Brief impressions of Chinese Nikon-lens-to-EOS adapter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael A. Covington, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. I received my Chinese-made Nikon-lens-to-EOS adapter (purchased on eBay)
    today and used it to try some Nikon lenses on my Digital Rebel. Brief
    impressions:

    (1) Of course, there is no autofocus or aperture coupling; you have to focus
    manually, set the aperture on the lens, and use the camera on Av or M.

    (2) It focuses to infinity. In fact it is 0.5 mm thinner than it needs to
    be. As a result infinity is actually somewhat short of the infinity mark.
    This is more than enough room for variation between lenses.

    (3) It is somewhat hard to remove from the Nikon lens. The secret is to
    notice how the little push-tab works. Instead of pressing the edge of the
    tab as if it were a lever, press as near to the middle of it as you can get.
    It's best to pay attention to how this works before attaching it to a lens.

    (4) Once the Nikon lens has been stopped down, it's hard to open it all the
    way up again. Something is bumping part of the Canon body, I think. To
    open the lens up I sometimes had to remove the whole thing from the camera.

    I'll post a review of this on www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr soon.
    (astrophotography with long Nikon lenses on Canon body), but I can see why
    there's a market for more expensive ones.

    Should I buy the Ukrainian one, I wonder? Or bite the bullet and pay big
    bucks for Novoflex?

    --
    Clear skies,

    Michael A. Covington