    So strange, been doing this for about a year, anyone else with symptoms of
    bright lights? (other than the near death experience type!)

    Matt

    Matthew Strickland, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Matthew Strickland

    Rider Guest

    "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just curious to know why my gigabyte mobo resets if I shine a torch on it

    or
    > the sun is shining into the case. (Gigabyte GA-7NNXP) - from memory.
    > It seems to 'trigger' near the back of the CPU, (where the power supply
    > modules are).
    > I think that it might be the "Dual power voltage regulator module" FAN

    speed
    > sensor being interfered with by the bright light - making it think the fan
    > is stopped, resetting the PC.
    > I havent tried stopped the fan by hand yet to see if it had the same
    > reaction.
    >
    > It stays in 'reset' mode (as if you are holding in the reset button) until
    > the light source is removed.
    >
    > So strange, been doing this for about a year, anyone else with symptoms of
    > bright lights? (other than the near death experience type!)
    >
    > Matt

    I'm curious how you found out that shining a light on the motherboard would
    make your computer do this??

    Rider

    Rider, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Matthew Strickland

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Just curious to know why my gigabyte mobo resets if I shine a torch
    >> on it or the sun is shining into the case. (Gigabyte GA-7NNXP) -
    >> from memory.
    >> It seems to 'trigger' near the back of the CPU, (where the power
    >> supply modules are).
    >> I think that it might be the "Dual power voltage regulator module"
    >> FAN speed sensor being interfered with by the bright light - making
    >> it think the fan is stopped, resetting the PC.
    >> I havent tried stopped the fan by hand yet to see if it had the same
    >> reaction.
    >>
    >> It stays in 'reset' mode (as if you are holding in the reset button)
    >> until the light source is removed.
    >>
    >> So strange, been doing this for about a year, anyone else with
    >> symptoms of bright lights? (other than the near death experience
    >> type!)
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>

    > I'm curious how you found out that shining a light on the motherboard
    > would make your computer do this??
    >
    > Rider

    Is it a case with a window?

    Nik Coughin, Jul 7, 2004
  4. Matthew Strickland

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    A bright torch :)

    -{-astrae-}-, Jul 7, 2004
  5. In article <czJGc.8009$>,
    "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote:

    >Just curious to know why my gigabyte mobo resets if I shine a torch on it or
    >the sun is shining into the case.

    Might be the infrared, rather than visible, radiation which is
    triggering a temperature sensor.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Matthew Strickland

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Just curious to know why my gigabyte mobo resets if I shine a torch
    >> on it or the sun is shining into the case. (Gigabyte GA-7NNXP) -
    >> from memory.
    >> It seems to 'trigger' near the back of the CPU, (where the power
    >> supply modules are).
    >> I think that it might be the "Dual power voltage regulator module"
    >> FAN speed sensor being interfered with by the bright light - making
    >> it think the fan is stopped, resetting the PC.
    >> I havent tried stopped the fan by hand yet to see if it had the same
    >> reaction.
    >>
    >> It stays in 'reset' mode (as if you are holding in the reset button)
    >> until the light source is removed.
    >>
    >> So strange, been doing this for about a year, anyone else with
    >> symptoms of bright lights? (other than the near death experience
    >> type!)
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>

    > I'm curious how you found out that shining a light on the motherboard
    > would make your computer do this??

    Obviously you're not like me (and a lot of other people) who are constantly
    peering into their PC case(s) to add this or move that or check something. I
    have a mini Maglite in my drawer especially for that purpose. It's quite
    bright too.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2004
  7. Matthew Strickland

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <czJGc.8009$>,
    > "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just curious to know why my gigabyte mobo resets if I shine a torch
    >> on it or the sun is shining into the case.

    > Might be the infrared, rather than visible, radiation which is
    > triggering a temperature sensor.

    That's my thoughts too.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Matthew Strickland

    GraB Guest

    >I'm curious how you found out that shining a light on the motherboard would
    >make your computer do this??
    >
    >Rider

    It is dark and dingey inside computers, especially if you are trying
    to read what is on chipsets, etc.

    GraB, Jul 7, 2004
  9. Matthew Strickland

    Rider Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Rider wrote:
    > > "Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi all,
    > >>
    > >> Just curious to know why my gigabyte mobo resets if I shine a torch
    > >> on it or the sun is shining into the case. (Gigabyte GA-7NNXP) -
    > >> from memory.
    > >> It seems to 'trigger' near the back of the CPU, (where the power
    > >> supply modules are).
    > >> I think that it might be the "Dual power voltage regulator module"
    > >> FAN speed sensor being interfered with by the bright light - making
    > >> it think the fan is stopped, resetting the PC.
    > >> I havent tried stopped the fan by hand yet to see if it had the same
    > >> reaction.
    > >>
    > >> It stays in 'reset' mode (as if you are holding in the reset button)
    > >> until the light source is removed.
    > >>
    > >> So strange, been doing this for about a year, anyone else with
    > >> symptoms of bright lights? (other than the near death experience
    > >> type!)
    > >>
    > >> Matt
    > >>

    > > I'm curious how you found out that shining a light on the motherboard
    > > would make your computer do this??

    > Obviously you're not like me (and a lot of other people) who are

    constantly
    > peering into their PC case(s) to add this or move that or check something.

    > have a mini Maglite in my drawer especially for that purpose. It's quite
    > bright too.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    I peer into a lot of cases as well, I've just never had to use a torch ...
    oh well.

    Rider, Jul 7, 2004
  10. Matthew Strickland

    Fuel Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 14:59:24 +1200, "Rider"
    <> scribbled:

    >"Matthew Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Just curious to know why my gigabyte mobo resets if I shine a torch on it

    >or
    >> the sun is shining into the case. (Gigabyte GA-7NNXP) - from memory.
    >> It seems to 'trigger' near the back of the CPU, (where the power supply
    >> modules are).
    >> I think that it might be the "Dual power voltage regulator module" FAN

    >speed
    >> sensor being interfered with by the bright light - making it think the fan
    >> is stopped, resetting the PC.
    >> I havent tried stopped the fan by hand yet to see if it had the same
    >> reaction.
    >>
    >> It stays in 'reset' mode (as if you are holding in the reset button) until
    >> the light source is removed.
    >>
    >> So strange, been doing this for about a year, anyone else with symptoms of
    >> bright lights? (other than the near death experience type!)
    >>
    >> Matt
    >>

    >I'm curious how you found out that shining a light on the motherboard would
    >make your computer do this??

    He said that sunlight also does it. Maybe his case was in an area
    which got alot of sunlight, and kept resetting his machine. Natually,
    you tend to investigate these things.

    Fuel, Jul 7, 2004
  11. Fuel wrote:
    > He said that sunlight also does it. Maybe his case was in an area
    > which got alot of sunlight, and kept resetting his machine. Natually,
    > you tend to investigate these things.

    Light Erasable Roms or something maybe?

    any chips with windows on top?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2004
  12. Matthew Strickland

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Fuel wrote:
    >> He said that sunlight also does it. Maybe his case was in an area
    >> which got alot of sunlight, and kept resetting his machine. Natually,
    >> you tend to investigate these things.

    > Light Erasable Roms or something maybe?
    >
    > any chips with windows on top?

    LOL, I thought about that too but thought that they didn't use those anymore
    and they usually had a sticker over the 'window'.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 8, 2004
  13. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>Light Erasable Roms or something maybe?
    >>any chips with windows on top?

    > LOL, I thought about that too but thought that they didn't use those anymore
    > and they usually had a sticker over the 'window'.

    I know, but I thought that maybe the light was strong enough to go
    through the stickers... oh well... filed in the too hard basket.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Fuel wrote:
    >
    >> He said that sunlight also does it. Maybe his case was in an area
    >> which got alot of sunlight, and kept resetting his machine. Natually,
    >> you tend to investigate these things.

    > Light Erasable Roms or something maybe?
    >
    > any chips with windows on top?

    EPROMs are not likely to be erased by a torch flash, they need 20
    minutes under a pure UV source and quite a bit more under ordinary
    sunlight to erase.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 8, 2004
  15. Matthew Strickland

    EMB Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > EPROMs are not likely to be erased by a torch flash, they need 20
    > minutes under a pure UV source and quite a bit more under ordinary
    > sunlight to erase.

    Quite apart from which an erased EPROM probably won't cause the machine
    to stop, but would almost certainly stop it starting up again.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Jul 8, 2004
  16. Matthew Strickland

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 8/07/2004 12:57:

    > Fuel wrote:
    >
    >> He said that sunlight also does it. Maybe his case was in an area
    >> which got alot of sunlight, and kept resetting his machine. Natually,
    >> you tend to investigate these things.

    > Light Erasable Roms or something maybe?
    >
    > any chips with windows on top?

    Reminds me of the good old days of Glass bottle Transistors which if you
    scratched the paint off became light sensitive.

    Collector_NZ, Jul 8, 2004
  17. Matthew Strickland

    Chris Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:cciqst$pko$:

    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >

    >> EPROMs are not likely to be erased by a torch flash, they need 20
    >> minutes under a pure UV source and quite a bit more under ordinary
    >> sunlight to erase.
    >>

    > Quite apart from which an erased EPROM probably won't cause the machine
    > to stop, but would almost certainly stop it starting up again.

    LOL, yeah, thats what I'd expect anyway :)

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 8, 2004
  18. Matthew Strickland

    Chris Guest

    Collector_NZ <> wrote in news:2l49evF833d2U1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Reminds me of the good old days of Glass bottle Transistors which if you
    > scratched the paint off became light sensitive.

    Yeah, the OC71, made good photo transistors.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jul 8, 2004
  19. ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>Fuel wrote:
    >>
    >>>He said that sunlight also does it. Maybe his case was in an area
    >>>which got alot of sunlight, and kept resetting his machine. Natually,
    >>>you tend to investigate these things.

    >>Light Erasable Roms or something maybe?
    >>
    >>any chips with windows on top?

    > LOL, I thought about that too but thought that they didn't use those anymore
    > and they usually had a sticker over the 'window'.

    Up until a few years ago the keyboard BIOS was usually in an EPROM. Not
    sure what they use now.

    Patrick Dunford, Jul 8, 2004
  20. Matthew Strickland

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Chris said the following on 8/07/2004 21:03:

    > Collector_NZ <> wrote in news:2l49evF833d2U1@uni-
    > berlin.de:
    >

    >>Reminds me of the good old days of Glass bottle Transistors which if you
    >>scratched the paint off became light sensitive.
    >>

    > Yeah, the OC71, made good photo transistors.

    Gee your an old bastard -:)

    Collector_NZ, Jul 8, 2004