  1. Hi,
    I have a bright idea for a new program. Any programmers out there?

    Spambot

    § GateKeeper §, Jul 22, 2003

  2. § GateKeeper §

    °Mike° Guest

    Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    more sort after.

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:55:51 -0400, in
    <0BfTa.2400$2.webusenet.com>
    § GateKeeper § scrawled:

    --
    "Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers."

    °Mike°, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Ok, Do you think thats a good idea? Spambot. Have spambot check your e-mail
    server before you download from it. Like Mail Washer , but have it catch
    only the spam, And you can add to blacklist.
    :)

    In news:,
    °Mike° <> typed: With a :)

    § GateKeeper §, Jul 22, 2003
  4. § GateKeeper §

    °Mike° Guest

    If it could catch ONLY spam, and 100% of the time, you would be
    a very rich person.

    http://www.geeba.org/magic/
    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:32:21 -0400, in
    <NbgTa.3518$2.webusenet.com>
    § GateKeeper § scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 22, 2003
  5. § GateKeeper §

    ilmc Guest

    I don't want to filter spam. I want to find who done it and get the b******
    (*) _nuked_

    § GateKeeper § typed:

    ilmc, Jul 22, 2003
  6. § GateKeeper §

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ilmc said:

    > I don't want to filter spam. I want to find who done it and get the b******
    > (*) _nuked_

    You don't need to write a program for that, just check the headers of incoming
    spam and report it to the ISP (where applicable)

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

    Brian H¹©, Jul 22, 2003
  7. § GateKeeper §

    ilmc Guest

    > ilmc said:
    >
    >> I don't want to filter spam. I want to find who done it and get the
    >> b****** (*) _nuked_

    > You don't need to write a program for that, just check the headers of
    > incoming spam and report it to the ISP (where applicable)

    And I do. It seems to work. No spam at work for 2 (two) days!
    Pity about the home NTL account

    ilmc, Jul 22, 2003
  8. § GateKeeper §

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:23:10 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    >more sort after.

    "Sought?"

    "No charge."

    --
    Two minutes is, to me, 2 minutes too many. Trolls thrive on
    attention... starve them, and they die pathetic, lonely little deaths.

    Mara, Jul 22, 2003
  9. § GateKeeper §

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ilmc said:

    >> ilmc said:
    >>
    >>> I don't want to filter spam. I want to find who done it and get the
    >>> b****** (*) _nuked_

    >> You don't need to write a program for that, just check the headers of
    >> incoming spam and report it to the ISP (where applicable)
    >>

    > And I do. It seems to work. No spam at work for 2 (two) days!
    > Pity about the home NTL account

    Thats a piece of cake to deal with.
    If your account is (for example) ilmc(at)ntlworld.com, just change your username
    to i.l.m.c(at)ntlworld.com
    The addition of dots f***s dictionary attacks :-D

    Brian H¹©, Jul 22, 2003
  10. § GateKeeper §

    ilmc Guest

    Mara typed:
    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:23:10 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    >> more sort after.

    > "Sought?"
    >
    > "No charge."

    After one has sorted, one may find the sought after.

    ilmc, Jul 22, 2003
  11. § GateKeeper §

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Mara tried to scribble ...

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:23:10 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    >> more sort after.

    > "Sought?"
    >
    > "No charge."

    A freebie ???

    Sheesh, what is the world coming to ...

    Or is a bribe of Beer involved here and you're trying to keep it a secret
    from everyone else on Usenet ?

    ;)

    PS .. I'm now missing some of my own Original Posts, but can often see what
    I've posted in other posters replies to me .. Yet I'm using a totally
    different (new) computer and OS (Now got XP running on a new Sont Vaio
    laptop .. ;))

    I guess my ISP (Tiscali) sucks big stylee .. Ah well, not long now to
    broadband bliss I hope.

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

    Paul - xxx, Jul 22, 2003
  12. § GateKeeper §

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Paul - xxx said:

    > Mara tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:23:10 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    >>> more sort after.

    >> "Sought?"
    >>
    >> "No charge."

    > A freebie ???
    >
    > Sheesh, what is the world coming to ...
    >
    > Or is a bribe of Beer involved here and you're trying to keep it a secret
    > from everyone else on Usenet ?
    >
    > ;)
    >
    > PS .. I'm now missing some of my own Original Posts, but can often see what
    > I've posted in other posters replies to me .. Yet I'm using a totally
    > different (new) computer and OS (Now got XP running on a new Sont Vaio
    > laptop .. ;))
    >
    > I guess my ISP (Tiscali) sucks big stylee .. Ah well, not long now to
    > broadband bliss I hope.

    That'll teach you to use a 2-stroke ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Jul 22, 2003
  13. § GateKeeper §

    ilmc Guest

    > Paul - xxx said:
    >
    >> Mara tried to scribble ...

    >>> "Sought?"
    >>>
    >>> "No charge."

    >> A freebie ???
    >>
    >> Sheesh, what is the world coming to ...
    >>
    >> Or is a bribe of Beer involved here and you're trying to keep it a
    >> secret from everyone else on Usenet ?
    >>
    >> ;)
    >>
    >> PS .. I'm now missing some of my own Original Posts, but can often
    >> see what I've posted in other posters replies to me .. Yet I'm using
    >> a totally different (new) computer and OS (Now got XP running on a
    >> new Sont Vaio laptop .. ;))
    >>
    >> I guess my ISP (Tiscali) sucks big stylee .. Ah well, not long now to
    >> broadband bliss I hope.

    > That'll teach you to use a 2-stroke ;-)

    I think he has already got that trick :)

    ilmc, Jul 22, 2003
  14. § GateKeeper §

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:53:35 +0100, Paul - xxx wrote:

    >Mara tried to scribble ...
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:23:10 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    >>> more sort after.

    >> "Sought?"
    >>
    >> "No charge."

    >A freebie ???
    >
    >Sheesh, what is the world coming to ...

    I'm on vacation.

    (At least, I will be in a couple of weeks.)

    >Or is a bribe of Beer involved here and you're trying to keep it a secret
    >from everyone else on Usenet ?

    You said the "B" word. That's gonna wake up OS, and I'll have to order another
    hundred truckloads.

    "You owe me for this."

    >;)

    ;)

    >PS .. I'm now missing some of my own Original Posts, but can often see what
    >I've posted in other posters replies to me .. Yet I'm using a totally
    >different (new) computer and OS (Now got XP running on a new Sont Vaio
    >laptop .. ;))

    Tiscali sucks. XP sucks. Sony sucks too, but a little less. Laptops in general
    only slightly suck, so that pretty much cancels the others out.

    ;)

    >I guess my ISP (Tiscali) sucks big stylee .. Ah well, not long now to
    >broadband bliss I hope.

    I hope you're right. I have a very close friend over there that recently went
    with dsl, and has had almost nothing but trouble. Personally I think there's
    something wrong with his modem/router - it's a combo job. But he has a dialup
    backup and has trouble with it, too.

    "Hard to tell, from 4500 miles away."

    Mara, Jul 22, 2003
  15. § GateKeeper §

    ilmc Guest

    Mara typed:
> [...]

    > 4 a : a letter or character that is one element of a font b : a
    > character or piece of type that is not part of a regular font
    > 5 : an instance of sorting <a numeric sort of a data file>
    > synonym see TYPE
    > - after a sort : in a rough or haphazard way
    > - of sorts or of a sort : of an inconsequential or mediocre quality
    > <a poet of sorts>
    > - out of sorts 1 : somewhat ill 2 : GROUCHY, IRRITABLE
    > Main Entry: 2sort
    > Function: verb
    > Date: 14th century
    > transitive senses
    > 1 a : to put in a certain place or rank according to kind, class, or
    > nature <sort apples> <sort mail> b : to arrange according to
    > characteristics : CLASSIFY <sort out colors>
    > 2 chiefly Scottish : to put to rights : put in order
    > 3 a : to examine in order to clarify <sorting out his problems> b :
    > to free of confusion : CLARIFY <waited until things sorted themselves
    > out>
    > intransitive senses
    > 1 : to join or associate with others especially of the same kind
    > <sort with thieves>
    > 2 : SUIT, AGREE
    > - sort·able /'sor-t&-b&l/ adjective
    > - sort·er noun
    > Main Entry: seek
    > Pronunciation: 'sEk
    > Function: verb
    > Inflected Form(s): sought /'sot/; seek·ing
    > Etymology: Middle English seken, from Old English sEcan; akin to Old
    > High German suohhen to seek, Latin sagus prophetic, Greek hEgeisthai
    > to lead
    > Date: before 12th century
    > transitive senses
    > 1 : to resort to : go to
    > 2 a : to go in search of : look for b : to try to discover
    > 3 : to ask for : REQUEST <seeks advice>
    > 4 : to try to acquire or gain : aim at <seek fame>
    > 5 : to make an attempt : TRY -- used with to and an infinitive
    > <governments... seek to keep the bulk of their people contented -- D.
    > M. Potter>
    > intransitive senses
    > 1 : to make a search or inquiry
    > 2 a : to be sought b : to be lacking <in critical judgment... they
    > were sadly to seek -- Times Literary Supplement>
    > - seek·er noun
    >
    > It's rather clear that 'sought' would be more appropriate.
    >
    > "Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    > more sought after" is much more appropriate, especially when you look
    > at the ideas expressed in this thread. Gatekeeper has an idea. If
    > it's a good one, people will seek it out (sought). They are not going
    > to classify, clarify, or put it in order; he already has it and has
    > classified it himself, i.e., "Have spambot check your e-mail server
    > before you download from it. Like Mail Washer, but have it catch only
    > the spam, And you can add to blacklist." They are, however, going to
    > 'seek' him and his idea out in order to utilize it.
    >
    > "And thus ends your grammar lesson for today."

    Such erudition! I was only enjoying a pun.
    Sorry :-(

    ilmc, Jul 22, 2003
  16. § GateKeeper §

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Mara tried to scribble ...

    > On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:53:35 +0100, Paul - xxx wrote:
    >
    >> Mara tried to scribble ...

    >>> "Sought?"
    >>>
    >>> "No charge."

    >> A freebie ???
    >>
    >> Sheesh, what is the world coming to ...

    > I'm on vacation.
    >
    > (At least, I will be in a couple of weeks.)

    Heheheh, winding down then ... should be about comatose by the second day of
    your vacation then .. ;) Hope you enjoy it ..

    >> Or is a bribe of Beer involved here and you're trying to keep it a
    >> secret from everyone else on Usenet ?

    > You said the "B" word. That's gonna wake up OS, and I'll have to
    > order another hundred truckloads.
    >
    > "You owe me for this."

    I guessed that was coming ... ;)

    >> PS .. I'm now missing some of my own Original Posts, but can often
    >> see what I've posted in other posters replies to me .. Yet I'm using
    >> a totally different (new) computer and OS (Now got XP running on a
    >> new Sont Vaio laptop .. ;))

    > Tiscali sucks. XP sucks. Sony sucks too, but a little less. Laptops
    > in general only slightly suck, so that pretty much cancels the others
    > out.

    Yeah, I know .. but it's a brand new Athlon 1400+ XP laptop for £notalot,
    but hasn't been stolen so I couldn't resist ...

    >> I guess my ISP (Tiscali) sucks big stylee .. Ah well, not long now to
    >> broadband bliss I hope.

    > I hope you're right. I have a very close friend over there that
    > recently went with dsl, and has had almost nothing but trouble.
    > Personally I think there's something wrong with his modem/router -
    > it's a combo job. But he has a dialup backup and has trouble with it,
    > too.
    >
    > "Hard to tell, from 4500 miles away."

    Yeah .. like hearing an echo a minute later .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jul 22, 2003
  17. § GateKeeper §

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Paul - xxx said:

    > Brian H¹© tried to scribble ...

    >> Paul - xxx said:
    >>
    >>> Mara tried to scribble ...

    >>> A freebie ???
    >>>
    >>> Sheesh, what is the world coming to ...
    >>>
    >>> Or is a bribe of Beer involved here and you're trying to keep it a
    >>> secret from everyone else on Usenet ?
    >>>
    >>> ;)
    >>>
    >>> PS .. I'm now missing some of my own Original Posts, but can often
    >>> see what I've posted in other posters replies to me .. Yet I'm using
    >>> a totally different (new) computer and OS (Now got XP running on a
    >>> new Sont Vaio laptop .. ;))
    >>>
    >>> I guess my ISP (Tiscali) sucks big stylee .. Ah well, not long now to
    >>> broadband bliss I hope.

    >> That'll teach you to use a 2-stroke ;-)

    > Smmmoking ... ;)

    :-D

    Brian H¹©, Jul 22, 2003
  18. § GateKeeper §

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:24:33 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:23:10 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    >>more sort after.

    >"Sought?"

    You see? Now THAT'S a good idea!

    >"No charge."

    Too kind. :)

    <snip>

    --
    "ERROR #063: Operator fell asleep while typing."

    °Mike°, Jul 22, 2003
  19. § GateKeeper §

    ilmc Guest

    > Paul - xxx said:
    >
    >> Mara tried to scribble ...

    >>> "Sought?"
    >>>
    >>> "No charge."

    >> A freebie ???
    >>
    >> Sheesh, what is the world coming to ...
    >>
    >> Or is a bribe of Beer involved here and you're trying to keep it a
    >> secret from everyone else on Usenet ?
    >>
    >> ;)
    >>
    >> PS .. I'm now missing some of my own Original Posts, but can often
    >> see what I've posted in other posters replies to me .. Yet I'm using
    >> a totally different (new) computer and OS (Now got XP running on a
    >> new Sont Vaio laptop .. ;))
    >>
    >> I guess my ISP (Tiscali) sucks big stylee .. Ah well, not long now to
    >> broadband bliss I hope.

    > That'll teach you to use a 2-stroke ;-)

    I once knew a man with nine fingers. He had a two-stroke which wasn't
    working well.
    So he strip out the exhaust and tried some tactile feedback.
    I had the misfotune to find him as my Headmaster at 11- 18 school.

    ilmc, Jul 22, 2003
  20. § GateKeeper §

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:33:39 +0100, in
    <s5iTa.477$>
    ilmc scrawled:

> [...]

    >> were sadly to seek -- Times Literary Supplement>
    >> - seek·er noun
    >>
    >> It's rather clear that 'sought' would be more appropriate.
    >>
    >> "Bright ideas are two-a-penny, good ideas, OTOH, are much
    >> more sought after" is much more appropriate, especially when you look
    >> at the ideas expressed in this thread. Gatekeeper has an idea. If
    >> it's a good one, people will seek it out (sought). They are not going
    >> to classify, clarify, or put it in order; he already has it and has
    >> classified it himself, i.e., "Have spambot check your e-mail server
    >> before you download from it. Like Mail Washer, but have it catch only
    >> the spam, And you can add to blacklist." They are, however, going to
    >> 'seek' him and his idea out in order to utilize it.
    >>
    >> "And thus ends your grammar lesson for today."
    >>
    >> <snip>'

    >Such erudition! I was only enjoying a pun.

    My thoughts, too.

    --
    "Life is fun on the cutting edge, even if you tend to bleed a lot."

    °Mike°, Jul 22, 2003