Bright light in sky?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pete, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. pete

    pete Guest

    pete, Sep 21, 2007

  2. pete

    kráftéé Guest

    pete wrote:
    > I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
    > bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
    > too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
    > pete

    It can't be that time already, I have had a chance to repent all my
    sins yet.... o;-(

    kráftéé, Sep 21, 2007

  3. pete

    who'sthat Guest

    who'sthat, Sep 21, 2007
  4. pete

    SJP Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    >I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
    > bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
    > too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
    > pete

    Try asking in news:uk.sci.astronomy

    SJP, Sep 21, 2007
  5. pete

    pete Guest

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
    <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:04:03 +0100, pete <> wrote:
    >
    >>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
    >>bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
    >>too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
    >>pete
    >>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    >http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
    >
    >And now you won't need Google
    >http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

    Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
    space lab could be around that area?

    pete, Sep 22, 2007
  6. pete

    pete Guest

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:10:25 +0100, "SJP" <>
    wrote:

    >"pete" <> wrote in message
    >>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
    >> bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
    >> too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
    >> pete

    >Try asking in news:uk.sci.astronomy

    Thanks I am doing that now.

    pete, Sep 22, 2007
  7. pete

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
    ><who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:04:03 +0100, pete <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
    >>>bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
    >>>too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
    >>>pete
    >>>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    >>http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
    >>
    >>And now you won't need Google
    >>http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

    >Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
    >space lab could be around that area?
    >pete
    >http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    The sites I sent will also point out planets.
    No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    who'sthat, Sep 22, 2007
  8. who'sthat wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
    >><who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

    >>>http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
    >>>
    >>>And now you won't need Google
    >>>http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

    >>Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
    >>space lab could be around that area?
    >>pete
    >>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    > The sites I sent will also point out planets.
    > No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    > where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even if
    you could see it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 22, 2007
  9. pete

    chuckcar Guest

    pete <> wrote in

    > I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
    > bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
    > too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
    > pete
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    Venus the goddess of love and she's coming for her revenge.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 22, 2007
  10. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > who'sthat wrote:
    >> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    >> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    > And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
    > if you could see it.

    Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
    night.

    http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
    "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
    seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
    travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
    orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
    its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ¡stars¢ making it
    fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2007
  11. pete

    crashbang1 Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> who'sthat wrote:
    >>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    >>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    >> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
    >> if you could see it.

    > Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
    > night.
    >
    > http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
    > "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
    > seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
    > travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
    > orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
    > its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
    > fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

    Its Venus

    crashbang1, Sep 22, 2007
  12. pete

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 03:10:03 +0100, crashbang1
    <> wrote:

    >Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
    >>> if you could see it.

    >> Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
    >> night.
    >>
    >> http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
    >> "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
    >> seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
    >> travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
    >> orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
    >> its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
    >> fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."
    >>

    >Its Venus

    I figured it was a planet..that's why I mentioned that the sites I
    pointed out would tell him that.

    who'sthat, Sep 22, 2007
  13. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> who'sthat wrote:
    >>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    >>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    >> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
    >> if you could see it.

    > Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
    > night.
    >
    > http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
    > "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
    > seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
    > travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
    > orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
    > its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ?stars? making it
    > fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

    Echo 1 was the first one I ever saw up there with only me eyes:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_satellite

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 22, 2007
  14. pete

    DemoDisk Guest

    "kráftéé" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote in message
    > pete wrote:
    > > I live near the east coast and just lately I have noticed a very
    > > bright light in the sky. It is roughly in the East and appears to be
    > > too bright to be a star. Does anyone know what it is?
    > > pete

    > It can't be that time already, I have had a chance to repent all my
    > sins yet.... o;-(

    We can help. Tell us all about them! :D :D

    DemoDisk, Sep 22, 2007
  15. pete

    pete Guest

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:13:27 -0500, who'sthat
    <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:10:16 -0500, who'sthat
    >><who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote:

    >>>http://www.space.com/spacewatch/easy_east_021002.html
    >>>
    >>>And now you won't need Google
    >>>http://www.space.com/images/all_sky_map_0209_02.jpg

    >>Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
    >>space lab could be around that area?
    >>pete
    >>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    >The sites I sent will also point out planets.
    >No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    >where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    Going by the chart you posted it seems to be Jupiter.

    pete, Sep 22, 2007
  16. pete

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya who'sthat.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > The sites I sent will also point out planets.
    > No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    > where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    It also moves quite fast.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Sep 22, 2007
  17. pete

    pete Guest

    On 22 Sep 2007 00:19:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >who'sthat wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 00:59:35 +0100, pete <> wrote:

    >>>Thanks but I don't think it is a star etc. I was wondering if the
    >>>space lab could be around that area?
    >>>pete
    >>>http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    >>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    >> The sites I sent will also point out planets.
    >> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    >> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    >And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even if
    >you could see it.

    Well that has knocked that theory on the head then as this appears
    stationary.

    pete, Sep 22, 2007
  18. pete

    pete Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 01:46:08 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> who'sthat wrote:
    >>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    >>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    >> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
    >> if you could see it.

    >Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
    >night.
    >
    >http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
    >"Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
    >seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
    >travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
    >orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
    >its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
    >fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."

    Everything fits but what I am looking at each night lately is

    pete, Sep 22, 2007
  19. pete

    pete Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even
    >>> if you could see it.

    >> Yes, you can see it with the naked eye. Sure, it has to be a very clear
    >> night.
    >>
    >> http://www.esa.int/esaHS/ESA0I6KE43D_iss_0.html
    >> "Spotting the ISS with the naked eye is not as difficult as it might
    >> seem - providing you know in which direction to look. Although the ISS
    >> travels at a speed of 7.7 km per second it is in one of the lowest
    >> orbits possible - an approximate 390 km above our heads - and thanks to
    >> its large solar wings it is one of the brightest ‘stars’ making it
    >> fairly easy to distinguish as it visibly moves across the night sky."
    >>

    >Its Venus

    Really!

    pete, Sep 22, 2007
  20. pete wrote:
    > On 22 Sep 2007 00:19:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>who'sthat wrote:

    >>> The sites I sent will also point out planets.
    >>> No, you can't see the ISS with the naked eye unless you know exactly
    >>> where to look and then it would only be a small dot.

    >>And it would be moving a lot faster than the stars and planets even if
    >>you could see it.

    > Well that has knocked that theory on the head then as this appears
    > stationary.
    > pete
    > http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipswich

    Say, those links look familiar. :-/

    That said, hasn't anyone ever heard of the "morning star"/"evening star"
    -- Venus? Sheesh. It didn't just happen.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 22, 2007