not because it
    >misrepresents what Julia Roberts looks like.
    >
    >There is nothing illegal about misrepresenting what people look like
    >unless a claim is made about a product that made them look that way.
    >
    >It doesn't even have to be the same person. Body doubles in movies
    >have been used for years.
    >
    >Delta Burke was in my office when she was starring in "Designing
    >Women" on television. She is from Orlando and went to school
    >(Colonial High School) with an employee of mine. A very nice and
    >personable lady, but her television close-ups must have been shot with
    >a vaseline-coated lens. I have seen smoother gravel roads than her
    >complexion.


    Hmmm...

    Had a small celebrity crush on her during her 1st and 10 days. Her
    Designing Women character kinda spoiled that for me.
     
    John A., Jul 30, 2011
    #14
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/30/2011 11:32 AM, Allen wrote:
    > On 7/30/2011 6:25 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:02:54 -0500, reilloc<> wrote:
    >> : On 7/29/2011 7:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >> :> On 2011-07-29 16:51:22 -0700, Nervous Nick<>
    >> said:
    >> :>
    >> :>> On Jul 28, 11:56 pm, reilloc<> wrote:
    >> :>>> On 7/28/2011 10:16 PM, Rich wrote:
    >> :>>>
    >> :>>>> trotsky<> wrote in
    >> :>>>> news::
    >> :>>>
    >> :>>>>> On 7/28/11 9:15 AM, RichA wrote:
    >> :>>>>>> Disgusting (the photo work).
    >> :>>>
    >> :>>>>> Can you show us some real good photo work, then?
    >> :>>>
    >> :>>>> "real good?" What English is that?
    >> :>>>
    >> :>>> More than good enough that it's clear you're begging the question,
    >> :>>> dopey.
    >> :>>
    >> :>> If you mean, "bringing up the question" then why don't you say just
    >> :>> that, instead of misusing the term "begging the question?"
    >> :>>
    >> :>> Begging the question does not mean to bring up the question. Begging
    >> :>> the question is a term of logic. It refers to presenting as true a
    >> :>> premise that requires proof; i.e., assuming that a conclusion is true
    >> :>> before it is proved--or assuming in the premises of your argument
    >> what
    >> :>> is supposed to be proved in the conclusion.
    >> :>
    >> :> Yup! "Begging the question" is an element of circular
    >> logic/argument. It
    >> :> is not a replacement for "Raises the question".
    >> :>
    >> :
    >> : So, you boys are saying that it's this "bringing up/raising the
    >> : question" thing because what dopey did instead of answering the
    >> question
    >> : asked is seem to ask another question? Well, maybe you're right but
    >> : isn't what he did by failing to provide examples of "real good photo
    >> : work" the same as reasserting what he represented to be real bad photo
    >> : work? The "it's bad because I'm not able to show you anything better
    >> but
    >> : will divert attention to your grammar" argument looks awfully
    >> : question-begging to me; however, I'm not disputing that you may desire
    >> : so much rigidly to adhere to the Wikipedia entry that you view it
    >> : differently.
    >>
    >> Shifting smartly out of this linguistic quagmire and into an arguably
    >> similar
    >> point ...
    >>
    >> I'm surprised to see the quaint old term "airbrushed" being thrown
    >> about. In
    >> modern parlance, hasn't that word been almost totally supplanted by
    >> "Photoshopped"? How many among us even remember what an airbrush
    >> is/was? And
    >> did any of us ever actually use one?
    >>
    >> Bob

    > I remember. Disclaimer: it helps to have been born in the last days of
    > the Coolidge administration. As to using one--no way!
    > Allen


    I did, once.

    --
    Peter
     
    PeterN, Jul 30, 2011
    #15
  16. On 7/30/11 4:25 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    >
    > Shifting smartly out of this linguistic quagmire and into an arguably similar
    > point ...
    >
    > I'm surprised to see the quaint old term "airbrushed" being thrown about. In
    > modern parlance, hasn't that word been almost totally supplanted by
    > "Photoshopped"? How many among us even remember what an airbrush is/was? And
    > did any of us ever actually use one?


    You are quite right. Airbrushing is what the Playboy editors did in the
    pubic region of women in the 60's.
    I don't have CS 5, but somewhat recent versions of PS "have" an
    "airbrush". Nonetheless, a lot more was done to those photos than using
    just the airbrush tool.

    OTOH, I still catch myself saying I've videotaped a TV show...
     
    John McWilliams, Jul 31, 2011
    #16
  17. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    RichA wrote:
    >
    > Disgusting (the photo work). WAY more than just airbrushing wrinkles
    > was done. Does this product get rid of bad face lifts, congenitally-
    > malformed lips and does it alter the jaw-line??!!
    >
    > From CNN:


    <edited to prevent trauma>

    Their finest hour, surely.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Marie's Musings <http://fairiesandtails.blogspot.com>
     
    John Turco, Aug 6, 2011
    #17
  18. In article <>,
    John Turco <> wrote:

    > RichA wrote:
    > >
    > > Disgusting (the photo work). WAY more than just airbrushing wrinkles
    > > was done. Does this product get rid of bad face lifts, congenitally-
    > > malformed lips and does it alter the jaw-line??!!
    > >
    > > From CNN:

    >
    > <edited to prevent trauma>
    >
    > Their finest hour, surely.


    Gahhh! It's like a corpse with a crushed skull wearing seductive
    make-up. It would give people nightmares.
    --
    I will not see posts from Google because I must filter them as spam
     
    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 6, 2011
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,672
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,139
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,201
  4. Julia Roberts Is Not Pretty

    , Nov 8, 2008, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    2,335
    Wayout
    Apr 9, 2009
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,245
    Bert Hyman
    Dec 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page