    news:abec5$44bd3f6d$57d48302$...

    > Rutger

    Breathtakingly bland.

    Helen, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Rutger

    Tony Polson Guest

    "Helen" <> wrote:

    >"Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >news:abec5$44bd3f6d$57d48302$...
    >>
    >> Rutger
    >>

    >Breathtakingly bland.

    Some nice macro work on his Flickr site, though.

    Tony Polson, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Rutger

    Rutger Guest

    "Helen" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Rutger
    >>

    > Breathtakingly bland.

    Since English is not my native tongue, could you please explain what you
    mean by 'bland'?

    Rutger

    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/

    Rutger, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Rutger

    Helen Guest

    "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    > "Helen" <> schreef in bericht

    >> Breathtakingly bland.

    > Since English is not my native tongue, could you please explain what you
    > mean by 'bland'?
    >
    > Rutger

    This says it better than I can:
    http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/bland - the first meaning there.

    Helen, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Rutger

    Rutger Guest

    "Helen" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >> "Helen" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> Breathtakingly bland.

    >> Since English is not my native tongue, could you please explain what you
    >> mean by 'bland'?
    >>
    >> Rutger
    >>

    > This says it better than I can:
    > http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/bland - the first meaning there.

    Do you care to tell why? Just a simple remark doesn't say much.

    Rutger

    --
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager/

    Rutger, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Rutger

    y_p_w Guest

    Rutger wrote:
    > "Helen" <> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Rutger
    > >>

    > > Breathtakingly bland.

    > Since English is not my native tongue, could you please explain what you
    > mean by 'bland'?

    "Bland" is generally a term to describe food that is flavorless.
    Otherwise it means something that is uninteresting or plain. I
    agree that it's a rather ordinary looking bridge, but it was probably
    a worthwhile exercise.

    I suppose a "less bland" result would be the Golden Gate or
    Sundial Bridge. If you come out to San Francisco, you can get
    a similar angle from Fort Point, which is located directly under
    the Golden Gate Bridge.

    Here's the Sundial Bridge.

    <http://www.turtlebay.org/sundial/sundial03.shtml>

    y_p_w, Jul 18, 2006
  8. Rutger

    George Kerby Guest

    George Kerby, Jul 19, 2006
  9. Rutger

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    following:

    >> Rutger
    >>

    >Breathtakingly bland.

    I like the shapes and colour in IMG_7397. IMG_7398 is good but I would
    probably have done a long vertical crop to get rid of most of the
    graffiti

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

    Geoff Berrow, Jul 19, 2006
  10. Rutger

    Nemo Guest

    Helen wrote:
    > "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >> Rutger
    >>

    > Breathtakingly bland.

    I think an ultra wide would have made it more interesting and I would
    have chosen another time of day. Maybe a sunset. We are lucky in Perth.
    we have almost the same style of bridge with the lights of Perth making
    a perfect backdrop.

    P.S.Don't get me started about the aperture shadows. Get a lens hood son.

    Nemo, Jul 19, 2006
  11. Rutger

    Annika1980 Guest

    Helen wrote:
    > > Since English is not my native tongue, could you please explain what you
    > > mean by 'bland'?
    > >
    > > Rutger
    > >

    > This says it better than I can:
    > http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/bland - the first meaning there.

    While you're at it you might wanna look up "lens flare."

    Annika1980, Jul 19, 2006
  12. Rutger <> observed
    >"Helen" <> schreef in bericht
    >>
    >> "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Helen" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> Since English is not my native tongue, could you please explain what you
    >>> mean by 'bland'?
    >>>
    >>> Rutger
    >>>

    >> This says it better than I can:
    >> http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/bland - the first meaning there.
    >>

    >Do you care to tell why? Just a simple remark doesn't say much.

    I don't disagree with the term 'bland', they are *OK*, but I wouldn't
    have drawn them to these groups' attention, because apart from the nice
    bridge shape there is little else.

    There is a uniformity of tone, with overexposure outside the bridge
    itself, and nothing *dramatic* to focus or grab attention. And I don't
    like water that isn't level[1] (in a couple of them) it worries me!!

    Mike

    [1] For a joke about myself see...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/120721360/

    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><

    Michael J Davis, Jul 19, 2006
  13. Rutger

    Smee R11S Guest

    Rutger wrote:
    > "Helen" <> schreef in bericht
    >> "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Helen" <> schreef in bericht
    >>> Since English is not my native tongue, could you please explain what you
    >>> mean by 'bland'?
    >>>
    >>> Rutger
    >>>

    >> This says it better than I can:
    >> http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/bland - the first meaning there.
    >>

    > Do you care to tell why? Just a simple remark doesn't say much.
    >
    > Rutger

    Every photo is overexposed for starters and there is lens flare in most
    of them.
    The horizons are very crooked unless you were trying to make it look
    like something special which it isn't.
    The graffiti takes away from the structure of the bridge because you are
    forced to look at it rather than the bridge, you should have used
    airbrushing or cloning top get rid of it.
    Overall those pictures are shithouse.

    Smee R11S, Jul 19, 2006
  14. Rutger

    Tony Polson Guest

    Smee R11S <> wrote:

    >Every photo is overexposed for starters and there is lens flare in most
    >of them.
    >The horizons are very crooked unless you were trying to make it look
    >like something special which it isn't.
    >The graffiti takes away from the structure of the bridge because you are
    >forced to look at it rather than the bridge, you should have used
    >airbrushing or cloning top get rid of it.
    >Overall those pictures are shithouse.

    Where can we see your pictures? They must be really good, given the
    extremely derogatory comments you have made about Rutger's efforts.

    So what is the URL of your online album?

    Tony Polson, Jul 19, 2006
  15. Rutger

    Rutger Guest

    Rutger, Jul 19, 2006
  16. Rutger

    DAVE PRICE Guest

    "Helen" <> wrote in message

    > "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Rutger
    >>

    > Breathtakingly bland.

    Is my Picture also Bland?
    Please see http://djmp.co.uk/slr 1/bridge.htm
    DAVE

    DAVE PRICE, Jul 19, 2006
  17. On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 04:21:39 GMT, Nemo <> wrote:

    >I think an ultra wide would have made it more interesting and I would
    >have chosen another time of day. Maybe a sunset. We are lucky in Perth.
    >we have almost the same style of bridge with the lights of Perth making
    >a perfect backdrop.

    I knew there had to be SOME compensations for living in Perth.....

    David Springthorpe, Jul 20, 2006
  18. Rutger

    Nemo Guest

    David Springthorpe wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 04:21:39 GMT, Nemo <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think an ultra wide would have made it more interesting and I would
    >> have chosen another time of day. Maybe a sunset. We are lucky in Perth.
    >> we have almost the same style of bridge with the lights of Perth making
    >> a perfect backdrop.

    > I knew there had to be SOME compensations for living in Perth.....

    We may have suicide bombers but they die of boredom before they push the
    button. :)

    Nemo, Jul 20, 2006
  19. Rutger

    Smee R11S Guest

    Tony Polson wrote:
    > Smee R11S <> wrote:
    >
    >> Every photo is overexposed for starters and there is lens flare in most
    >> of them.
    >> The horizons are very crooked unless you were trying to make it look
    >> like something special which it isn't.
    >> The graffiti takes away from the structure of the bridge because you are
    >> forced to look at it rather than the bridge, you should have used
    >> airbrushing or cloning top get rid of it.
    >> Overall those pictures are shithouse.

    > Where can we see your pictures? They must be really good, given the
    > extremely derogatory comments you have made about Rutger's efforts.
    >
    > So what is the URL of your online album?

    Which part of my comments were derogatory?
    I outlined where they needed improvement since he asked because at
    present they ARE shithouse.
    That doesn't make it derogatory just descriptive.
    In australia, "shithouse" isn't a derogatory term just a description
    that says this isn't good enough.
    If you take offence to the word shit then get a life.

    Smee R11S, Jul 20, 2006
  20. DAVE PRICE <> observed

    >"Helen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rutger" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Rutger
    >>>

    >> Breathtakingly bland.
    >>

    >Is my Picture also Bland?
    >Please see http://djmp.co.uk/slr 1/bridge.htm
    >DAVE

    Nah! That's nice!

    btw, lens hood is a perfectly acceptable term - it doesn't need
    'quotes'!!

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><