Bridge/workgroup bridge scenario and channels

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chris_D, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. Chris_D

    Chris_D Guest

    I have been asked to provide a point - point wireless link between a
    site with an adequate WAN connection and one with no WAN connection
    then access from three small wired networks.

    I have access to the following equipment ..

    2 X Cisco 350 Wireless Bridges
    5 X Cisco 1231 Access Points

    I propose the follwing scenario ... a Root Bridge (Cisco 350) on the
    WAN site, a Non Root Bridge on the non WAN site (Cisco 350) (for the
    link) and three 1200 Access Points (in workgroup bridge mode).

    I will use the two 350's to set up the point - point link back to the
    WAN connection and use the 1231's in workgroup bridge mode as the link
    back to the wireless network for the 3 wired networks.

    The question I have is regarding the channels to use, I understand
    that both the 350 bridges need to be on the same channel and have
    assigned them channel 1, but I can find no documentation to indicate
    which channels I should have the workgroup bridges on.

    I realise that as I am using 802.11b devices I should only be using
    channels 1, 6 and 11 so I don't have much room for manoeuvre and would
    appreciate any advice.

    Drop the ZZZ to reply

    Cheers ...

    Chris_D, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Chris,

    Am I following your proposed topology correctly?
    I have it like this:

    [rootBR350]~~~[nonrootBR350]~~~[wgb1]
    ~~~[wgb2]
    ~~~[wgb3]

    I.e. there is no wired infrastructure
    at all?

    In that case, since nonrootBR350 has only
    one radio, and all of your equipment must
    connect to nonrootBR350, then all equipment
    must be set to the same channel.

    There is no significant performance
    difference between channels 1, 6, 11, unless
    your site has some specific interference
    pattern.

    Regards,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~

    Aaron Leonard, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Chris_D

    Chris_D Guest

    Thanks for that Aaron,

    I have a test scenario set up and all seems to be well although my
    workgroup bridges only seemed to want to connect to the root bridge.

    I have to set up a second ssid on the non root bridge for the
    workgroup bridges to associate to and this seems to do the job.

    Drop the ZZZ to reply

    Cheers ...

    Chris_D, Aug 3, 2005
  4. OK cool.

    I believe that you should be able to configure the
    WGBs preferentially to associate with the nonroot
    bridge rather than with the root bridge, by using
    the "parent" command under the radio interface.
    (This was designed for use in repeater rather than
    WGB mode, but I think it should work in WGB mode too.)

    Regards,

    Aaron

    ---

    ~ Thanks for that Aaron,
    ~
    ~ I have a test scenario set up and all seems to be well although my
    ~ workgroup bridges only seemed to want to connect to the root bridge.
    ~
    ~ I have to set up a second ssid on the non root bridge for the
    ~ workgroup bridges to associate to and this seems to do the job.
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~ On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:20:50 -0700, Aaron Leonard <>
    ~ wrote:
    ~
    ~ >Chris,
    ~ >
[...]
    ~ >---
    ~ >
    ~ >
    ~ >~ I have been asked to provide a point - point wireless link between a
    ~ >~ site with an adequate WAN connection and one with no WAN connection
    ~ >~ then access from three small wired networks.
    ~ >~

    Aaron Leonard, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Chris_D

    Uli Link Guest

    Aaron Leonard schrieb:

    > I believe that you should be able to configure the
    > WGBs preferentially to associate with the nonroot
    > bridge rather than with the root bridge, by using
    > the "parent" command under the radio interface.
    > (This was designed for use in repeater rather than
    > WGB mode, but I think it should work in WGB mode too.)

    What's about the limitation that an IOS device (AIR-1230) in repeater
    mode cannot associate to a VxWorks device (BR-350), or was this
    limitation removed?

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Aug 3, 2005
  6. ~
    ~ > I believe that you should be able to configure the
    ~ > WGBs preferentially to associate with the nonroot
    ~ > bridge rather than with the root bridge, by using
    ~ > the "parent" command under the radio interface.
    ~ > (This was designed for use in repeater rather than
    ~ > WGB mode, but I think it should work in WGB mode too.)
    ~ >
    ~ What's about the limitation that an IOS device (AIR-1230) in repeater
    ~ mode cannot associate to a VxWorks device (BR-350), or was this
    ~ limitation removed?

    The restriction remains afaik: an IOS repeater cannot associate
    with a VxWorks root AP. (Or at any rate, this is not supported.)

    However, it is supported (or at any rate, works) to have an IOS
    WGB associate with a VxWorks AP (/bridge with clients.)

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Chris_D

    Uli Link Guest

    Aaron Leonard schrieb:

    > ~ What's about the limitation that an IOS device (AIR-1230) in repeater
    > ~ mode cannot associate to a VxWorks device (BR-350), or was this
    > ~ limitation removed?
    >
    > The restriction remains afaik: an IOS repeater cannot associate
    > with a VxWorks root AP. (Or at any rate, this is not supported.)
    >
    > However, it is supported (or at any rate, works) to have an IOS
    > WGB associate with a VxWorks AP (/bridge with clients.)

    THX Aaron

    Simply haven't tried it. I have a WGB340 (8.89) associated to an AIR-352
    running 12.3(2)JA2 and > 3 months uptime. But that's the supported way.

    Next week I will try the new 12.3(7)JA, perhaps then the AIR-352 can
    associate with the WDS AP ( AIR-1100 with radio disabled ) which is in
    another subnet.
    Destroying any chances for "mine has the longest uptime" contest ;-)
    But I have seen old Aironet 3500 APs with uptime > 3 years.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Aug 5, 2005