Briefcase Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -- Alan --, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. -- Alan --

    -- Alan -- Guest

    Hello,

    I am trying to set up Microsoft Brief case to duplicate my data drive (D:)
    onto an external hard drive (F:). I created an empty briefcase on F: and
    dragged all the data from D: that I wanted duplicated into it.

    The properties of the this data on D: is
    50.8 Gigs - 13,943 files 800 Folders.

    After a couple of hours it finished copying. The briefcase said that the
    status was 'Up to Date', but when I selected the briefcase contents and
    looked at the properties it said
    50.8 Gigs - 11,897 files 800 folders.

    Although the Gigs and Folders values are correct, it appears that there are
    2046 files missing. But they can't be really be as both readings show
    50.8gig

    If it helps, here's the exact bytes

    D:
    50.8 GB
    size 54,566,916,373
    size on disc 54,596,784,128

    In Briefcase
    50.8 GB
    size - 54,546,936,306
    size on disc - 54,572,511,232

    I am using Win XP Pro SP1

    Thank a lot

    Alan

    -- Alan --, Aug 18, 2003

  2. -- Alan --

    °Mike° Guest

    Why would you use Briefcase to duplicate your drive? There
    are far better alternatives, like Norton Ghost, Drive Image etc.

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:19:16 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bhrjd4$9f1$>
    -- Alan -- scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2003

  3. -- Alan --

    -- Alan -- Guest

    Most of the data I have are MP3's. I play these on other people's comp's.

    I think drive image or ghost compress's all the files into one file. If
    this is the case then I won't be able to play them unless the persons comp I
    am using has ghost or drive image installed. Am I right in assuming that?

    Thanks

    -- Alan --, Aug 19, 2003
  4. -- Alan --

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes. I thought you were using it purely for backup purposes.

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:08:11 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bhrm8r$fhl$>
    -- Alan -- scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 19, 2003
  5. -- Alan --

    JabberSmith Guest

    "-- Alan --" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to set up Microsoft Brief case to duplicate my data drive (D:)
    > onto an external hard drive (F:). I created an empty briefcase on F: and
    > dragged all the data from D: that I wanted duplicated into it.

    How bout a batch file? Xcopy is your friend. (Or RoboCopy would work too.)
    Use the command line switches to check for and copy files that are new.
    Cheap, and fast.

    > The properties of the this data on D: is
    > 50.8 Gigs - 13,943 files 800 Folders.
    >
    > After a couple of hours it finished copying. The briefcase said that the
    > status was 'Up to Date', but when I selected the briefcase contents and
    > looked at the properties it said
    > 50.8 Gigs - 11,897 files 800 folders.

    You carry too much crap around. How you gonna go through 50 gigs of MP3s?
    That's like 2 weeks of continuous music.

    Burn a couple DVDs or CDRs and take one to your work site to listen to.

    > Although the Gigs and Folders values are correct, it appears that there

    are
    > 2046 files missing. But they can't be really be as both readings show
    > 50.8gig

    So is your problem you do not understand what the properties box told you or
    that you are missing files? Find one that is missing yet? Sure it's not
    system files or hidden other miscellaneous crap you wouldnt copy with a
    simple drag/drop? No point copying the swap file or hidden recycling bin...
    Windows will hide a lot of that stuff from you but still counts it in the
    properties box. If you copied an entire drive (root on down) that is
    probably the source of the discrpancy.

    JabberSmith, Aug 19, 2003