    functions of a router also?

    Are there DSL modems that are not bridge modems?

    I have a Zoom 5615 bridge modem (DSL) and one computer. That's it.
    Richard Fangnail, Dec 30, 2010

  2. Richard Fangnail

    G. Morgan Guest

    Richard Fangnail <> wrote:

    >I'm sorry if I've asked this before, but I'm still confused. I've
    >also googled it and read the Wiki page for DSL modems.
    >
    >If a DSL modem is a bridge modem, does that just mean it has some
    >functions of a router also?
    >
    >Are there DSL modems that are not bridge modems?
    >
    >I have a Zoom 5615 bridge modem (DSL) and one computer. That's it.

    Bridge mode enabled modems have a crappy router built-in, and most
    of the time a switch (4 ports are most often seen in consumer
    stuff).

    If it's in bridge mode, it's in "dumb" mode... doing no routing
    and switching. It "hands off" those functions to your external
    store-bought router, which are generally superior in every way.

    So yeah, bridge mode is preferred with a good router (I like
    Linksys).

    If there is only one PC connected to the modem, leave it in the
    default mode. That way it will handle the function of IP
    assignment and do the job of the gateway directly connected to the
    'net. If you have a modem with no firewall, a direct connect is
    not recommend.

    A separate BRAND name router will always handle the traffic and
    security and WIFI better than a all-in-one modem. The only brand
    that comes close to achieving that (that I've worked on) is 2-Wire
    brand.
    G. Morgan, Dec 30, 2010

  3. Richard Fangnail

    Mike Easter Guest

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > I'm sorry if I've asked this before, but I'm still confused. I've
    > also googled it and read the Wiki page for DSL modems.
    >
    > If a DSL modem is a bridge modem, does that just mean it has some
    > functions of a router also?

    The few functions of a router which it has are address translation and
    the ability to function as a gateway-bridge for one computer.

    > Are there DSL modems that are not bridge modems?

    There are DSL modems which are gateways which function like a
    combination modem and router which can serve for multiple computers
    without any other devices.

    There are other DSL modems which are gateways which can give multiple
    NAT addresses but only have one ethernet port like yours, but all they
    need is a switch (not a router) for more ports.

    Your Zoom 5615 needs to have a router (not just a switch) to serve
    multiple computers or it can serve one computer just like it is.

    > I have a Zoom 5615 bridge modem (DSL) and one computer. That's it.

    That works.

    For more computers, you also need a router and connect the router's WAN
    to your Zoom'S ethernet port.

    Someone else who has a gateway which is more like a router with one port
    can connect a switch to that port and serve more computers.

    Someone else who has a gateway which is also a router with multiple
    ethernet ports and maybe wireless doesn't need a switch unless they
    exceed the number of ethernet ports in the gateway.

    Your Zoom's power switch also performs the same duty as unplugging the
    power source. It also has a reset button which if held in for 5 seconds
    can reset the firmware to the factory defaults. That is on that Zoom,
    unplugging is no different than the power switch for a power cycle.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 30, 2010
  4. Richard Fangnail

    Tony Guest

    There's been some questions and confusion in a previous post in regards
    why you "hard boot" (or "power drains" as chuck likes to call it) your
    DSL
    modem. I'm compiling a website for these NG's to cut down on the utter
    bullshit that's been posted in here by some posters (*caugh* chuck). So

    lets clear out the bullshit and get back to business. This took me 30
    mins
    to compile and write. This is for those who wanted to know exactly why
    you
    turn your modem on and off, and why this works.

    Power cycling your modem or hard booting your modem, by completely
    unplugging it for about 30 - 40 seconds then turn it back on again, can
    fix
    some internet connection problems. Here is a more in-depth response to
    this
    issue as to why this is done.

    This clears out your modems buffers which can get over filled due to
    Packet
    Loss; and this intern can cause your modem to loose sync with the
    connection. This is the most common problem that causes loss of sync
    with
    your connection and power cycling your modem is used to re-sync it.
    However
    this is a quick fix to this problem. In most cases this can be
    prevented by
    having the appropriate network tweaks and settings in place, which is
    something that the tech turnips at Sympatico should be informing us on.

    Supportive Research:

    http://www.dslreports.com/speed - Explains Packet Loss and other speed
    related issues, plus links to tweaks page. For those of you who notice
    decrease in speed during certain times of the day, might want to check
    out
    Enemy #3 on this page.

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111644,pg,2,00.asp# -
    Excellent
    Article.

    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ - Listed in PC World Article

    After you have ruled out all possibly for connection problems i.e..
    Routers,
    adware, viruses, browser cache etc..and if after you are still having
    Sync
    Problems with the tweaks you have done, visit section 5.3 : Sync
    Problems on
    the following site:

    http://www.docmirror.net/en/linux/howto/networking/DSL-HOWTO/tuning.html

    --
    Steve

    Richard Fangnail wrote:

    > I'm sorry if I've asked this before, but I'm still confused. I've
    > also googled it and read the Wiki page for DSL modems.
    >
    > If a DSL modem is a bridge modem, does that just mean it has some
    > functions of a router also?
    >
    > Are there DSL modems that are not bridge modems?
    >
    > I have a Zoom 5615 bridge modem (DSL) and one computer. That's it.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Dec 30, 2010
  5. What is a gateway as opposed to a router?
    Richard Fangnail, Dec 30, 2010
  6. Richard Fangnail

    Mike Easter Guest

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > What is a gateway as opposed to a router?

    I go with the wiki's description of the catchall term gateway, but since
    it is a catchall, I also accept the usage of the term in the various
    ways that the manufacturers and marketers of those terms use.

    Wiki says:
    <w> may combine a DSL modem or cable modem, a network switch, providing
    LAN switching, a consumer-grade router, and a wireless access point </w>

    Another way to look at a gateway is that it is a change of protocols,
    such as changing from the DSL protocol to the ethernet IP protocol. From
    that perspective, your Zoom 'bridge modem' is serving as a gateway and
    changing from DSL to ethernet.

    Your bridge modem acting as a gateway (to me) is *not* - does not
    contain - a router.

    When you are defining things and comparing and contrasting them, you
    have to deal with different philosophies about lumping and splitting --
    whether you want an idea to be under a big umbrella or a more specific
    thing.

    In that context, the broad umbrella of gateway can include a router in
    the gateway device (or not).

    In a residential gateway with included router, that residential router
    isn't nearly the powerful router as a 'great big' Cisco enterprise router.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 30, 2010
  7. Richard Fangnail

    Hp Guest

    On 12/30/2010 2:27 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
    > Richard Fangnail wrote:
    >> What is a gateway as opposed to a router?

    I type this based upon the years (7 plus) of using a bridge DSL modem,
    This may be different for newer hardware now.

    In one regard I like bridge modems better. For security purposes a
    bridge modem had NO security concerns. ALL it did was to provide the
    conversion from DSL to network, in other-wards, there was NOTHING in it
    to be hacked. It had NO accessible parts to it that could pose as a
    security concern via software assaults.
    SO as long as I maintained a firewall and an anti-virus software in the
    computer hooked up to it things were just fine. It also DID NOT do the
    logging on to my internet service, that too had to be a function of the
    computer.
    Hp, Dec 30, 2010
  8. Richard Fangnail

    NormanM Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 03:34:15 -0500, Tony wrote:

    > This clears out your modems buffers which can get over filled due to
    > Packet Loss;

    Okay. And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. Any other faery tails?

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come
    NormanM, Dec 30, 2010
  9. Richard Fangnail

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Richard Fangnail <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >What is a gateway as opposed to a router?

    It's a gap in the fence where you enter your yard. A high-jacked
    thread is one created by someone who doesn't know how to post,
    but does know how to reply.

    Mike "now ask about giggle gropers" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Dec 30, 2010