brief questions on basic stuff

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by mat, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. mat

    mat Guest

    Fairly computer literate, just haven't been interested in playing
    video unitl now. Can anyone map out the different software components
    necessary to get a working DVD player? I understand that different
    filters are available for the various components of the DVD (i.e.
    audio, video subtitles). Do the different filters cater for different
    encodings or do some filters decode the same formats only with
    differing success?

    A friend has given me some films encoded as .ogg files and also lumped
    some software in with them. A few questions:

    is .ogg a codec or a container for components encoded with various
    other codecs? Are any codecs allowed to be combined in .ogg?

    One of the apps he gave me was Zoom player. Where does this stand in
    the scheme of things? Is this 'simply' a frontend that utilises
    third-party filters to decode the DVD? i.e. Should I be able to play
    a DVD with only Zoom installed.

    Also: In the system I've just built I've installed a Samsung DVD-ROM
    which the reseller (www.overclockers.co.uk) changed to a region-free
    player. It works fine as a drive but I'm not able to play any DVDs on
    it? I've tried fiddling with DVDGenie but to no avail.

    Finally, can anyone detail what they would consider an optimal setup?

    Thanks very much in advance for any help
    Feel free to point me to the FAQs you think I should have read before
    posting!
    Cheers
    mat, Nov 25, 2003