Bridging the wireless and other connections

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Hi Folks,
    need some help with bridging.
    My home network setup is the following:
    ADSL ASUS modem router IP 192.168.0.1 setup as a DHCP enabled for the range
    192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.100
    wire connected to
    wireless DLink access point AP900+ IP 192.168.0.3 DHCP server disabled
    and three PCs on Dling DWL 520 wireless network adapters operated by WXP Pro
    SP2
    fixed IP addresses 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.6
    DNS set on each to 192.168.0.1 (the ASUS router)
    subnetmasks for each component of the network 255.255.255.0

    comment: for the setup I should not need the router be set as a DHCP server
    but if I disable it I loose Internet connectivity, probably access to DNS
    servers is lost in this case so I have it enabled eventhough no address is
    effectively assigned to any PC (these are manually set as described above)
    ----------------

    Now, if I bridge on any PC a wireless adapter with any other network
    adapter, say 1394 one (but for ethrnet adapters it is about the same) I loose
    my internet connectivity (can not access say www.ibm.com and even the HTTP
    192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.3 accesses to the ASUS router and Dlink AP do not
    function). The newly established bridge shows a strange external IP address
    169.254.114.169 with a different subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and there is no DNS
    address assigned.

    If I manually edit the IP and DNS addresses in the property sheet of the
    Bridge to make them
    192.168.0.6 and 192.168.0.1 respeectively the situation is not any better.
    No internet, no HTTP acces to the router and/or the wireless access point.

    If I delete the bridge and REPAIR the wireless connection, everything is
    back and OK again. Bridging to connections probably somehow destroys access
    to DNS servers and so to the Internet (my amateur understanding and
    explanation of what I am observing).
    Can anyone help or give a lead,pls?
    Many thanks for any assistance.

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=, Dec 1, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=

    Tanya Guest

    Bridging usually happens if you use the network wizard. If you must use the
    wizard then
    Tell the Wizard that the computers connect to the Internet "through a
    residential gateway" (router). Other options, like "directly to the
    Internet" or "through a network hub" will block file and printer
    sharing. Also this KB
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283429

    Tanya, Dec 1, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    It is not clear what you are trying to achieve?

    DSL Modem/Router combos are not usually as flexible as the stand alone
    Routers, the DNS issue might be a shortcoming of the unit.

    Using WinXP Bridging changes the way the IPs work, and it is done for a
    purpose since bridging creates a Bridge between two Networks that are not on
    the same IP band. It is not clear what you are trying to achieve by
    bridging?

    If you need to Bridge Wireless for Distance issues it is done like this:
    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Hi Tanya,
    thanks for your efforts to find a cure for my prob..
    My objective is rather the opposite I DO want to bridge two connections.
    Actually in a wireless network on Dlink adapters I intend to interconnect two
    computers in the network by an additional twisted PC to PC ethernet wire to
    strenghten/double/insecure the connection between them. Think of it like a
    star shaped wireless network with one Dlink access point AP 900+ in the
    middle, more PCs at the and of the stars arrays two of which are
    interconnected by an ethernet wire so that the communication flow between the
    two concerned PCs can either go throug the air using the wireless access
    point or directly by wire (set by a preference rules in WXPP SP2).
    ----------
    I can set up the wire connection between the two computers as a separate
    segment with adresses like 192.168.1.X as opposed to the wireless network
    segment using the 192.168.0.x segment addresses.
    I wanted to bridge the two (wireless nand wire) segments on the two PCs to
    make them appear as a one address each and that was what failed. I learned
    that the bridging failurre (loosing Internet connectivity) occures even in
    more general cases like I described earlier , even if I wan to bridge the
    wireless connection with something that simple like 1394 I just loose the
    internet connectivity.
    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Hi Jack,
    thanks for your efforts to find a cure for my prob..
    My objective is to bridge two connections on one PC. Actually in a wireless
[...]
    Thanks for any proposal or suggesion

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=, Dec 2, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    It can not work this way. You are trying to make a Network that does not
    meant for peer to peer Entry Level Hardware.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 2, 2004
  7. OK, Jack, thank you for your answer.
    I do not fully understand what you ment by Network that ?is? not ment for
    peer-to-peer Entry Level Hardware. I do not know what ELH is?
    I do not have but wireless peer-to-peer network and all the hardware work
    ok, until I want to bridge two adapters in any PC.
    But let us simplify the problem:
    even if I want to attach another, say new (marked A), standalone PC with no
    wireless but ethernet adapter to the standing network I can connect it by an
    ethernet wire to one of the wireless network PCs (marked B) providing it has
    an ethernet adapter also. Then I would bridge the two (ethernet and wireless)
    adapters in the PC marked B. This should be fully supported by WXPPro. But
    when I bridge I loose the internetet connectivity and I loose it even if I
    bridge the wireless adapter with any other commu adapter on the said PC B.
    That is what bothers me.
    Thanks for uyour opinion.
    Petr

    =?Utf-8?B?UHJva2k=?=, Dec 2, 2004