    the problem I have is that I do not have file sharing enabled. The
    reason; I can't find where on this computer I can do that. Any
    suggestions?? Is that even my problem??

    Slaz, Dec 3, 2009

  2. Slaz

    James Egan Guest

    On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:17:33 GMT, Slaz <> wrote:

    >I am running a Hp laptop with Windows XP Home. I am attempting to bridge
    >my wireless connection with my Local Area connection. It shows that it
    >is bridged. However, I can not get a internet connection. I do believe
    >the problem I have is that I do not have file sharing enabled. The
    >reason; I can't find where on this computer I can do that. Any
    >suggestions?? Is that even my problem??

    Your internet connection isn't dependent on file sharing being
    enabled. What do you need the bridge for? Are you trying to supply
    Internet to other computers with ICS? More details required.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Dec 3, 2009

  3. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Presently I have three computers sharing one internet connection. My
    internet arrives to my home via a DSL connection to a wireless
    modem/hub. My main computer and my wife's computer are hard wired. My
    laptops use a wireless connection. I am trying to set up one of the
    laptops so that it shares it's connection with a gaming device. I
    thought I would connect such a device to the laptops "Local area
    connection" via a cable; bridge the wireless connection and the local
    area connection of the laptop and I would be a go! However; appears to
    be easier said than done. When I bridge; I loose the internet connection.
    One laptop has Windows XP Home. It bridges; but looses it's internet
    connection.
    The other laptop has Windows Vista; when I attempt to bridge it; I get
    an error message that tells me I can't bridge a connection the uses
    Internet sharing!
    My main computer has Windows 7. I will try with that and see what
    happens. Me thinks that I will get the same error message as the Vista!

    Slaz, Dec 3, 2009
  4. Slaz

    James Egan Guest

    On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:21:37 GMT, Slaz <> wrote:

    >Presently I have three computers sharing one internet connection. My
    >internet arrives to my home via a DSL connection to a wireless
    >modem/hub. My main computer and my wife's computer are hard wired. My
    >laptops use a wireless connection. I am trying to set up one of the
    >laptops so that it shares it's connection with a gaming device. I
    >thought I would connect such a device to the laptops "Local area
    >connection" via a cable; bridge the wireless connection and the local
    >area connection of the laptop and I would be a go! However; appears to
    >be easier said than done. When I bridge; I loose the internet connection.
    >One laptop has Windows XP Home. It bridges; but looses it's internet
    >connection.
    >The other laptop has Windows Vista; when I attempt to bridge it; I get
    >an error message that tells me I can't bridge a connection the uses
    >Internet sharing!
    >My main computer has Windows 7. I will try with that and see what
    >happens. Me thinks that I will get the same error message as the Vista!

    You don't need to enable internet connection sharing since the router
    is already sharing the connection. The bridge you are setting up
    should be sufficient to establish a connection between a wired device
    connected to the laptop LAN port and the wireless router. Here's some
    instructions for xp.
    Sometimes bridging can be a bit stubborn and an equivalent workable
    solution can be achieved through routing but it's a bit harder to
    configure.

    Jim

    James Egan, Dec 3, 2009
  5. Hi
    When you Bridge in a network that has already one Router, there is No need
    for ICS, once the Bridge is done the Bridged devices should get an IP from
    the Router.
    However you are dealing with Game box and it might be that it is Not
    flexible enough to Bridge.
    Try to set the wire NIC on the Laptop and the Box, to a static IPs that is
    Not of the same subnet as the main Router.
    I.e., if main Router is 192.168.1.x Box and laptop's wire NICs should be
    192.168.20.x
    Make sure that there is a valid connection between the Box and the laptop,
    only then Bridge in the Laptop the Wire NIC to the Wireless.
    The Laptop must run a version of Windows that supports Bridging.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 4, 2009
  6. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Thanks for your prompt replies and info. I must admit that I gave up
    after about six hours of reading and experimenting. I went out and spent
    $ on a Netgear print server. It took a bit to get set up but it is
    working fine right now.
    Thanks again.

    Slaz, Dec 4, 2009