    jedmeister Guest

    remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?

    They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.
    jedmeister, Jan 31, 2006

  2. jedmeister

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:59:41 +1300, "jedmeister" <>
    wrote:

    >remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >
    >They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    That had its uses. I had a DOS version of Monopoly (which used to
    cheat - whenever a game player came out of jail they would ALWAYS land
    on Community Chest and avoid all my houses along that stretch). To
    make it play faster I would switch out the Turbo, start the game, then
    switch the Turbo back on. Bzzzz!
    GraB, Jan 31, 2006

  3. jedmeister

    ~misfit~ Guest

    jedmeister wrote:
    > remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >
    > They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    My machine has the modern equivalent of a turbo button. It's called FSB
    settings in BIOS. Not as simple and easy to use as a turbo button tough. Now
    that I think about it I'd like to have a system that I could input two lots
    of settings in BIOS, O/C'ed (and overvolted if needed) and normal, then be
    able to change between them with the push of a button. When it's hot or I'm
    only surfing / newsgouping / emailing then the lower setting would be fine.
    Time for games / serious rendering? Push the button and go to the O/C'ed
    settings.

    Yeah! Bring back the turbo button!
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 1, 2006
  4. jedmeister

    jedmeister Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > jedmeister wrote:
    >> remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >>
    >> They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    > My machine has the modern equivalent of a turbo button. It's called FSB
    > settings in BIOS. Not as simple and easy to use as a turbo button tough.
    > Now that I think about it I'd like to have a system that I could input two
    > lots of settings in BIOS, O/C'ed (and overvolted if needed) and normal,
    > then be able to change between them with the push of a button. When it's
    > hot or I'm only surfing / newsgouping / emailing then the lower setting
    > would be fine. Time for games / serious rendering? Push the button and go
    > to the O/C'ed settings.
    >
    > Yeah! Bring back the turbo button!
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    That would be a neat feature.

    I recently read, a new notebook is coming out with onboard video, and a
    dedicated graphics card. Then, you can toggle between the two via a switch
    on the notebook case.

    This allows you to maximise battery/performance depending on your needs.
    jedmeister, Feb 1, 2006
  5. jedmeister

    Rider Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > jedmeister wrote:
    >> remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >>
    >> They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    > My machine has the modern equivalent of a turbo button. It's called FSB
    > settings in BIOS. Not as simple and easy to use as a turbo button tough.
    > Now that I think about it I'd like to have a system that I could input two
    > lots of settings in BIOS, O/C'ed (and overvolted if needed) and normal,
    > then be able to change between them with the push of a button. When it's
    > hot or I'm only surfing / newsgouping / emailing then the lower setting
    > would be fine. Time for games / serious rendering? Push the button and go
    > to the O/C'ed settings.

    I've seen a piece of software that came with a motherboard ... think it was
    a Soltek. Anyhoo .... you could change the FSB from within Windows on the
    fly.

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 2, 2006
  6. jedmeister

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> jedmeister wrote:
    >>> remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >>>
    >>> They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    >> My machine has the modern equivalent of a turbo button. It's called
    >> FSB settings in BIOS. Not as simple and easy to use as a turbo
    >> button tough. Now that I think about it I'd like to have a system
    >> that I could input two lots of settings in BIOS, O/C'ed (and
    >> overvolted if needed) and normal, then be able to change between
    >> them with the push of a button. When it's hot or I'm only surfing /
    >> newsgouping / emailing then the lower setting would be fine. Time
    >> for games / serious rendering? Push the button and go to the O/C'ed
    >> settings.

    > I've seen a piece of software that came with a motherboard ... think
    > it was a Soltek. Anyhoo .... you could change the FSB from within
    > Windows on the fly.

    I've seen a couple like that, from different manufacturers. It's not the
    same as a hardware switch and custom O/C settings though, including vcore
    and multiplier. All the software solutions I've seen are clumsy and not very
    useful.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006
  7. jedmeister

    MarkH Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in news:_cQDf.104961$vH5.1032216
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >
    > They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    I think that you misunderstand the purpose of the 'turbo' button!

    The button was there to allow you to slow the PC down so that you could run
    some older programs that ran too fast with the turbo on. Basically turbo
    on was the normal running and turbo off was a special run-slow mode.

    Luckily modern programmers know better than to time games by the processor
    cycles!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Feb 2, 2006
  8. jedmeister

    Bruce Knox Guest

    wrote:

    >remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >
    >They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    From memory the turbo button just controlled the speed of the ISA bus
    and hence communication with the peripherals. Turned on the bus ran at
    FSB speed (in those days I think up to 33MHz) while with it off it was
    restricted to 8MHz(?) for compatability with older cards.

    The death of ISA saw the death of the turbo.

    I can see the point some have made though for being able to switch
    BIOS settings on the fly. That would be useful at times.

    Bruce.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Feb 3, 2006
  9. jedmeister

    David Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > "jedmeister" <> wrote in news:_cQDf.104961$vH5.1032216
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> remember the days when pc's came with a 'turbo' button?
    >>
    >> They should bring it back, to keep up with moores law.

    > I think that you misunderstand the purpose of the 'turbo' button!
    >
    > The button was there to allow you to slow the PC down so that you could run
    > some older programs that ran too fast with the turbo on. Basically turbo
    > on was the normal running and turbo off was a special run-slow mode.
    >
    > Luckily modern programmers know better than to time games by the processor
    > cycles!

    It gets worse when the programmers time a 10000 iteration loop of
    nothing then divide by that to obtain a "speed multiplier" value (so the
    game could run at a constant speed). Trying to run these games on a
    modern system results in a division by zero, and a crash. Using DOSBox
    or similar to emulate a slow processor works well though.
    David, Feb 4, 2006