Bridges and Collisions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HelloThere52, Jul 30, 2008.

  1. HelloThere52

    HelloThere52

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Here's a question I've been wondering...

    I know a bridge segments two collision domains. What happens, though, when a bridge sends a message to a segment at the same time that another host from that segment places a message on the wire?

    Is there a collision?

    How is it detected?

    Normally, the 2 hosts who send messages at the same time will realize what happened, and issue a jam signal in order that they can re-send their messages. But when a bridge and a host send a message at the same time, does CSMA/CD work the same way with a bridge and a host?

    ABC (Bridge) XYZ

    If A sends a message to X at the same time Y sends a message to X, I assume the latency in the bridge will cause both messages not to collide. But if the bridge gets the message from A and places it on the segment at the same time that Y places its message to X on the segment, won't the messages collide? How will the bridge or A detect that a collision has occurred?

    Thanks!

    HelloThere52, Jul 30, 2008