Bridging Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUdlb3JnZQ==?=, Oct 31, 2006.

  1. I have a desktop machine (Desktop1) with LAN and WLAN connections; a laptop
    machine which I used to connect over the WLAN and another desktop machine
    (Desktop2) which connects over the WLAN. The WLAN is ad-hoc, and internet
    connection sharing is provided by Desktop1 via a USB ADSL modem.

    I have now conected the laptop and Desktop1 with an ethernet crossover
    cable, and re-established internet connection sharing on Desktop1 with a
    Network Bridge. The ethernet connection between the laptop and Desktop1
    works perfectly at 1Gb/s. Both computers can see each other and the laptop
    gets an internet feed from Desktop1. However, the WLAN connection with
    Desktop 2 will not work if it is inside the bridge. (I have also tried it
    with the laptop with the LAN connection disabled.) The connection appears to
    be made on both machines, but the machines do not see each other in My
    Network Places.

    If I remove the WLAN connection from the bridge (using the right click
    menu), it works again, for both the laptop and Desktop2, (though, of course,
    they cannot share Desktop1's internet connection) - Desktop1 can see both the
    laptop and Desktop2 in My Network Places, but the laptop and Desktop2 cannot
    see each other. If I return the WLAN connection to the bridge (right click
    menu again), the wireless connections again show as connected, but there is
    no functionality. I have tried switching the WLAN connection into and out of
    the bridge several times, and the results are consistent - it works outside
    the bridge but not inside.

    Any ideas, please?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUdlb3JnZQ==?=, Oct 31, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUdlb3JnZQ==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    First of all not all wireless cards and drivers support bridging. So it
    simply might not be possible with your hardware. If you have setup ICS
    correctly you should be able to both connect to the Internet and share
    resources. Bridging and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) are not the same
    thing. It's unclear to me just what hardware you are connecting by ICS, and
    what hardware you are bridging.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Oct 31, 2006

  3. David

    Thanks for your response. The hardware I am trying to bridge is an ASUS
    802.11b/g Wireless LAN Card and a Marvel Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
    controller, both integrated onto my ASUS A8V-E Deluxe mobo. I appreciate
    that bridging and ICS are not the same thing, but when I set up ICS on
    Desktop1 for the new ethernet link from the laptop (after disabling the
    previous ICS which was for the WLAN connections which I was using for both
    the laptop and Desktop2) the bridge was set up automatically when I checked
    that I wanted both the LAN and the WLAN connection to be able to use ICS, so
    I assume that either only one network or a bridge can share the internet
    connection. (Certainly when the WLAN connection on Desktop1 is outside the
    bridge the other 2 machines cannot access the internet over the WLAN, as they
    could in my original setup, before the bridge was created.)

    Desktop1 is essentially the hub of my system. It has the adaptors for both
    networks enabled; it also connects to the internet via the USB ADSL modem.
    The laptop is connected to Desktop1 by an ethernet x-over cable, i.e. direct
    cable between ethernet ports on the 2 machines, no router. The ethernet
    connection on Desktop1 is inside the bridge, and works fine. Desktop2 (in
    another room) connects to Desktop1 over the WLAN. (It does have its own
    internet connection, so ICS is not important for this machine, but did work
    prior to the bridge.) My main requirement is that all 3 machines should be
    able to see each other, and I did think it would be undesirable to have the
    laptop connected to Desktop1 both by ethernet and WLAN, so that the only way
    would be to bridge the 2 networks on Desktop1. However, I have now tried
    enabling both ethernet and WLAN on the laptop, and there does not seem to be
    any conflict, so I think I have solved my problem; I am going to delete the
    bridge and restrict ICS to the ethernet connection. I remain puzzled,
    though, that the WLAN connection would not work inside the bridge.

    WilliamGeorge

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUdlb3JnZQ==?=, Oct 31, 2006
  4. Hi

    It is a little hard to follow the all story, so let me try in general.

    Bridging is used to connect two Networks, and has nothing to do with sharing
    Internet.

    Therefore, if you do not want the Internet at the second computer you can
    configure the second computer with a static IP and configure the Host
    computer Ethernet card with a static IP of the same subnet, you should be
    able to share files, No Bridging, and ICS is necessary.

    If you want to Share the Internet connection, you need a Routing agent.
    Bridging does Not Route so you have to use ICS.

    If your DSL USB is a combo Modem/Router, then you have to use Bridging (and
    switch ICS off) in order to avoid double NATing.

    If the two computers have viable ping able connection, and your File Sharing
    does not work it might me another issue.

    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    to be shared.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 31, 2006
  5. Jack

    Thanks for your comments. I am sorry if the problem is a little hard to
    follow - a diagram would help. As you may have seen from my second post, I
    have solved my problem at least to the extent of achieving the functionality
    I need.

    I understand that bridging is to connect 2 (or more) networks. However, it
    DID seem to be involved in ICS, because it was at the point of going through
    the Network Setup Wizard (after identifying the connection to the internet),
    where it asks to "Select your private connection", that it says the wizard
    will create a bridge if more than one is selected. This is what I did when I
    tried to allow both the LAN and the WLAN to use ICS via Desktop1.

    My Desktop1 is connected to the internet by a plain USB ADSL modem, i.e. not
    a router (there are no hardware routers anywhere in the system, although it
    seems to me that a bridge is essentially a software router) so no problem of
    double NATing. The wizard assigned a fixed IP address to the bridge
    (192.168.0.1), and I left DHCP enabled on both the other machines. They
    receive dynamic IP addresses OK.

    However, ICS is probably a red-herring, because the networks just won't
    communicate across the bridge. The LAN worked inside the bridge (i.e. the 2
    computers connected by ethernet see each other), and the WLAN connections
    seem to get set up on all 3 machines, but there is no communication between
    the machines over the WLAN. But, if I remove the WLAN from the bridge, the
    machines DO see each other over the WLAN.

    I don't think there is much mileage in pursuing this thread further. The
    conclusion I came to about 6 months ago is that wireless networks are far
    from simple, and not very robust.

    Regards
    WilliamGeorge

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbGlhbUdlb3JnZQ==?=, Oct 31, 2006